UKC

NEWS: Snow On The Ben - Winter Cometh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Nov 2009
[Snowy conditions on Tower Ridge, 4th November 2009, 2 kb]Alan Halewood was out on Ben Nevis yesterday and found "Almost a foot of soft snow lying at the summit."

He climbed Tower Ridge in snowy conditions. Here are some photos of his ascent to get you in the mood for winter.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=50191

munro 05 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Here we go!!!
 Rampikino 05 Nov 2009
In reply to munro:

Indeed - the phoney war has begun. Can't wait for the real stuff in Feb.

(Joking)
In reply to UKC News: looks like well sketchy conditions.
 wilkie14c 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Franco Cookson:
Will Kinder Downfall be 'in'??

<Always wanted to be the first one to ask that!!>
 Michael Ryan 05 Nov 2009
 robinsi197 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
It must have been a clear morning. You can see the Lake District in the background.
 wilkie14c 05 Nov 2009
2 ice screws? for the downfall? puff...

This site is like totaly awesome, a dusting of the white stuff on top of the Ben....and it's news, it's bleedin November you southern shandy drinking slackjawed faggots.
Removed User 05 Nov 2009
In reply to robinsi197: No you idiot, that's Mam Tor
 TobyA 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:
> it's bleedin November you southern shandy drinking slackjawed faggots.

Do the homophobic insults make you feel better? Why stop there, you could chuck in some racism as well.
 robinsi197 06 Nov 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> 2 ice screws? for the downfall? puff...
>
>

IF YOU HAD BEEN THERE you would know that the ice screws are for extracting people from the many crevasses (groughs in the local language) that lurk on the Kindergletscher. to you too.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Nov 2009
In reply to TobyA:
> you could chuck in some racism as well

didn't you notice the gratuitous use of the word 'southern'?
 Michael Ryan 06 Nov 2009
>
> This site is like totaly awesome, a dusting of the white stuff on top of the Ben....and it's news

Thanks for your kind words Conquistador. We all work very hard at UKC hoping to bring what the UKC readers want and need and your appreciation is welcome.

Yes, great start to the season and thanks to Alan Halewood for sharing his early season adventure on the Ben.

I'm sure you aren't the only one to show interest in the news item and I hope you are psyched!

Best regards,

Mick
 TobyA 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Toreador: I'm not overly bothered by a bit of Northern/Scottish 'we're so much harder than you' bluster, silly as it is - but don't understand why people have to insult gays just to make some stupid cheap point.
 antwan 06 Nov 2009
In reply to TobyA: Either way, Nearly a year on from deciding to 'av a crack' at this winter malarkey I still don't have a pair of tools!

Conquistador sounds like a proper tool, maybe I'll get a pair of them instead of saving for some Aztars?
mountain monster 06 Nov 2009
In reply to antwan:
Interesting idea, but i think you'll find the kind of tool he is will shrivel in the cold.
 Mike Hall 06 Nov 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: What about Cautley Spout?
In reply to TobyA:

Toby please refrain from the PC bullshit, i'm more than sure the UKC media machine is more than capable of dealing with my infantile remarks, here's the rub...i find good info at times on this site, but often i am left feeling a little shortchanged at the constant sensationalist tabloid style news items, with little real news, it caters for the lowest common denominator i know, this i find very frustrating.

Besides i was in away trying to get banned, UKC sychophants move along now nothing to see here.
 Michael Ryan 06 Nov 2009
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Ti am left feeling a little shortchanged at the constant sensationalist tabloid style news items, with little real news, it caters for the lowest common denominator i know,

You talk rubbish, absolute tripe dearest Conquistador.

No where else in the UK outdoor media will you get the depth and breadth of news that we supply you with...

November
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2009

October
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2009

September
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=09&year=2009

etc...etc

Check our articles page

have a dig around.. http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/

Here's a list of 2009 articles..

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/older.html?category=&date=2009

Short changed indeed, you ungrateful sod.

Mick
 Only a hill 06 Nov 2009
Sounds to me like you're just jealous that you haven't been out on the hill in the snow, but some of the rest of us have...
In reply to Only a hill:

What did you climb then, were you leashless????

Stuart
Geoffrey Michaels 06 Nov 2009

I think you misunderstand either point made or the subject. A bit of snow on the hills is not news no matter how it's dressed up. Even it it was news, you are a good many weeks out of date.

People climbing routes is news, snow isn't.

Fine riposte indeed, although being a hard nosed seasoned hack..you would sell your soul to the Devil for a juicy bit of gossip..heat style.

So what has studentgrant been up to at the Clachaig i wonder?....
 Michael Ryan 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Donald M:
>
> I think you misunderstand either point made or the subject. A bit of snow on the hills is not news no matter how it's dressed up. Even it it was news, you are a good many weeks out of date.

We reported the early snow too Donald.

We will continue to report conditions, especially early snows. Some appreciate it.

You may not, him above may not, and that's fine.

...but there is far more people than you two who visit UKC.... try between 10,000 and 14,000 people a day....most of us being southern shandy drinking men and women, of various sexual preferences.

Mick
 Michael Ryan 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Donald M:

> People climbing routes is news, snow isn't.

Missed that one Donald. News goes far beyond cutting edge ascents, and indeed beyond current climbing conditions.

Geoffrey Michaels 06 Nov 2009

Big deal, you reported some snow. Like I say reporting it doesn't mean it is news. I counter report that I ate a pork pie at lunchtime. Maybe that is newsworthy.

I'm not saying your reporting of it isn't worthwhile but a piece of news it certainly isn't.

There are dozens of ways of getting more up to date information on snow in Scotland than UKC. They don't all offer route conditions though which is a separate thing.

Although there is snow that doesn't mean there is climbing to be had.
 Only a hill 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Donald M:
Fair points and I tend to agree, although I think reporting the presence of appreciable amounts of snow is more about communicating excitement about the approaching winter than about it being a newsworthy story in itself. At least, that's what I took from the article--an injection of enthusiasm, even if I already knew about the snow thanks to Al Halewood's blog.
 Michael Ryan 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Donald M:

It was news to lots of people Donald.

Keep your pork pie eating to yourself please...

Over and out..... I'm off to drink to shandy.

> Although there is snow that doesn't mean there is climbing to be had.

Well doh! Really, you don't say!!!

; o )

Have a great weekend.
 Offwidth 06 Nov 2009

Unfairness to the editors, nearly 12" and homophobia in one post. That had to be challenged.
 iceicebaby 06 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for sharing the photos Al - I've been looking up at the Ben all week and wondering how much snow was actually on the top, so your photos were good news to me
 AlH 06 Nov 2009
In reply to iceicebaby:You are welcome, but it was Jack G who asked if they could post them up on UKC. Newsworthy? Dunno (or care really), but its surprising how many people down south (and there are a lot of them down there) have little or no idea what the weather does up here and when. UKC is one of many ways of informing them. Anyway- the only way I get a feel for what is going on up there is by going for a look. Today the snowline had gone up but there was ankle deep snow left on Ledge Route. Very wet and sticky- axe and crampons not required. But IF (maybe a big 'if'- haven't checked forecast- I have a weekend of debauchery planned in Inverness) it froze I wouldn't want to be on a Ben Nevis Ridge wthout axe and crampons.
Checked your profile pic - got a new helmet yet? Mick Tighe collects antiques you know.

Al
 Stuzz 06 Nov 2009
In reply to AlH:

Went for a wee jolly up there this morning and was supprised how much snow there was in some places! managed to get upto my knees once or twice (that may have been intentional tho ) It didn't look to be melting while i was up, but we were down by about 11 so hopefuly theres only a little bit of melt in the middle of the day!

Heres hoping it stays!
 Only a hill 06 Nov 2009
In reply to AlH:
I think MWIS is promising more snow tomorrow, followed by a few days of freeze/thaw, so we might get lucky! I've got until Tuesday at my disposal so I'm happy. =)
 AlH 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Stuzz:Where did you go? I was feeling heavy and slow today (think Sandy has given me a cold) but was at CIC (with new shiney turbine) by 9ish... and top of Ledge Route 1030ish down about 12.
Al
 Erik B 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Conquistador of the usless: I have to agree with you, snow on the ben in november and becomes a headline.

TobyA, and I also agree with Mr C that you took the PC thing too far. Has Helsinki ground down what little sense of 'british' humour you had?

Now what I would like to know is, where are all the hot shots? they should be on the Ben climbing real stuff, the ben is the most reliable crag in the UK and its been adequately cold and damp in Glasgow all week.
 AlH 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Erik B:Its barely there yet. For mountaineering it is 'wintery' mountaineering. The day before yesterday you could have tried some of the stuff at the top of the Ciste but by lunchtime the iceing on the rock was wet and peeling. Today it was just wet snow and black rock.... if it froze at the weekend however....
 Stuzz 06 Nov 2009
In reply to AlH:

Just up the Mountain Path. There was a vauge plan of watching the sun rise from the top but the weather just wasn't havin it so it became a 'lets go play in the snow!' day. Must have left Achintee around 5am (see, us students can get out of bed before mid day!) summited a little after 8 back to the car before 11.

Dont think i want to know what timings you come out with when your on top form if those are for a 'slow' day! Fit bugger...
Tim Chappell 06 Nov 2009
>
> This site is like totaly awesome, a dusting of the white stuff on top of the Ben....and it's news, it's bleedin November you southern shandy drinking slackjawed faggots.

Can I just thank Mick Ryan and the rest of the SSDSJFs for this news item, which I enjoyed reading?

And suggest to Mr Useless and the other moaning minnies that they, well, GET A GRIP?

Honestly, how many UKCers does it take to change a light bulb?

One to do it, 35 to say "You've put it in the wrong way" when he hasn't, 335 to flame the 35, 3335 to counter-flame the 335...

There's less pointless aggression in cage-fighting.

signed
TC
(officially a northern Guinness-drinking stout-jawed heterosexual)
 AlH 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Stuzz:Got to try to stay fit for the winter- when it arrives properly... Erik B might climb with me if I can hack it
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Actually Tim, I don't think the numbers of moaners and flamers are anything like as numerous as you suggest, it is just a very few persistent ones.

I am amazed by some of the responses on this thread suggesting that this "isn't news". There is quite a lot on the BBC news that I don't think is "news" but I am sure there are others that are interested.

Consider items like this our "....and finally" moments if you wish. To others they may be the top item - interesting and inspiring. Don't expect us to have a tailored news page to your own personal needs though.

Alan
Tim Chappell 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

But who am I to criticise, anyway? It's your website-- put what you like on it! Those who don't like it can always go to another website...

Some people have very surprising attitudes.
 Erik B 06 Nov 2009
In reply to AlH: but you describe multiple feet of powder and verglas everywhere.. ideal for high altutude scratching on the ben.. unless of course you were exaggerating?

i told you youll need to haul me up routes until i find fitness from somewhere
 Spike 06 Nov 2009

exactly - well put. Personally i'll click on a news item you post if the title interests me, and so, in general it is news to me 'cos I've clicked the link. If I wasn't interested in the news item "SNOW ON THE BEN" then I wouldn't click it.

One thing I wouldn't do is click it - then engage in a complete time wasting slanging match against the news posters claiming it wasn't news. Some ppl are weird and must have too much time on their hands

Thanks for the news items - keep them coming.
 drunken monkey 06 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Anyhoo - Is Clova in Nick yet? That would be news...
 yer maw 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Erik B:
> Now what I would like to know is, where are all the hot shots? they should be on the Ben climbing real stuff, the ben is the most reliable crag in the UK and its been adequately cold and damp in Glasgow all week.

Doesn't seem to have been cold enough to really frost up and rime the winter ascent of the next annual early Ben ascent of an E2/3/4 VIII/IX/X! The last hard route that really impressed me was the one on the Pinnacle Face of Meggy and there are still some of those big lines to be done by those that are up to that sort of thing. Do you fit the bill these days? I've turned to golf.
 AlH 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Erik B: If you hit the right height on the right aspect at the right time of day (and you didn't mind clearing the powder- which is fair enough, that's winter... and the lack of gear, I struggled to get nuts in that my client could get out again to leave him on- cos of the verglas) yes the high scratching would have been fair game. But as you know all too well from our last trip out 100m of height and degree of temp. can mean a wasted walk.
I'll carry the gear and you bring the head to lead some horror show from your black book (there's an offer you willnae get every day).... an unbeatable team
Exaggerating? Ya cheeky bam. Those lovely pics on UKC blow up so nicely they speak for themselves... and I had to dig my way across the Eastern Traverse (a shovel would have been more useful than an axe).
Al
 iceicebaby 06 Nov 2009
In reply to AlH:

Hahahahaha, its a quality piece!! Affectionately known as the "Vomcap" because it looks like someone just hurled on it. I don't really want to part with it, but I cannie really justify such a monstrosity for much longer eh?! Damn.

Chuffed to be in the Fort this winter - not done anything on the Ben in winter so I'm going to make Kev take me up some easy stuff!

Keep the piccies coming - I need all the beta I can get!!
 Erik B 06 Nov 2009
In reply to yer maw: i also admired Extasy on meggie. one of the highlights of scottish winter history full stop. I never was and certaily am not capable of climbing such a route. Its all relative, ive had some serious outings (for me), some of which I will never forget for perhaps the wrong reasons! and no doubt I will have some more. And ive also had outings where everything has clicked and things seemed easy and you create something nice, now they are the times that make all those years and effort with crap weather, crap conditions and lots of logistics which mae the whole game worthwhile.

I started golf this summer, brilliant! funny how climbers turn their noses up at it, there are actually simlarities with the two pastimes and it certainly makes the concept of walking more interesting.

AL, I like your idea!
 AlH 06 Nov 2009
In reply to iceicebaby: In reply to iceicebaby:Kev?...... Easy stuff?....... I'm scared on your behalf by what Kev's concept of 'easy' might be. G'luck... see you on the hill or in my cellar! Al
 iceicebaby 06 Nov 2009
In reply to AlH:

Kev's idea of easy probably involves only three figure of fours, rather than the usual seven or eight! So yeah, you may have a point given that last time I tried one, I had to be rescued after getting my trouser leg caught around the bottom of my axe!!!!

See ya later ~ C
 yer maw 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Erik B:
> I started golf this summer, brilliant! funny how climbers turn their noses up at it, there are actually simlarities with the two pastimes and it certainly makes the concept of walking more interesting.

Noo that IS news. Glad you could admit to it and I agree with your sentiments.
 Erik B 06 Nov 2009
In reply to yer maw: add sea kayaking to that as well, in fact this country we live in is the best place on the planet for these two pastimes so why not partake I say?
 TobyA 07 Nov 2009

> Toby please refrain from the PC bullshit,

How about you refrain from the casual homophobia then.

TobyA 07 Nov 2009
In reply to Erik B:

> TobyA, and I also agree with Mr C that you took the PC thing too far. Has Helsinki ground down what little sense of 'british' humour you had?

People can take the piss out 'southern shandy drinkers' or 'miserable Scots' as much as they like, but faggot is a hateful word like paki or nigger.
 Offwidth 07 Nov 2009

Sometimes in the mornings I want to scream at the TV as even the BBC news has become Hello magazine. Your site does a damn good news job.
 jazzyjackson 07 Nov 2009
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Erik B)
>
> [...]
>
> People can take the piss out 'southern shandy drinkers' or 'miserable Scots' as much as they like, but faggot is a hateful word like paki or nigger.

Off course a sense of humour is just what you need to fully appreciate words like Faggot.
 Stuart S 07 Nov 2009
In reply to yer maw:
> (In reply to Erik B)

> Doesn't seem to have been cold enough to really frost up and rime the winter ascent of the next annual early Ben ascent of an E2/3/4 VIII/IX/X!

Not on the Ben, but according to the logbooks, Blood, Sweat and Frozen Tears got an ascent yesterday...
 lynx3555 07 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Every time a dusting of snow lands on the hills in scotland a thread pops up...It's like kids opening presents before Xmas!
 Michael Ryan 07 Nov 2009
In reply to lynx3555:
> (In reply to UKC News) Every time a dusting of snow lands on the hills in scotland a thread pops up...It's like kids opening presents before Xmas!

And rightly so.

Nothing wrong with anticipation.

Good to stay young.

lynx3555 08 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Well come to think of it, I used to open my presents before xmas.......
 Jamie B 08 Nov 2009
In reply to Stuart S:

> Not on the Ben, but according to the logbooks, Blood, Sweat and Frozen Tears got an ascent yesterday...

Believable, but unlikely it was in very classical nick - wet snow and unfrosted rock would be my guess based on the Buachaille today.

Only a hill 08 Nov 2009
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
All to the good if the snow was wet yesterday then, as it'll be freezing tonight up top!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...