UKC

Cold Feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Manson 10 Nov 2009
Have been looking at new boots for winter climbing in Scotland, I want something fairly light but also warm. Over the years I have had a number of pairs of boots (nepal extreme, solomon pro ice, some zamberlan ones) but have always suffered cold feet on belays.

I got frostnip on each foot last year while hill running in winter, it took about 3 months to get proper feeling back, so I am worried about being more vulnerable to the cold these days.

I dont want a major heavy-duty pair, since I have a set of Solomon pro thermic for winter alpine and any moderate altitude trips (that I may eventually find time/money to do).

Really something warmer than those mentioned above and lighter than the pro thermic. perhaps scarpa omega, sportiva batura or phantom light? any ideas advice appreciated.

Cheers Paul
Any advice?
 Jamie Hageman 10 Nov 2009
In reply to Paul Manson: Not easy to come by now but Salomon SM Expert are very well insulated. Also have a look at the Berghaus Kibo - well insulated. Make sure there is room in your boots to move the toes around, a little heel lift isn't a problem in my experience - more room means more trapped warm air, less pressing on the foot therefore better circulation. Obviously good thick warm socks, also not too tight fitting. Failing that, the pro-thermics are heavy and a bit cumbersome, but warm
 Mark Stevenson 10 Nov 2009
In reply to Paul Manson: You'll probably get some more accurate advice from other posters on here like Mr Lopez, but I don't think either Omegas nor Baturas are that much warmer than Nepal Extremes.

To be honest if you want warm feet I think using your Pro Thermics is going to be a better option than buying something else that's going to be very expensive, not as warm and only a few 100 grams lighter.

Hopefully someone else can give you a more definitive answer though.
In reply to Paul Manson:

I also suffer from cold feet and when I replaced my Vegas, was very reluctent to get leathers.

I have noticed though, that wearing 3 pairs of socks, inside SM Experts, no noticable difference in warm or cold feet! I did purchase Scarpa Thermo Insoles, which possibly do their job, hence would recomend them.

With interest, I read the other post about these boots being very well insulated, maybe they are?

My friends are still for sale??

Stuart

almost sane 10 Nov 2009
In reply to Paul Manson:
If you are getting cold feet, first make sure your feet can move about inside your boot. Close fitting boot and no foot movement means lower insulation and less blood flow, means risk of cold injury.

Its worth getting boots a little too big so you can keep your feet warm.

Also, thick socks help. Again, make sure you have enough room to keep your feet moving around.

In terms of pure cold, I have used my normal trainers and socks in 25 below freezing in Canada (not in soft snow!) and my feet have been fine. The rest of my body was well wrapped up, but normal trainers provided enough insulation. Thick sole, a bit of padding, and enough room to move my feet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...