/ PRODUCT NEWS: Black Diamond Sabretooth Crampons
Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2104
Mmm. Stainless steel.
they won't be shiney for long, maybe the SS is a good idea but hardly worth replacing perfectly good poons for!
Stainless is no better than carbon steel. In fact it might well be considerably worse for use in crampons. There are some very good reasons for NOT using stainless steel and one of the few advantages (that it doesn't rust) is easily sorted by drying out your kit properly after each trip out.
Don't believe me? Then take a look at Grivels website....In summary: SS-v-chromolly
1. NO weight advantage - same material density = same weight for the same design.
2. SS is softer (therefore blunts more easily) for the same strength/toughness... (anybody got access to a harness tester to check the alloy that BD are using versus Grivel?)
3. Anti-balling abillty - After they've been scratched to buggery any advantage will be lost, but you're almost certainly going to use anti-balling plates anyway, so who cares ?
4. SS is shiney - they're on the bottom of my feet, so again who cares? A total marketing gimmick.
5. SS doesn't rust. So what? Its not as if you're going in the sea with them. Just dry them and spray with WD40.
The disadvatage of stainless being softer SHOULD easily outweigh any benefit of better cosmetics.
I think we all know its marketing but as my old BD's are on gtheir last legs I don't need much in the way encouragement to spend a few more quid.
Interesting read though and thought provoking, so will have a good think about which I buy as a replacement, once again cheers.
Elsewhere on the site
Perhaps the perfect Xmas gift for the climber in your life... Wild Country's Crack School has two of the worlds best crack... Read more
F ounded in 1993, Mountain Hardwear are a pretty young mountaineering clothing and equipment manufacturer but are also one of... Read more
Rock shoes stink – let’s face it. Boot Bananas are the perfect way to fight the funk and keep them fresh. They help... Read more
Tonight's Friday Night Video features the Norwegian town of Rjukan, once believed to be the home of the world's tallest... Read more
With four photos in this week's top ten, and a UKC gallery of stunning images we thought it was time we had a chat with... Read more