UKC

how cold is the OMM going to be?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 08 Sep 2009
as it says really - got my first coming up next month and trying to plan how much insulation I'll need. specifically whether i can get away with my old marmot driclime as a warm layer?
 Elsieriley 08 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

I would advise wait and see what the weather forecast says. The weather is really variable so it really depends, and also depends on how much you feel the cold.

I'm a softy so always take slightly more, especially if the forecast is bad like it was last year.
 Ander 08 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

In Elan you can work on the assumption it's going to be damp, if not actually wet.

Pertinently, does a driclime come up to the standard of the fleece you have to carry?
OP FrankBooth 08 Sep 2009
In reply to Ander:
it's much warmer than most fleeces (it's got a microfleece inside anyway and a pertex-like outer) - similar to a Rab vapour-rise, so I'd expect it to pass.
The alternative is to pack a much bulkier synthetic down - which given I've just managed to get everything into my sexy new ruckack I didn't really want to do...
 Tony the Blade 08 Sep 2009
 Hammy 08 Sep 2009
I took part in the KIMM (old OMM) in 1992 and have a vivid memory of trotting over the summit of Blencathra in my Walsh and shorts in fresh shin-deep snow feeling a little underdressed....
 Jim Lancs 09 Sep 2009
Don't underestimate how much more cold you feel when knackered. The evening / night is supposed to be a time for the body to recover, which is hard to do if the muscles are still working (shivering) to keep warm.
 galpinos 09 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

For the OMM last year I took a Patagonia R1 fleece as my warm layer. I was fine in my sleeping bag but was envious of the lad near me with a down gillet. This year I'll have an R1 hoody and maybe a PHD Minimus Vest depending on forecast.

How warm is your sleeping bag? I've got a Mimum 300 (good to 0 degrees) and had a far better nights sleep than my mate in his light synthetic.
OP FrankBooth 09 Sep 2009
In reply to galpinos:
yeah i was looking at the minimus vest, too. i've got a alpkit pipedream bag (the 400 version) which is similar to my mate's 400 PHD bag (just a tad heavier).
 galpinos 09 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

Worst case scenario is you get a bit cold and end up having to get in your bag earlier. I'll be toasty in my bag so you'll be warm enough in yours.

The afternoon/evening is pretty boring once you've scoffed your eveing meal and tried not to eat all of tomorrow's food so you might as well get in your bag and recover. A pack of cards whiles away some time, as does making animals form your spare balloons of your balloon bed. My dog is pretty good but that's all I can do.
 SFM 09 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

If you decide that you want a minimus vest then give me a shout as I have one that I'm looking to sell.
In reply to SFM:
I might be - how much are you after for it (and is it a medium)?
 SFM 09 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

Yes, it's medium. £55 inc p&p.
 Bonobo 09 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

Hi Frank, What course are you running? I've always tended to take a variety of items to basecamp and then make final decisions based on prevailing conditions. The rules on clothing are quite ambiguous, specifying a "Warm layer" has always struck me as being an extra top over and above the base layer you'll be running in. My setup has varied from Lighweight micro fleece to down vest.

It's more about what your comfortable to be "Getting away with" than anything else.

Cheers
Jim
In reply to Bonobo:
doing the medium score. hopefully looking at a better result than the LAMM (we came last... as in completely last).
OP FrankBooth 13 Sep 2009
In reply to SFM:
sorry SFM - just noticed your replay - and stupidly i went out and bought one full price in the meantime
 SFM 17 Sep 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:

Ya divvy. Just send it back and buy mine istead :O)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...