UKC

Feet in the Clouds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Peters 09 Sep 2009
I realise that I am way behind the curve on this one but having just read 'Feet in the Clouds' by Richard Askwith I felt compelled to recommend it to anyone like myself who is/was not familiar with it. The subtitle 'A tale of Fell Running and Obesssion' pretty much sums it up, its very readable and highly amusing, whilst containing a wealth of information on the history of fell running. I should add that I have never tried any form of running let alone fell running (I'll stick to the cycling) so it's not just for the purists

I could not resist adding this short text about the legendary scottish fell runner/taxi driver Eddie Campbell, who bored with the beaurocracy surrounding fell racing decided to organise his own race :-

"Thanks for turning up lads, now this is to be the start and we're going to run through the Lairig to Coylumbridge, turn left and finish at Avimore Police station. Its about 27 miles. Ready? Go!" In later years the Scottish AAA refused him a race permit, to which he responded by inviting the cream of Lochaber AA to "accompany him on an unofficial run over this famous pass". He later formalised this race by creating a flyer boasting that the race offered ' NO PERMIT - NO OFFICIALS .... Nothing will be organised, NOTHING. There will be nobody to blame .... Be sensible and DO NOT COME ...'

A good read for everyone who appreciates obsession.
 Castleman 09 Sep 2009
In reply to David Peters:

Yup, great book. Just read it again, inspiring.
 Liam M 09 Sep 2009
In reply to David Peters:
>
> A good read for everyone who appreciates obsession.

Though dangerous as it can stimulate an increased amount of time running around clag covered hills, and contemplating the idea that maybe one day you could run a BG! It creates as much obsession as it reports.
 skeev 09 Sep 2009
In reply to David Peters: Great book. By turns amusing, astonishing and inspiring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...