UKC

PYB Fast Track Instructor Course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Has anyone done this course?

Did you train extensively before hand? (courses etc)

Was it worth the cash outlay?

Are you now in a job through it?

...and some more questions depending on responses.

Many thanks!
oui oui 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Dave Morrison:

I can't help on your original query, but I'd make this suggestion if you're even thinking about any outdoor qualifications; start logging all your climbs and hill days.

Even if at a later point you decide being an outdoor instructor / leader isn't for you, you'll have lost nothing.

I think you'd get the most out of that if you approach it having a good base level of personal experience in all the disciplines. Probably also best having the 'starter' NGB quals (e.g. SPA, ML(S) and new BCU one). Thus you can work on your actual leading/teaching skills with all the great instructors (well, the ones I've met have been good).

Would be nice to hear what some instructors think of it.. very expensive though.
 Malcolm 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan:
> (In reply to Dave Morrison)
>
> Probably also best having the 'starter' NGB quals (e.g. SPA, ML(S) and new BCU one).

Most of these £8000 fast track jobbies aim to give you these basic tickets as the outcome of the scheme - I dont know any that go from there onto higher level ngbs.
For fasttrack type courses which provide higher level tickets like MIA, WML, level 3s, 5 stars etc, the only "schemes" are glenmore lodges nightw*tch and the A.I. scheme at plas y brenin.

Other on-the-job trainee-ships might give you the base quals whilst also giving you group time, probably more beneficial in terms of work experience and employability when you finish it. However you work for longer getting paid less.

I know a guy who walked out of the brenins fast track scheme straight into outward bound aberdovey right enough, so both routes work i guess!

Malcolm
In reply to oui oui: Do you mean just logging them personally or with a governing body?
 Malcolm 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Malcolm:

>lodges nightw*tch and

For crying out loud. Is Tw*t really such a bad word? In this day and age you'd think they could program a bloomin computer forum to tell the difference between TW*T!!!, and nightw*tch.

Boffins
In reply to Malcolm: I'm going to send them an email to see if I can get base level quals first then do higher levels on the course.

Thanks
In reply to Malcolm:
> (In reply to Malcolm)
>
> >lodges nightw*tch and
>
>
> For crying out loud. Is Tw*t really such a bad word? In this day and age you'd think they could program a bloomin computer forum to tell the difference between TW*T!!!, and nightw*tch.
>
> Boffins

I wondered about that too.
 Malcolm 23 Sep 2009
> (Do you mean just logging them personally or with a governing body?

Nah just log them on a wee spreadsheet yourself - when you register for NGB awards (which you have to do before attending trainings) you'll have to fill out logbooks of personal and instructing experience - having to rack your brains for the past 5 years of where and what youve climbed is annoying.
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: Aye, it is a fair outlay, thats why I want to make the most of it.
In reply to Malcolm: I have been keeping a log since I started, not been trad climbing long, but been into the mountains for a while. Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated.
oui oui 23 Sep 2009

Personally.

You can transfer them on to a logbook later if you register on a scheme.

If you don't keep a record of what you do, then a few years from now if you decide to go down this path, you'll kick yourself when someone gives you a logbook to fill out.

fimm 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Malcolm:
> (In reply to Malcolm)
>
> >lodges nightw*tch and
>
>
> For crying out loud. Is Tw*t really such a bad word? In this day and age you'd think they could program a bloomin computer forum to tell the difference between TW*T!!!, and nightw*tch.

It is one of the err, features, of this forum that you can type quite a lot of swear words, but not tw*t. I quite like it, it is a nice if occasionally annoying peculiarity.
oui oui 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Malcolm:
> (In reply to Dave Morrison)
>
> Nah just log them on a wee spreadsheet yourself - when you register for NGB awards (which you have to do before attending trainings) you'll have to fill out logbooks of personal and instructing experience - having to rack your brains for the past 5 years of where and what youve climbed is annoying.

Aye, totally agree with this ^
In reply to fimm: I had thought it was polite posters
In reply to oui oui: Thanks, I have them all in wee diaries, even the easy munros I've been up.
 Katie86 23 Sep 2009

I know someone who did the A.I at the brenin...went in with no quals and got ML/SPA/BCU L1 Coach (possibly L2- can;t remember) out of it. Plus loadsa experience and walked straight into an instructor job.

Only fast track instructor person I know is AJ who got his IML out of the scheme. http://www.antonyjinman.com/about/
In reply to Katie86: Thanks Katie.
rich in wales 24 Sep 2009

Can't comment specifically on what the Brenin do or don't actually deliver, but a few years ago I moved the family down to Wales to follow a college course which promise a whole host of NGB's, as well as an HND in Outdoor Ed. A complete waste of time. I left after the first year with my SPA and ML training and 3* kayak, but no thanks to the college. They had no intention of putting anybody through their NGB's, it was all just a mrketing ruse.

We get a lot of people applying to work for us who have spent three years at uni doing outdoor stuff and now think they're God's gift to the industry, then they arrive on site and can't even belay. NGB's are the only way in to serious outdoor work. The big 3 of ML, SPA and Level 2 canoe are still the currency you need, then the world's your oyster.

Personally I would be very skeptical about anyone taking my £8,000 and promising the worldm unless I had seen a written transcript of their last 100 students, showing what they came with and what they left with. Yes, I confess, access to groups is somewhat essential, but you can also get that freelancing yourself to a number of different providers for a good long season.

From an accounting point of view, it will be a long time before you make that money back in this industry. Perhaps it would be more worthwhile to earn as you learn with a few different providers to make sure that you've got a good, broad experience base, then NGB yourself as and when you're ready?

Hope this helps,

Rich
 biscuit 24 Sep 2009

If you've a good base level in climbing canoeing and the mountains you could get all the quals you need in 12-18 mths whislt still working.

Volunteer at an outdoor ed centre as an adult supervisor with groups. If you do this you also get at least 50% off your NGB fees.
ceri 24 Sep 2009
In reply to Dave Morrison: My wee brother was a glenmore lodge nightw*tch and is now MIA.
In reply to rich in wales: Thanks Rich, it does seem like the long route would be best both financially and for my personal development.
In reply to biscuit: Cheers, will look into that.
In reply to ceri: I have a house with my partner and she is not keen on me being away for long periods or I would have applied. How long was your bro on the course for?
In reply to Malcolm:
>
> I know a guy who walked out of the brenins fast track scheme straight into outward bound aberdovey...

That's not saying much though, as long as you have two legs and can consume vast amounts of booze, they'll take anyone.

In reply to the cassin ridge: got the legs but fail miserably on boozing prowess.
 Malcolm 24 Sep 2009
In reply to the cassin ridge:
> (In reply to Malcolm)
> [...]
>
> That's not saying much though, as long as you have two legs and can consume vast amounts of booze, they'll take anyone.

Lol, cant disagree with that...
 Charlie_Zero 24 Sep 2009
In reply to Malcolm:

Testing, testing.....Night Watch!
 highlander1 24 Sep 2009
In reply to Dave Morrison: you really need to read what they are offering. the fast track course seems good on face value, but when you break it down the numbers don't add up. not for me they didn't anyway. i did my ML training and assessment for a total of £590. my SPA cost £260 for both training and assessment so a total of £850. from Memory these courses are only providing the training. A fasttrack course is at the end of the day a quick way to gain a qualification it DOES NOT give you the years of eperirnced required to be proficient in the hills. nor does it give you group work with children both of which are invaluble if you wish to work in this industry. but hey go for it the training alone is great fun. the assessment is Stressfull!!!
 Katie86 25 Sep 2009

I've been looking into this thing for a while to get my ML and SPA assessment and L3 Coach...I reckon the C.I scheme at the Brenin is good if you can bare to live on £60 a week. I was going to do it this year but think I might do a bit of time in a proper job and go into it in 2 yrs or so.

Rob Johnson also does a good scheme; I haven't done any courses with him but I've heard through mates / collegues that he's a good guy. http://www.expeditionguide.com/Mountain%20Quals.htm
In reply to Katie86:

Yeah, he does a mentoring scheme for 200gbp/month. Do you know anyone who has done it?
In reply to Katie86: Thanks, I just had a look at his site, seems very good. I'd be waiting till next year at least.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...