UKC

Oslo to Lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 29 Aug 2009
Hi folks,

am planning a trip to Norway at the end of Oct. Fly to Oslo on a Sat, stay 3 nights, then fly to Bodo and bus/ferry to Svolvaer (rather something else than helicopter). 3 days there then fly back to Oslo, 2 nights there then back to UK :0(

Does this seem the easiest way to get there? Would appreciate advice and suggestions.

Accomm in Oslo is ok, but what do you recommend in Svolvaer? Would like a decent mid priced gaff if that exists.

Also, sorry for being demanding!, what do you reckon as far as day trips/things to do that are non climbing/mountaineering related?

What does the UKC collective reckon?

Thanks, appreciate it.
Den
oui oui 29 Aug 2009
In reply to Atholl de-Saint-Croix:

Have you tried Norway's budget airline?

www.norwegian.no

I used them for my Rjukan trip earlier in the year. A good airline, maybe not as 'cheap' as Ryanair, but they give you a good luggage allowance and definitely do onward connections to places like Bodo
 bryn 30 Aug 2009
We drove it in 24 hours, but it was a mission and a half!
Think flying to Bodo then ferry to Svolvaer would be good option then hire a car from the port there to make the most of the 3 days you have.
For non-climbing stuff try whale watching loads of info in Svolvaer, and fishing too. we tried golf when the weather was bad but they wouldn't let us on the course!

Bryn
 chiverstom 30 Aug 2009

Definately try wideroe for flights from Bodo to Svolvaer (its on a small turboprop plane not a helicopter). Id imagine you are flying from Oslo to Bodo with Wideroe (they are a subsidary of SAS) so its easy to arrange and it only cost us 30 quid each way which I remember was comparable to the cost of boat and ferry but a lot quicker!

We camped or slept in the airport so cant offer you any accomodation advice and the same goes for non climbing activities as we only climbed or drank tea when the weather wasnt so great.

Have fun, its an amazing place, if you want any route reccomendations I might be more help on that front.

Tom
 hukerjohn 30 Aug 2009

Hey man,

I have a good friend who is doing a ski season and climbing season out at lofoten (he is norwegian but speaks perfect english) as an instructor. I could easily put you in touch with him and he might be able to help you out with any of your questions.

John
OP Denni 30 Aug 2009
Hi folks,
thanks for all the advice and help, appreciate it.
Have changed plans slightly and now have a travel plan sorted.

Was looking at trains, boats, car hire, etc etc then decided what I wanted to do when there so came up with the following:

UK - Oslo, Fly Oslo straight to Stavanger. 3 days there.
Fly Stavanger to Bodo, then straight to Svolvaer with Wideroe, 3 days there.
Svolvaer to Bodo, then straight to Oslo, 2 days there.
Then back to reality :0(

The total for all flights and accom is just over £750 which is a lot I know but it is a wee treat. Just have to re-mortgage to afford the food and drink now!

Been years since I have been to Stavanger and will only be my second time in Lofoten, last trip was nearly 25 years ago so am imagining a change but can't wait.

Den

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...