UKC

TNF Chilkats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 01 Nov 2009
Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum?

I was wondering if anyone has a pair of the Chilkats and if so, how do you get on with them as a pair of winter hiking boots? My Meindl Burmas are in need of a resole and aren't brilliant in the middle of winter (although they have been used for the last 5 years as such!).

The Chilkats seem really quite cheap and so I was wondering if they'd make a suitable replacement boot over the winter? Generally going to be used for backpacking trips of a few nights, and some summit bagging in the snow.

I can't see a crampon rating for them, but has anyone used them with a crampon such as the Black Diamond Contact Strap(again, just for walking and a bit of scrambling rather than techincal climbing).

I know some of TNF kit is more fashion orientated these days and was wondering if these boots fitted this category (look cool down the pub) or if they were a serious contender for the hills.

Guess it's the cheap price that's having me doubting!!

Thanks, Matin
In reply to Martin1978:
Hi Martin,

The TNF Chilkat is not a winter walking boot, it is more of an apres ski fashion boot, as you say down the pub sort of footwear.

It has a similar crampon rating to a pair of slippers. You'd be miles better off getting your Burmas resoled (try LSR, excellent service http://www.lsr.gb.com ) than considering getting these - they're cheap but not what you're after.

Hope that helps!
OP martinph78 01 Nov 2009
In reply to goingupintheworld: That helps, thanks. Kind of what I suspected. I shall be getting my boots resoled at LSR.

Cheers, Martin
In reply to Martin1978:

No problem! Don't be put off by LSR's slightly complicated repair form that you're supposed to print and send in, just give them a call if you have any questions, they've always been happy to help me.
OP martinph78 01 Nov 2009
In reply to goingupintheworld: Thanks, reckon I'll do that, and get some thermal socks and some crampons for the Burmas. They'll do for another winters walking after all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...