UKC

Double sleeping bags - whats on the market?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Looking for two sleeping bags, preferable down, rated to -20 plus that can zip together. Have looked around and was wondering if this is possible considering the shape of most -20 down bags might make this rather difficult?

Does any company make a double sleeping bag? Which is rated for mountain use. We currently live in Northern Norway so the temperature can go below -20 so I am looking for a good quality bag.

It might end up being very impracticable, considering cinching round the head etc. will be next to impossible but with such a lovely Norwegian girlfriend it would seem rather rude not to try and find a double sleeping bag solution
 TobyA 13 Nov 2009
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons: Me and my partner (life-, not smelly-climbing- !) often put two technicalish Mountain Equipment bags together. They don't obviously cinch down as tightly round the hood etc. but it doesn't seem to matter as its so much warmer being in bag with someone else! So just try two normal bags with a L and R zip and it will probably work well.
 Martin 13 Nov 2009
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

I totally second what the above post says, double sleeping bags are mainly made for carcampers or caravans, you are there fore better going for a pair of better bags and buying left and right zippers which i dare say all manufactures produce now. Closer to home Nanok make great bags but there are loads of brands such as Rab, Mountain Equipment, Mountain hardwear and Northface
 Dan-gerMouse 13 Nov 2009
I've had similar expeeriences with ME gear, try these

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/library/en/application/technical_dreamc...
 owrehleeoh 13 Nov 2009
My wife and I have a pair of ME bags we zip together and have used them for years. And I concur about the benefits of reducing your surface are to volume ration by spooning in a joint bag

As an aside, if you have Thermarests, they do a little kit to join two together which stops them sliding apart in the night. A similar solution could be cobbled together with string or ideally very thin tape. The thermarest solution is very low profile.

gear boy 13 Nov 2009
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons: pretty much any sleeping bag made in a left and right zip will zip together,
if you want it suitable for -20 then go over on the rating as zipping together knackers the efficiency, more air around etc. and yes hoods and neck baffles dont work that well either

hth
 Dee 13 Nov 2009
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons: Why not go to PHD and ask them to create exactly what you want? You won't have the problems of sticking two bags together...I tried this with two ME bags LH and RH zips, never again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...