UKC

NEWS: Birkett's Dove Crag E8 and the Incident at Skelwith Falls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Oct 2009
[Dave Birkett new E8 320, 5 kb]In August Dave Birkett climbed the wall above Inaccessible Gully on Dove Crag in the Lake District.

UKClimbing.com now have full details and stunning action images.

Also Dave Birkett tells all about his most dangerous feat of the year:

"It was like I had an elastic band attached to my ankles. Every time I was about to surface I got pulled down again..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=49774

fishy1 14 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: A mate of mine died this summer jumping into a pool. A dangerous game to play.

Have to agree that the camel is awesome. I have an eye on a trad line or two there, I say trad, but I think it could be a solo.
 Hendo 14 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: Do you have any more info on the Galloway E7 6b?

This would be the hardest trad route in the area now after Julian Lines Elegance
 Michael Ryan 14 Oct 2009
In reply to Hendo:

in some sandy cove.....I'll try and get more specifics
 nb 14 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

The beta for getting yourself out of strong currents pulling you down is to let yourself be dragged down and swim out from the bottom. Trying to fight it and resurface will exhauste you very quickly. Luckily Dave's a strong lad!
Ackbar 14 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: what ever happened to

"We have an exclusive article by Dave Birkett appearing at UKClimbing.com this month, with video."

????
 raphael 15 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: I'm sorry to hear about an accident leading to a death, it is understandable as whitewater can look safe even when it is very dangerous, and dangerous when it is safe. In this respect a four foot drop can be more dangerous than a hundred foot waterfall, dependant on the water features.

The danger is caused by the water recirculating at the base of a waterfall or weir, and the most innocuous looking drops can contain potentially lethal towbacks, this is because the water flows upstream immediately below the drop so you get stuck inbetween water flowing downstream and water flowing upstream.

People may be aware of this, however unless you are a kayaker you have very little reason to study the exact nature of these formations and they can be easily misjudged. I do not know if this caused either of these incidents however it is worth noting.
 USBRIT 16 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: Dave are you sure it was a first ascent on Dove as there are chalked holds above you? LOL
 hooley 16 Oct 2009
In reply to USBRIT: that would be Mr. Birkett's chalk, it's safe to say.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
It's at Sandyhills Bay, Dumfries-shire and could probably come under the heading of an oft-tried, or at least oft-eyed line. The grade takes into account the "quality of the rock", which should tell you something!
lostintranslation 18 Oct 2009
In reply to Stephen Reid:

after all his exploits it would've been a bit gutting if it all ended on Broad Stand - maybe someone should go up and replace the bolt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...