UKC

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Last 09 Oct 2009

Apologies if it's been done before, but this is a pretty amazing looking place don'tcha think?

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1830
 LastBoyScout 09 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg:

Whose genius idea was it to ignite the gas?

Although I hope the surveyor was sacked on the spot!
 MattOwen 09 Oct 2009
That's mental.

Not feeling very articulate today... sorry.
 Brendan H 09 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg: wow, how come they didn't try and use the gas for something?
OP Tom Last 09 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg:

No idea why they couldn't use the gas, perhaps there's a wealth of sources out there that are a lot easier to tap?

It says they lit it to prevent dangerous gases posing a threat, although this hardly looks safe. They do a similar thing burning of methane round my way, although on a somewhat smaller scale!
 John_Hat 09 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg:

I'd guess that they thought "light it, then when it's burned out in a couple of days we'll go in, recover the drilling kit and salvage it, and then try again a few hundred yards away..."

Followed by "Whoops"

GreyPilgrim 09 Oct 2009
In reply to John_Hat:

followed by "where are my eyebrows"?
 HikerPunk 09 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg:
Dont forget the marshmallows!!!!
 mockerkin 09 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg: It's not only them, oilfields have burned off gas for decades, until they learned how to change it to liquified natural gas & export it in ships. This one is ott though.
 csw 09 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg:

wild!
 withey 10 Oct 2009
In reply to Queequeg:

Surely they could cover it over, and starve it of oxygen? It might take a large lump of metal or something, but surely if there's still laods of gas left, it would be worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...