UKC

Gore Tex Guarantee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
seaofdreams 08 Oct 2009
My three year old waterproof trousers has started to weep, esp in the stretch panels. They have been cared for and not abused beyond normal wear and tear, plus get washed with nikwax on a regular basis. This has not happened to the top which is slightly older and from the same "set", plus it get used year round rather than just winterish weather.

If it is raining beyond what you would wear a soft shell for my legs get wet, not in the seams but through the panels.

Do you think there is cause to pursue the guarantee? I am very aware that kit dies of natural causes.
 Dr Rorlasaurus 08 Oct 2009
In reply to seaofdreams:

The guarantee is probably the lifetime of the garment and if you're using them regularly then 3 years is a reasonable lifetime.
 CurlyStevo 08 Oct 2009
In reply to seaofdreams:
Actually I've heard of people suceeding on this one. I reckon if the garment doesn't look knackered then goretex should honour their guarentee. Afterall lifetime guarentee if it is lifetime of the garment should mean that the gortex shouldn't fail before the rest of the garment does!
 angry pirate 08 Oct 2009
As previously stated the lifetime is that of the garment not the user. In the trade, the lifespan was often quoted as 88 days (i.e. 88 x 24 hours) before the PTFE membrane wore out, but unless you've trashed them, three years shouldn't hit that number. The fact that the jacket has had more wear but is still weatherproof suggests that the trousers are faulty, especially as it's only the stretch fabric that's failing. However trousers often get abused more on the knees and bum and the inside leg seams rub together and fail quite quickly.
I'd return them to the retailer you bought them from who will get them off to the manufacturers to get tested.
Gore take their reputation seriously so are very fair with the guarantee. I've seen 10-year old jackets get replaced despite some obvious wear and tear!
seaofdreams 08 Oct 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks,

This is my fealing too, because apart from the compulsory holes around the ankles which have been repaired the trousers are still in good nick, they are just not waterproof anymore and what bugs me even more is that the jacket (which sees more use) still works!

Also IMHO 3 years is a touch delicate for the pants in question, we are not talking OMM pack lite here.

I have mailed Gore, we shall see.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...