UKC

OMM roll call

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 22 Oct 2009
So, who's going to be wet, cold and achey this weekend?

Good luck everyone!
 lummox 22 Oct 2009
In reply to bouldery bits:
> So, who's going to be wet, cold and achey this weekend?

As always...
oui oui 22 Oct 2009

in the process of packing right now...
pooh 22 Oct 2009
In reply to bouldery bits: Will be there.
OP bouldery bits 22 Oct 2009

Awesome, Am tres excitable!
 Paul Atkinson 22 Oct 2009
In reply to bouldery bits: if I ever get out of work...

good luck to all

P
 J Brown 22 Oct 2009

I'm not running, but just thought I'd wish everyone who is - good luck!
 Rubbishy 22 Oct 2009

due to the breakage of the original partner, then breakage of the stand in partner (Endless Winkle) and breakage of the stand in stand in partner (MJH).

I have no more partners and no one will come near me for fear of death.

so, I will at the Velodrome and Xscape this weekend instead.

good luck to everyone and especially Flabby Lummox.
Geezuz 22 Oct 2009
In reply to bouldery bits: Metcheck is suggesting that it will be dry on Sunday ... not that it will stop me being wet, cold and achey mind!
 lummox 22 Oct 2009
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to bouldery bits)
>
>
>
> so, I will at the Velodrome and Xscape this weekend instead.

Will you be hanging round the burger bars and dogging up the Cas Vegas burds ?
>
> good luck to everyone and especially Flabby Lummox.

Cheers guv- afraid I couldn`t find any takers - everyone`s too busy mountain biking : (

davefount 22 Oct 2009
In reply to lummox:

im packing too
 antwan 22 Oct 2009
In reply to bouldery bits: Just finished packing, except i cant find my watch... Oh well i suppose i'll get woken by the 'elite' and the early morning starters.

Have fun everyone, And if your in the short score keep your hands of last place, Its Mine!
 Elsieriley 22 Oct 2009

Not me this year, I'm injured and ill! So I'll have to sit this one out

But good luck to everyone who is doing it.
 KeithWakeley 22 Oct 2009

I'll be there as usual.
Weather looks typically OMM.
Good luck to everyone.

K
 antwan 25 Oct 2009
Managed 134th, Not too bad for my first ever Race, let alone mountain marathon, although i think my partner was wanting to push the pace a little but i'm sitting here trying to decide if i pulled my hamstring or groin half way round day two, or if indeed i have pulled both!

Fantastic fun!
 galpinos 26 Oct 2009
In reply to antwan:

What did everyone think of the terrain and courses?

I did B and was a bit dissapointed with Day 1. Not much tricky nav, not many decsions to be made and not that much runnable (for me) terrain. I was getting severely p**sed of with those tussocks. They were physically and mentally very draining.

Day 2 was far better, trickier checkpoints, better terrain and a lot more exciting. Really enjoyed it despite the massive blister, dodgy knee and crippling chaffing.

How is everyone fairing this morning?
 lummox 26 Oct 2009
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to antwan)
>
>> How is everyone fairing this morning?

I feel like I`ve gone ten round with Tyson- standard after the KIMM !

Unfortunately, the event was a bit too much of a procession in LS this year- dunno why- lack of controls/small event area ? I suspect bad vis would have made a hell of a difference in that terrain !

p.s. how many OMMs/KIMMs have you done ? I find they often cover a lot of tussocky ground in general : )

galpinos 26 Oct 2009
In reply to lummox:

My first OMM was last year and I did the LAMM for the first time this year so not much experience. I've dome the HPM 3 times but that's quite different.

The LAMM allowed a lot more running in general, Saturday on the OMM had lots of tussocky sections that we could barely stagger through, let alone run. It just seemed that the terrain forced people on the few tracks/trods that were there makin git, as you said, processional.

Still loved it though and managed so squeeze in in 70th place so pretty chuffed. Already started discussing with my partner how we're going to train/gain time for the LAMM.
XXXX 26 Oct 2009

I've just looked at the results and discovered why I find it so hard to win orienteering events with my club. We've taken the OMM by storm.

1st and 2nd in the long score, 1st in the short score and a whole load of top 10 finishes! Oh well, something for me to aim for I suppose!

Flash 26 Oct 2009
In reply to lummox:

> tussocky

I was on the marshalling team at the overnight camp and that was the only word that I heard all night and at the start of Sunday...

G
 Paul Atkinson 26 Oct 2009
In reply to bouldery bits: a cracking weekend out in the hills

came in 41st in B - 10.30

my mate's first MM and he went for it good and proper

that was some seriously shit and very taxing ground underfoot - I've known as bad before for stretches but never for such sustained distances. Overtaking in the tussocks required a burst of furious flailing / pumping that reminded me of the very worst of rugby training sessions in my youth

the courses were very short though compared to normal which made for unprecedentedly quick winning times and very low numbers of DNFs compared to previous ones I've done (have seen 30%ish DNFs in A in past). I wonder if the courses were designed with the clag that never appeared as a key ingredient - the route choice and nav on the B would have been made hugely more difficult in very poor vis and I suspect would have seen times closer to the norm.

Expedition foods Chicken Tikka was by a factor of 50 or so the nicest dehydrated meal I've ever had and 2 helpings over the course of the evening took the sting out of the 19 hours in camp. Highly recommended

thoroughly enjoyed it overall and nice to see a bit of the country I may well never have got round to

P
OP bouldery bits 26 Oct 2009
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

Have a link for that Exped food tikka? my dehydrated Carbonara was truly appalling!
 Paul Atkinson 26 Oct 2009
In reply to bouldery bits: try this

http://www.expeditionfoods.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_...

their other stuff is meant to be equally good (according to my mates who recommended the CT) but I haven't tried it

P
OP bouldery bits 26 Oct 2009
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

Thanks Paul. I will sample a couple of flavours for future events and training weekends.
 Simon Caldwell 27 Oct 2009
In reply to lummox:
> Unfortunately, the event was a bit too much of a procession in LS this year

Which controls did you got to? Other than a long path section shared with one of the line courses on day 1, and the area round the finish on day 2, we were largely on our own for most of the weekend.
 lummox 27 Oct 2009
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to lummox)
> [...]
>
> Which controls did you got to? Other than a long path section shared with one of the line courses on day 1, and the area round the finish on day 2, we were largely on our own for most of the weekend.

I dunno... would need to look at the map again. Looks like you were 5 or 6 places behind us. We wondered if it was a mixture of a small event area and the vis/nature of the terrian that made it so much like a LAMM caravan..
 lummox 27 Oct 2009
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to lummox)
> [...]
>
> Which controls did you got to?

Day 1 : BZ AA DU BS BH DS BF BW CQ DW
 Simon Caldwell 27 Oct 2009
In reply to lummox:
We went BZ DS (missing out most of the northern controls to get closer to the finish) then BF BW CQ DW AW. The original plan had been to return via CR and BU, with DY if going well, but AW was a lot slower than expected, and the bit between AW and CR was a km or two of tussocks, so we turned back after a few minutes and went straight to the finish.
After leaving DW, I think we saw 2 or 3 other teams from there until the finish!
 SFM 27 Oct 2009

Likeys sell it too. http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/Expedition_Foods.html

The tuna pasta is good with extra tuna and the chilli and spagi bog were excellent (for dehydrated food) of the puddings I think it was decided that the custard and apple was best.
Bingers 01 Nov 2009

I've been away for a bit, but I presume there has been no mention of morgues or people being lost.

Made a point of not putting money into a certain self-publicist's business whilst in t'Lakes this week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...