UKC

Gore-tex cleaning advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mart123 05 Nov 2009
Hi guys,

I know, I know, read the label... well, I've done that, and read around on-line to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid, and I really don't think I am!

We just got back from Kilimanjaro with our kit absolutely covered in that fine volcanic dust. I brushed as much or it off as I could, then threw our 2 gore-tex jackets in the washing machine (one is XCR, the other Performance if it makes a difference). 40 degrees, using the Nikwax tech wash as recommended. The problem is that all that seems to have happened is the dirt has been spread evenly over the entire fabric rather than concentrated in the patches it was in! The only place which now isn't dirty is where the seam tape is - it's almost like the dirt has been diluted in the water then spread around and all of the breathable parts of the fabric. Has anyone ever experienced this or have any tips on how to get these things clean?! I'm not averse to using something which will strip the DWR and re-applying it but only if someone has a tried and tested method for sorting out this kind of thing!

My initial thought was that our washing machine is broken - maybe it's not draining properly then just rinsing the jackets in the dirty water. However I've since washed some of our other things, and even the filthy white cotton wash I put in has come out fine.

Please help!
 snoopyloop 05 Nov 2009
In reply to mart123: I'd contact Gore-tex first and formost , then drop one of those outdoor mag's a line. you dont want to total wreck your clothing. hoipe you get it sorted.PT :O)
johnSD 05 Nov 2009
In reply to mart123:

Try handwashing a section of the jacket (inside and out) to see if a bit of pressure removes the dust.
 Michael Ryan 05 Nov 2009
In reply to partytroll:
> (In reply to mart123) I'd contact Gore-tex first and formost , then drop one of those outdoor mag's a line. .......

Plenty of advice here..

DWR's (durable water repellent finishes) are what cause the rain to bead off the surface of a jacket, these wear out over time and not just through being rained on, every time a jacket rubs up against something, like the inside of your rucksack for example it damages the DWR. When the DWR begins to fail and a jacket wets out (ie. The rain stops beading and begins to soak into the outer face fabric) the membrane loses its' ability to breathe leading most to believe that their jacket is leaking, when they are actually being drenched from their own sweat as it is unable to escape. In fact somewhere in the region of 70% of hard shells returned are related to DWR failure rather than the assumption that the membrane is leaking. Washing and reproofing your shell, as necessary, will greatly improve its performance and increase its lifespan.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=430

and here

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instru...

mart123 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Mick, thanks but that advice is identical to that which I read and followed. Unfortunately I ended up with the situation described in the original post, that's why I posted.
mart123 05 Nov 2009
In reply to johnSD:

Thanks John - I'll give hand washing a go.

Not sure how much help Gore will be, as it's the face fabric which is dirty. It's just very odd because the dirt was obviously lifted out of the fabric before it was re-deposited all over.
 Siward 05 Nov 2009
In reply to mart123: Perhaps hang it on a line and hose it?
In reply to mart123:

Maybe have a shower in it, using plain soap?
 Jim Fraser 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
> (In reply to mart123)
>
> Maybe have a shower in it, using plain soap?

Not such a bad idea.

Hopefully at this stage you have only used Tech Wash and NOT any of reproofing products like TX Direct.

I think it may be time to go beyond Tech Wash and do a wash using conventional detergents and worry about repellancy later. I think I would try washing it with one of the latest type of liquid detergents then do an extra rinse cycle to make sure that the detergent is out of the garment.

The shower trick recommended by our Turdish friend above is a good way of checking if the detergent is properly rinsed out because you can see or feel any remaining soapy deposits.

You certainly have to make sure you get that dust out or it will abrade the fabric, membrane and coating internally. Only when it is removed can you dare use the proofing to refurbish the repellancy. TX Direct and other such products seal in remaining dirt forever.
Nebotigger 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Jim Fraser: I agree totally...clean with normal proper deterg and then reproof the DWR finish after!

I would also totally suggest to go to Paramo. I am a big convert! Goretex is old hat!!

much love

S
mart123 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I tried a hand wash with Tech Wash this morning - no improvement. Added a small amount of Vanish in wash powder which didn't really do anything. I think the initial wash has really worked the dirt well into the fabric unfortunately. I think you're right, and I'm past caring about the DWR now - they needed reproofing anyway. I've reproofed them before, just not since this wash.

I'll sling them back on an extended wash with proper detergent and Vanish. Off down the shop now for some TX Direct while I wait!!

Am I really the first person to have htis problem?! - I doubt it
mart123 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Nebotigger:

I'll have a look into Paramo (never heard of it), but I've only used my jacket a few times and paid quite a lot for it, so I'd prefer to get a bit more use out of it before I go spending any more money!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Gore's washing instructions are somewhat renowned for being bollox, and suggest that the majority of their customers don't give a rat's ass for their DWR. 'E-Z care' seems to be the order of the day...

As to why volcanic dust hasn't washed off... hmmm... for dust, I'd have started out with a simple plain water hose-down in the shower. I wonder if there's some weird electrostatic thing going on with the very fine dust.
mart123 06 Nov 2009
In reply to mart123:

Thanks to all for your help with this. For anyone interested in future... I ended up throwing them in on a delicate wash with normal detergent, then re-proofing them. Seems to have done the trick. I guess Tech Wash just isn't as good at getting dirt out as good old Ariel!!

Cheers,
Martin.
 martinph78 06 Nov 2009
In reply to mart123:

We usually throw all of our gear in with pure soap flakes. The tent gets hand washed washed in the bath in this way also. Then just proof with whatever Nikwax product is recommended for the garment. Never had a problem and much cheaper than "tech Wash".

In fact we recently had a jacket tested and the membrane was still good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...