UKC

Lofoten Islands combined with a family holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 28 Oct 2009
Has anyone combined the Lofoten Islands with a family holiday, and did it work.
Cheers Beds
 alan moore 28 Oct 2009
In reply to J1234: I took my honeymoon there doing easy climbs and it was very nice. There are icy beaches and the odd town if you dont mind driving a lot. It's a very pretty place when it's sunny but in the rain the whole island chain is duller than dundee on a dull day.
mcchubb 28 Oct 2009
In reply to J1234:

I had a fantastic family holiday in Norway combined with the Lofoten, although was many years ago and didn't involve making use of the climbing at the time. There is stuff to do on and around Lofoten for families, including the de rigeur whale watching trips and some great family friendly campsites (or at least ours was). We combined with a driving holiday around Norway (although appreciate that's not everyone's bag) - quite easy if you're willing to take a few days out to combine with time down in the fjords, and the trip up/down include crossing the arctic circle which is diverting for kids...
 TonyB 28 Oct 2009
In reply to mcchubb:

I was in Lofoten last summer. It seemed to me there were quite a few families with kids there. The beaches are fantastic and it looked like the temperatures bothered the kids a lot less than the adults.
 heleno 28 Oct 2009
In reply to J1234:
> Has anyone combined the Lofoten Islands with a family holiday, and did it work.
Yes. And yes.

J1234 28 Oct 2009
In reply to J1234: Cheers, i shall investigate more.
janeth 29 Oct 2009
In reply to J1234:
Went to norway with 2 kids (5 and 7 at the time) in 2008 and will definitly go back. we didn't make it as far as the lofoten Islands but did some climbing in the setesdal (big bolted slabs). The kids particuly liked staying in the occasional hytt. Take all your chocolate with you - and cheese - norwegian cheese is dire.
How long does it take to drive to the lofoten islands??
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Oct 2009
In reply to J1234:
It will depend on what the children enjoy; though if they like being 'in the nature' (and you get the weather) you should have a great time.

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/66281684

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/81935729

Chris

PS You can't really drive there any more as there is no UK - Norway ferry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...