UKC

Advice for a moderator

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hillseeker 02 Sep 2009
Dear all,
I'm currently the moderator for a minor crag in the Midlands (Ivy Scar on the Malvern Hills). I've had a UKC user send a new route request to me for this crag but I don't believe it is worthy of route status as it basically starts up one route, traverses and finishes up another. This could be done in any combination with the routes already existing so I feel it is rather pointless and should not be allowed as a new route. I would attach a photo of the route but can't get the 'puter to do it, so email if you want to see the image. So should the route be included on the UKC database?
Cheers.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 02 Sep 2009
In reply to alw650: I'll take a look at the route, gmptvcugmp@gmail.com

I'll let you know what I think
OP Hillseeker 02 Sep 2009
In reply to 5cifi:
cheers, mailing it now.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 02 Sep 2009
In reply to alw650: Got it, I don't think I'd allow it as a new route. Agree with your OP. To much of the proposed route is on routes already.
In reply to 5cifi:

Cheers for that.
 TobyA 02 Sep 2009
In reply to alw650: Can't you, or the sender, just put the photo up in the UKC photos for everyone to see? I can be put in database for completeness even if it wouldn't go in a guidebook (not sure if Ivy Scar will ever get in a book again anyway). Its only a few bytes it uses.

I moderate loads of crags and I don't feel its my job to say what is and isn't a new route.
 tipsy 02 Sep 2009
In reply to alw650:

I'm a local and would be interested to see the photo. Who's been new routing in The Malverns. I made the mistake of that last summer and don't wish to ever again.
 Stuart S 02 Sep 2009
In reply to TobyA:

> I moderate loads of crags and I don't feel its my job to say what is and isn't a new route.

I'm the same as you, Toby - I'll include 'new' routes in the database for crags that I moderate which would have almost no chance of making it into a written guide. Why spoil someone's fun of recording a line that they've climbed just because you personally feel it's too eliminate?
 jkarran 02 Sep 2009
In reply to alw650:

I'd just let it in, it may be that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's not like it costs you any work or harms the database to allow it especially on a small local crag.

jk
 petellis 02 Sep 2009
In reply to TobyA:

> I moderate loads of crags and I don't feel its my job to say what is and isn't a new route.

aye - I'd agree, this isn't an "offical" place to record new routes. If it was me I'd just add it to the database so the guy can tick it, its not like it will cause offence is it. There is no harm in it being in the database on here and its not the moderators job to choose what is and isn't a route.

If the person that did the F.A. wants to be recognised for it then they will need to contact the proper route database or guidebook comittee anyway.
In reply to alw650: Tough call. I did a route in Portishead Quarry several years ago but because I thought it was very much an eliminate I wasn't going to bother recording it. A few weeks later I showed it to a well known local hardman, he repeated it and said that if I didn't claim it he would. So I did and it did get a mention in the new Avon guide at that time so obviously others thought it of some worth.

IMO it depends upon the amount of independent climbing. My route was 25 metres of unclimbed rock but at several points you could escape onto an easier line.

Al
 Si dH 02 Sep 2009
In reply to tradlad:
> (In reply to alw650
> IMO it depends upon the amount of independent climbing. My route was 25 metres of unclimbed rock but at several points you could escape onto an easier line.

In most cases I think you are right but there can alo be case where a new route that has virtually no independent climbing is actually a better route than any of those that it uses, or is a significantly easier way up a piece of rock than the more direct lines...in either of these case I would say it is always worth recording.

Agree with the majority of comments on this thread re: the ukc database though.
In reply to Si dH: Worth recording and mentioning, perhaps; but registering as a new route, I don't think so.

Al
 Si dH 02 Sep 2009
In reply to tradlad:
My point would be; definitely worth recording in the next guidebook. Posibly at the expense of the original route(s) and just keeping them in as a mention.
Whether you call it a 'new' route doesnt matter.

TobyA 02 Sep 2009
In reply to Si dH: And everyone should know the Ivy Scar is pretty pants to start out with!
 Enty 02 Sep 2009
In reply to tradlad:
> (In reply to alw650) Tough call. I did a route in Portishead Quarry several years ago but because I thought it was very much an eliminate I wasn't going to bother recording it. A few weeks later I showed it to a well known local hardman, he repeated it and said that if I didn't claim it he would.
>
>
Really? Even though he knew you'd done it? What a cock!
You should have let him claim it then post the details on here.

Enty

petellis 02 Sep 2009
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to tradlad)
> [...]
> Really? Even though he knew you'd done it? What a cock!
> You should have let him claim it then post the details on here.

Yeah, cos nobody likes being mauled on UKC, its not like they could just not even bother looking at the forums or anything simple like that....

In reply to Enty: I'm honestly not that concerned. It's not as though it was some 3 star mega classic. There were many routes that myself and friends claimed back in the sixties but not credited with. We put it down to not being part of the "in crowd". These were mostly freed aid climbs. One particular route that stands out was what is now Watling Street at Millstone Edge. After we claimed it and called it "Brush Off" Lenny Millsom wrote a rather derogatory article in Rocksport saying that he had done it before us and that it was little more than VS. We had graded it Extreme. The fact that it now gets E3 makes me doubt his claim but what the hell.

Al
 petestack 02 Sep 2009
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to alw650) Can't you, or the sender, just put the photo up in the UKC photos for everyone to see?

It's there now and FWIW I've just posted a comment with my (distant) opinion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...