UKC

walking pole on flights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrJ 08 Oct 2009
I mashed up my ankle over the summer and sometimes use a (Leki) walking pole to help with longer distances. I'm flying to Africa soon and would like to take it with me to help get around the airport (especially to and from the gate).

I don't know if airport security look on these as "sharp objects" because of their tip.

Has anyone had any experience of getting them airside & on board?
Removed User 08 Oct 2009
In reply to FrJ:
hi,
to be on the save side I put mine in a main luggage
seb
In reply to FrJ: If it has a "walking stick" handle, you'll probably be ok, put on a pronounced limp through security.

I used my Leki stick on the flight, but put my poles on the hold luggage.

Cotswold do a Leki stick for under £20.
OP FrJ 09 Oct 2009
In reply to morticiaskeeper:
> (In reply to FrJ) If it has a "walking stick" handle, you'll probably be ok, put on a pronounced limp through security.
>

Yep, that's the type. (I can do a good limp and wince too!)
toucanspeed 09 Oct 2009
In reply to FrJ: If you are flying through Bristol then put them in the hold or they will take them off you. They even wanted to take my sockets of me because they were tools - not dangerous, just tools.
 Chris F 09 Oct 2009
In reply to toucanspeed: They would be weapons if you were attacked by Frankenstein, you could take his head off with one.

I had a penknife with a 1/2" blade taken off me by security once, but the guy I was travelling with was allowed to take his umbrella on board. Have airport security never watched the Avengers?
 Jenny C 09 Oct 2009
In reply to FrJ: Back in the "good old days" I have taken one hand luggage, but given that I also had my Leatherman and a Swis Army knife (legitimatly) in my hand luggage at the time who knows what the rules are these days.

If you contact the airline in advance you will be able to arrange assistance at the airport for those with mobility issues. They might well (as with pushchairs) be fine for you to have your stick in the airport and just take it off you to put in the hold for the duration of the flight, better to arrange this in advance though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...