UKC

walking pole ice axe head.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jim hughes 19 Nov 2009
A year or so ago I remember seeing on rock and run a walking pole handle with retractable ice axe blade for self arrest. Does any body know if these are still available.
jim hughes 19 Nov 2009
In reply to galpinos: It was that sort of thing but just the head so that you could replace the handle on a pre-existing pole. I think it was made by grivel and they were only about 10 quid on offer at R&R.
jim hughes 19 Nov 2009
In reply to jim hughes: I was thinking of replacing one of the handles on my ski mountaineering poles.
Tangler 19 Nov 2009
In reply to jim hughes
I think you mean the Grivel Condor
 francoisecall 19 Nov 2009
In reply to jim hughes: I had one and it was extremely difficult to take the axe on and off. In the end some of my too strong male friends broke it as they tried to take the axe off (they did not like seeing me skiing with it being worried that I might disembowel myself!)
 francoisecall 19 Nov 2009
In reply to jim hughes: Also the leash was not well designed which meant that if you fell you would probably loose the axe anyway.
 jamestheyip 20 Nov 2009
In reply to francoisecall:
I used one last winter. Love it. Can't see the problem with taking it on/off? I use the one including the pole section though so I just replaced the whole section at home.

With them I didn't see the need to carry a proper ice axe for any winter walks. They were fine for Scottish I gullies. Avoided the need to swap poles/axe every time I come across steep ground. The handle is very comfy for walking too.
 Nigel Modern 20 Nov 2009
In reply to jim hughes: Having done a couple of real axe arrests in soft snow (the sort you might find in Scottish gullies or Alps in the afternoons) I really question if they would stop a slide as effectively. I didn't stop until the handle was rammed into the snow. Could you ram a pole in effectively? I'm not sure.
 Scarab 03 Dec 2009
In reply to jim hughes:

I loved mine but it wasnt because of the axe, more because of the grivel condor handle. Would buy one but theyre heave. Never tried to arrest with one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...