UKC

NEW ARTICLE: OBITUARY: Tomaž Humar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 17 Nov 2009
[Tomaz Humar, 2 kb]Tomaž Humar, who has perished, aged 40, on Langtang Lirung in Nepal, was a climber whose approach to Himalayan alpinism excited strong emotions, by no means all complimentary.

While routes such as his solo of the 4,000-metre south face of Dhaulagiri made him a national hero in his native Slovenia, Humar's more sober contemporaries in high-end alpinism balked at the way he played the showman.

Here Stephen Goodwin looks back at a complex life lived both in the high mountains and in the media spotlight.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2267

5cifi - BAD SELLER 17 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: What a man, always inspired me to climb solo on some of my alpine adventures.

One of the purists forms imho of alpine climbing, what a legend !
 PeterM 17 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

You should check out The Scotsman's obituary by Chris Mair (I think that's who it is anyway). RIP Tomaz.
In reply to UKC Articles:

Yet another very fine obituary from Stephen Goodwin.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 17 Nov 2009
 Jack Geldard 17 Nov 2009
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Agreed Gordon. A tragic event, but a well put together Obit. Thanks to Stephen for this.

Jack
Wrongfoot 20 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

A very well written piece. Thanks for hosting it and thanks to Stephen for the content.
 Jamie B 21 Nov 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Agreed, one of the best bits of climbing journalism I've read on here; factual, objective, yet repectful.
 Batcloud 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Just returned from Nepal and very sad to hear this news. I was trekking in Langtang and was at Kyangyn Gompa (directly below Langtang Lirung) on the nights of the 9th and 10th. Reports came through on the afternoon of the 10th that a solo climber had fallen high on the mountain and was badly injured. Local speculation was wild and varied and our observations with binoculars and long tele-photo len's proved inconclusive (the locals claimed to have spotted the stranded climber).
Before leaving Nepal I'd been assured that local press had reported a positive outcome so very sad to hear the news.

Condolences to family and friends.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...