UKC

boot fitting problems and aching feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 vincentvega 30 Aug 2009
I have owned a pair of Scarpa sl m3's for about 2 years, using them for summer hill days etc.
The boots fit great as i spent time getting the right fit/boot when choosing them. No heel lift, enough room in the toe box, snug around the ankle etc.
My problem is that after a couple of hours wearing them on the hill, my soles of my feet, particularly around the balls of my feet and the underside of my toes at the base, end up painful. I can only describe it as a constant ache really, and an uncomfertable one.
I think il try some superfeet insoles or something similar but other than that im stuck on what the problem could be.

If anyone has had a similar problem or knows a likely cause id be greatful for your advice!

cheers

Allan
 Ander 30 Aug 2009
In reply to vincentvega:

Strengthen your feet?
 Dave Williams 30 Aug 2009
In reply to vincentvega:

Sorry but this'll probably not help you at all! I have a similar problem which has eventually been diagnosed as the onset of dropped arches, ie. flat feet. I use replacement insoles and generally live with the ache.
OP vincentvega 30 Aug 2009
In reply to vincentvega:

Its strange as other boots i own dont pose this problem.
johnSD 30 Aug 2009
In reply to Dave Williams:
> (In reply to vincentvega)
>
> Sorry but this'll probably not help you at all! I have a similar problem which has eventually been diagnosed as the onset of dropped arches, ie. flat feet. I use replacement insoles and generally live with the ache.

Bugger.

I developed the same issue with SLs over a year or so, and presumed it was down to the insoles or midsoles (if the boots have such a thing) wearing out, but never solved the problem as I moved to wearing winter boots or trail shoes instead. I sometimes get twinges of pain in my arches when running, so hopefully I'm not in line for something serious down there...
 David Hooper 30 Aug 2009
In reply to vincentvega:

If it is dropped arches there are various things you can do - superfeet, specific cheap padded arch support (from Boots - I keep one in my 1st aid in case foot flares up) - specialy moulded orthotic insoles (expensive) see a physio and get some foot exercises. Mine consists of clawing my toes up, but kind of in a controlled tensioned way, not just curling them up.

Hope this helps. Mine flares up once in a while but I can usually control it. Only on the foot where I broke an ankle a few years ago, the other foot is still perfect and pain free.
OP vincentvega 30 Aug 2009
In reply to David Hooper:

Im thinking its more the boots than my feet, as like i say, i dont have this problem or never had have with any boots.
Thats weird in its self though as i always buy scarpa as they fit me well!!

Im thinking it must be the way the sole is shaped on that model of boot or something?!

hopefuly it is anyway and superfeet will do the trick!

Cheers
 Ander 30 Aug 2009
In reply to vincentvega:

It depends on what's causing the problem- but doing some of this will be better than trying to compensate with superfeet.

http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/FootExercises.htm

Your feet, like the rest of your body needs conditioning. One problem we give ourselves is that we support our feet so well that they become weak. Sticking a pair of boots on and going hiking when you're not conditioned for it will make al your body feel tired- your feet in particular if you're not conditioned.

Unless you've got some big problem with your feet, then basically ensuring they're sufficiently conditioned should do the trick.

Dave Williams 30 Aug 2009
In reply to vincentvega:

It might have been more helpful if I'd said that I have the same Scarpa boots but it's not really any better or worse with my other boots either. The only ones that give me no issues at all are my B3 winter boots - made by Salomon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...