UKC

MSR Pocket Rocket worn thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 10 Oct 2009
The brass thread on my Pocket rocket has worn a bit and is starting to have trouble sealing on gas canisters. Is there any fix for this as I'm pretty sure you won't get a 7/16 UNEF helicoil?
I'm not hugely fussed if I have to replace the stove as it has had over 4 years of fairly heavy use and a brass thread on a steel cartridge was never going to last for ever. But if there is an option for a quick, dirty and potentially unsafe fix then I'll let it soldier on

Mike
 wilkie14c 10 Oct 2009
In reply to Reach>Talent:
I think you'll be needing a mate who has access to a lathe - bit of stainless bar, threaded both ends, the PR end would need some loc-tight type stuff to make it a permanent fixture on the PR? Sould only add a few grammes to the overall weight - good luck!
OP Reach>Talent 10 Oct 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
The problem is that you can't extend the thread downwards without also modifying the needle or it wont contact the valve on the cartridge. While I could do this as I've got the specs for the valve and some bar that may do the job it is unlikely to be robust. Plus I'd need to buy a 7/16" UNEF tap and die which is going to cost more than a new stove
 jon 10 Oct 2009

I bought a Pocket Rocket precisely because that's what happened to my Markhill... However, the Markhill refuses to give up the ghost and I still use it. Try spitting on the top of the cannister to improve the seal. That way you don't have to tighten it too much, which I suspect was the start of the problem, in my case anyway.
OP Reach>Talent 10 Oct 2009
In reply to jon:
It is not so much that the seal is bad, it still seems to be gas tight but that the thread won't pull the stove down far enough to push the valve open.
 jon 10 Oct 2009

Ah...

> It is not so much that the seal is bad, it still seems to be gas tight but that the thread won't pull the stove down far enough to push the valve open.

Ah, I was going to suggest that the thread isn't the thing responsible for a gas-tight seal; that'll be the rubber sealing washer. After four years of heavy use, it might need replacing.

Are you sure the problem isn't with the canisters you're using? I've seen reports of some canister needing a longer valve pin than is provided by some stoves; maybe worth googling before you start attacking your stove...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...