UKC

Ben Nevis Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Nov 2009
[My Last Day on the Ben, 4 kb]Situated in Lochaber, Scotland at the west end of the Grampian mountains and close to the town of Fort William, Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in the British Isles.

"It has the tallest and most extensive cliffs, and attracts some of the most severe winter weather. A unique combination which produces some of the best snow and ice climbing of its type in the world..."

Dave MacLeod tells us all we need to know for a trip...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2218
 Erik B 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: what happened to the cascade style routes? And 'true' mixed routes? The Ben is teeming with them. Good to see Cutless get a mention.
 Martin W 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Proof reading type comment: I spotted four instances of "it's" used as a possessive in Mr Macleod's intro:
- 2nd para, 2nd sentence
- 3rd para, 2nd sentence (although this also has one correct usage of "its"!)
- 6th para, 2nd sentence
- 7th para, 2nd sentence

Other than that, I thought it a handy and inspiring article, reminding me that I really ought to head up that way sometime this winter and see if I can't lose my North Face cherry. Thank you!
 JohnnyW 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:
You've put me off my work, you b******s. I'm struggling with a head full of images as I get cracking on my first few routes on the Ben this year. Excellent timing, just bringing me to fever pitch on this dreich day!
 Martin W 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: More proof reading - something funny seems to have happened in the "Usual Descents" section:
- "sNo. W" appears a couple of times, also "No. t for No. thing"
- "The Red Burn" isn't in bold, or preceeded by a blank line, like the other routes are.
 AlH 19 Nov 2009
In reply to Martin W:Looks like either my Blackberry or whatever Jack used to copy and paste from the e-mail has decided that it should default to 'No.' any time I've used the letters 'no'. Checked now, its not on the original e-mail??
Al
In reply to UKC Articles:

Received a copy of this one - it's excellent! My knowledge of Ben Nevis and Ben Nevis history is zero, of course, by I never felt confused or patronized (it never felt like a history made for an audience of people who know the history already). And there's a nice balance between text and pictures (something I would like to see more often these days.

Very minor complaints: I would like to see a cronology, and a list of routes (and some more topo)
 Jack Geldard 20 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Now updated = thanks Martin and Al.

Jack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...