UKC

Climbing near Bremen, Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lunar25 05 Oct 2009
Hey guys,

Ive climbed across england, peak gritstone, yorkshire grit, wales seacliffs, lakes limestone and a bit of sandstone. I climb roughly to HVS/E1. Sport to around 6b+.

My friend has moved to Bremen in Germany and i plan to meet him over there relatively frequently. I'd love to get some climbing done in Germany as ive never done any there before.

1) What are the best Crags/areas to go?

2) Id particularly like to do some multipitch (4pitches or more), any advice on where to find these?

THanks for any help.
 hwackerhage 05 Oct 2009
Ooops, bad move.

1) Harz/Ith I believe. It is the flattest part of Germany, comparable to Holland.

2) You can climb multipitch especially in the South (Alps).
OP Lunar25 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Fantasian:

3) is there nothing on the north seafront?

4) Pick me a good multipitch place to go

John Ww 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Fantasian: You've picked probably the least suitable area in the whole of the country. Imagine a giant billiard table with a bit of sandy beach at its northern end and you won't be too far out!! It's a good 2 - 3 hour drive south to anything remotely non-horizontal, never mind multipitch. Good luck!
 dalai 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Fantasian:
> (In reply to Fantasian)
>
> 3) is there nothing on the north seafront?

As already stated, flat as a pancake around Bremen!

Check out http://www.kletternimnorden.de/index.php for climbing details of the Harz and Ith which is south of Hildesheim. Lüerdissen at Ith has a pleasant climbing campsite and climbing on the nearby outcrops.
 MissAssister 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Fantasian:

This is not going to help but just in case you thought the above were exaggerating, nope. Daughters just moved there and its so flat I thought I was in Norfolk.....
 John Ww 06 Oct 2009
In reply to MadHatter: I thought it made Norfolk look like the Pennines in comparison. The old expression "flat as a witches t%t" sprang to mind.
 Simon 06 Oct 2009
In reply to John Ww:
> (In reply to Fantasian) You've picked probably the least suitable area in the whole of the country. Imagine a giant billiard table with a bit of sandy beach at its northern end and you won't be too far out!! It's a good 2 - 3 hour drive south to anything remotely non-horizontal, never mind multipitch. Good luck!

I agree - been to Bememn & its great cycling country - but no hills!

Hertz mountains are a good 3-4 hours away - there are some kiddies walls at the petrol stations - thats the best outdoor stuff you will find. I'd tek a bike.

Si

jcaplins 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Fantasian:

Groningen, NL is 2 hours away:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1827

see if they will let you do a hanging belay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...