UKC

Spec me a waterproof jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 29 Oct 2009
Hi,

Help me out here, I need a waterproof but don't have the opportunities to get out and try stuff.

If it's on off rain I'll wear a softshell, I'm looking for a heavy weight jacket for when I KNOW it's going to raining ALL day, and I'll be wearing it all day, not carrying it.

Must Haves:

* Bomb proof waterproof-ness eg 6+ hours drenching (>=20Kmm HH?)
* Big helmet compatible hood
* Pit/ underarm zips
* High reach sleeves
* Longish tail and arms
* <=£120

Nice to haves

* Tough for the money
* Stretch fabric/panels
* Breathable fabric (venting more important)

Some runners and riders:

Marmot Aegis - £55 from Cotswold. Membrane Strata looks good, price is great. Ticks most boxes, but helmet compatible hood? Not sure how tough, but for £55 I could live with flimsy

Mountain Equipment Particle Jacket - £80 off eBay. Looks similar to Aegis DLU fabric sounds good, but helmet compatible hood and toughness?

Patagonia Rain Shadow - Helmet compatible, pit zips, but how waterproof?

Your suggestions?

Thanks
 Axel Smeets 29 Oct 2009
In reply to iksander:

A little over your budget but have a look at the V12 banner which appears at the top of the UKC website every so often. They're selling the Outdoor Research Mentor Jacket for £160 reduced from £320. I just got one and its a superb jacket. Gore Tex Pro Shell, completely bomb proof and a great price (full spec mountain jackets like this don't normally come in at under £300). Comes with OR's lifetime guarantee too.
 Axel Smeets 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Oh and you state venting is important - it has full body length zips so you can wear it 'poncho' style.

http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3159
 GrahamD 29 Oct 2009
In reply to iksander:

I think if you expect bombproof waterproofness you might be in for a bit of a dissapointment. The only actually waterproof gear I can think of is meant for sailing - you really wouldn't want to walk in it.

OP iksander 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Axel Smeets: Hmmm yes I had seen it, tempting indeed... but still a bit steep for an old scrooge like me
OP iksander 29 Oct 2009
In reply to GrahamD: Hi Graham, I know what you mean, there's a continuum of breathability versus waterproofness and what I meant was that I would verge towards the waterproof end of the spectrum and let the pit zips do the venting.
J1234 29 Oct 2009
In reply to iksander:
More than you want to spend http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=942&xSec=207
but worth considering
 Stuzz 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Agreed! i got one a while back and its been really good. only thing to watch out for is that i've found the fit is rather large for the sizing. maybe consider taking a size down?
 Stuzz 29 Oct 2009
In reply to iksander:

Patagonia stuff is meant to be VERY waterproof due to a special DWR process (all the fibers are indavidualy coated, then woven together, then coated again, i think...) dont think its as breathable as pro shell though
Removed User 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Axel Smeets: hi,
whats the OR sizing, Ive heard its generous, Im also considering either this or marmot exum jacket, both incredible jacket from what I gather
regards
seb
Removed User 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74:
incredible jackets...
sorry
 beh 29 Oct 2009
In reply to iksander:

DA Devil Alpine Jacket - £125 (down from £250)http://www.snowandrock.com/BrandSearch/Alpine+Expedition/Clothing/Shell+Jac...
 Axel Smeets 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74:

Yeah its pretty generous. I'm 6ft, slim build and medium is just about perfect. I tend to be large in many other brands so be aware.
 The New NickB 29 Oct 2009
In reply to iksander:

The rainshadow will keep the water out and if it is raining breath as inefficiently as any thing 4 times the price.

It is however a fairly lightweight jacket.
Removed User 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Axel Smeets: thanks
In reply to iksander:

>
> Must Haves:
>
> * Bomb proof waterproof-ness eg 6+ hours drenching (>=20Kmm HH?)

Mmm....only a jacket made out of Unicorn fur with a secret recipe blend of inlaid facial hair of Elvis mixed with rocking horse droppings delivered to your door by Lord Lucan would do that without you getting drenched inside from sweat....

Not being facetious, just that bombproof waterproofness after 6+ hours drenching is more or less impossible!
 Markavon 29 Oct 2009
In reply to iksander:

I managed to pick up a Keela Munro for £80 off ebay. Built like a tank, weighs roughly the same, but I likes it.

Best price I can find on there is £120 at the moment (Retails £160). You may be able to find cheaper, but I'd give it the thumbs up. Plus matches most of your criteria.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...