UKC

Classic routes in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The ones which immediately spring to mind is Eliminate A and Middlefell Buttress, which are two routes I absolutely love, but can anyone enlighten me as to other significant routes in the Lake District which you would give 'classic' status too? I'm mainly looking for routes upto and including HVS, though if there are any particularly fantastic Diff/VDiff's out there I'm happy with those.

Thanks,

Jos.
 monkey1 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Jesus of Suburbia:

I think Arete,Chimney and Crack on Dow is worthy. Surely Troutdale Pinnacle on Black Crag has to be up there with the best
 Rob15 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Jesus of Suburbia: corvus
Engineers slab
Botterels slab
Eagles nest ridge direct
Little Chamonix
Tophet wall
Troutdale pinnacle
The list could go on!!
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2009

As above plus Kipling Groove, Overhanging Bastion
 Bulls Crack 22 Sep 2009

Corvus Diff
Murrays Route Severe
 Ian Jones 22 Sep 2009

Mickledore Grooves
Gormenghast
The Crack
Engineer's Slab
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Sep 2009

There are classics all over the Lake District - get yourself on Gimmer, White Ghyll, Pavey Ark, Sca Fell (East and Main), Gable, Pillar, Dow, Black Crag, Esk Buttress, Castle Rock, Goat Crag etc. etc. All have days worth of great routes.
Avoid the near-roadside crags of Shepherds/Raven/Scout (especially at weekends) to see the best of the area.

Chris
 Rog Wilko 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Jesus of Suburbia: Eagle Front - when it's been dry for a fortnight (in the Lakes???) get up there. One of the most memorable days out in the district.
 Calder 22 Sep 2009

Not done Bowfell Buttress yet but surely it must urinate all over Middlefell Buttress, which I thought was just ok.

Bridge's Route on Esk is very good.

And Haste Not up White Ghyll is a personal fave - mega.
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> (In reply to Jesus of Suburbia) Eagle Front - when it's been dry for a fortnight (in the Lakes???) get up there. One of the most memorable days out in the district.

Even more memorable if it hasn't been dry for a fortnight, as I found out earlier this year ! Probably stiff enough at the grade even without the wet.

Best Lakes VS I've done was Engineers Slab.

GrahamD 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Calder:

Well, to be fair, Middlefell is just a series of mini climbs with walk offs in between. More fun as a solo / scramble than a lead.
 sutty 22 Sep 2009
In reply to GrahamD:

Try Piggots in drizzle on same crag.

Another fine mess you have got me in Charlie.

Finished in socks with boots hanging from the waist.

Moss Ghyll Grooves on Scafell. As someone else has rightly said of Haste Not on White Ghyll, mega.
 Owen W-G 22 Sep 2009

Golden Slipper on Pavey has a brilliant main pitch on some of the finest rock I've touched.
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2009
In reply to sutty:

*shudder* no thanks - Eagle Front (which at least gets some traffic) was bad enough.
 LakesWinter 22 Sep 2009

The Crack on Gimmer, Gordian Knot, White Gill Wall and Slip Knot on White Gill are all very good VS climbs, even better at VS is Rake End Wall on Pavey Ark.

Slightly easier is Murray's route on Dow, a bit polished but a good line with lots of interesting climbing on it.
 stewart murray 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Jesus of Suburbia: Centaur HVS Scafell East Butress.
 katie75 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Jesus of Suburbia: get a good list going and i'll come to for a weekend or a long day.
k
 katie75 22 Sep 2009
but no hitting on me
 zigzag 22 Sep 2009

surely the best route is the one you're on at that time
 cas smerdon 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Calder: Bowfell is ace. Whole different class to Middlefell. Get yourself up there
 Rog Wilko 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Jesus of Suburbia: And here's another - not very popular and all the better for that - Hiatus on Gimmer's wild north west frontier. One short grotty section on pitch 2, otherwise brilliant. I've had it to myself while The Crack, nearby, has had people queuing on every stance. Pitch 3 is the best 4b pitch in Langdale I believe. I've just put a picture up on my gallery.
 sutty 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Now you have to do the variation finishes, Grooves traverse and Grooves superdirect. Both are good, and one is even better than the ordinary route, though a bit harder. Me and Nunn tossed up for the lead on the traverse as we both wanted it and I won so went down again and he got the superdirect.
 Skyfall 22 Sep 2009

So many classic routes at up to HVS it's v hard to comment.

Care to narow it down by grade or locatioM?
 Rog Wilko 22 Sep 2009
In reply to sutty: I've done Grooves Traverse! And it's pretty sensational too. I got the traverse pitch amd found it very daunting - being pushed off by an overhanging wall. Then the belay stance is a ledge on an arete which is about as large as one of my feet. Some routes do stick in the memory, don't they?
In reply to katie75:
> (In reply to Jesus of Suburbia)
> but no hitting on me

Well that ruins a potentially good weekend if I'm not allowed to hit on you!

I'll give you a holla when I've got a fair sized list together.

Jos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...