UKC

NEW REVIEW: Ben Nevis Britain's Highest Mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 18 Nov 2009
[Ben Nevis Britain's Highest Mountain, 3 kb]Top climber Dave MacLeod reviews the stunning new book Ben Nevis Britain's Highest Mountain.

"As far as I'm concerned it's the most essential book to own since Extreme Rock"

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2179

In reply to UKC Gear: I bought this book after Dave mentioned it on his blog a few weeks back. It's a great read with some fascinating bits of history. Though the standout feature for me was the photography, particually some of the historic shots from the SMC archives. My only complaint is most of the photos are so small, I wanted to see more!
 Paul Keenan 19 Nov 2009
I had to laugh at the foreword on page 13 to the most thoroughly researched book on the Ben ever printed : "At 1334 metres Ben Nevis ..."

Also, the repeated chapter headings from page 17 through 31 "2. Early Travellers (1585-1685)" should have been "1565-1865".

A great book, no doubt, glad I bought it, but annoyances like these should have been picked up before it got to print.
 danm 19 Nov 2009
In reply to r11354: everyone loves a pedant!
In reply to Padraig:

Why is £27.50 for a well researched, beautifully written and photographed book taking the piss?

Considering the small numbers a book like these will sell, it is surprising that the SMC produce this book at all.

I suppose you will next saying that £25 for North Wales Rock or a new Rockfax guide is rip off too?
Removed User 19 Nov 2009
In reply to the cassin ridge:
> (In reply to Padraig)
>
> Why is £27.50 for a well researched, beautifully written and photographed book taking the piss?
>
> Considering the small numbers a book like these will sell, it is surprising that the SMC produce this book at all.
>
> I suppose you will next saying that £25 for North Wales Rock or a new Rockfax guide is rip off too?

Well said, this is a stunning book.

It always amazes me why people moan about the price of books, they have certainly not matched inflation. I remember buying Cold Climbs back in 1983 and it was about twenty quid, so an extra £7.50 for a similar quality book is peanuts.
 Simon Caldwell 19 Nov 2009
In reply to petestack:
> riddled with mistakes/typos that should have been picked up at proofreading stage.

The first edition suffered in the same way. I wonder if any of the errors have been carried over from that?
 Simon Caldwell 19 Nov 2009
In reply to Toreador:
Just to clarify - I was referring to typos and grammatical errors, not factual mistakes.
Have ordered the new one, but I'm not quite sad enough to compare the two texts to see what's changed!
 Dan Goodwin 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Good review and a great book, I shall be getting a copy as some you cant just borrow read and give back, some need to stay on the shelf !

Aye Dan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...