UKC

Getting Fitter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Lewis 19 Nov 2009
Ok, so I'm over the hill bit heavy 14.5 stone 5'8", strong but not fit.

Every opportunity I get I climb, but that really only improves strength.

What can I do to improve fitness? enjoying it will make it much more likley.
How long is it likley to take? are there any quick wins to get me going?

As a point of measure I can run about 100 yards before I need to stop but then again I hate running, can cycle on road 20+miles comfortably and dont mind cycling so much.

I did go to the gym for a few months a few years ago and enjoyed Rowing and cycling, but not running or cross trainer and before that swimming 3 mornings a week 30 lengths plus in 30 mins roughly.

I have been smoking again for about 18 months but now go days and weeks without.

Any advice welcome

brieflyback 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

I was in exactly your position just under a year ago, except I'm an inch shorter!

Fast walking interspersed with running - ie run until you can't, but keep on walking, climbing whever possible, eating better, will get you started.

I cut out snacks, had soup for lunch, no booze for a bit, that kind of thing.

I'm lucky in that I had a hill opposite the house I could charge up and down two or three nights a week. Can't imagine there are many of them in Dartford (Perhaps you could run across the QEII bridge a couple of times!)

I'm now just under 12 stone and approaching my fighting weight.

Don't envy you doing it in the run-up to Christmas, though.
OP John Lewis 19 Nov 2009
In reply to Martin76: 2 stone in a year wow, but I hate running!

Have been eating better and did lose a bit but the climbing added some muscle

Run Walk, how far or for how long and how to build it up?

I doubt I could run the length of the bridge even if allowed. Even walking up hill has been shown to be difficult recently.

In reply to John Lewis: try swimming and cycling.
 brieflyback 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

When I started, I could run about 100 yards on the flat, like you, and used to stop for a breather on the walk up to Crookrise, which is only about 20 minutes and mildly uphill.

I didn't apply any science, I started by walking as fast as I could to the top of the hill, and run as much as I could on the way back down. Just tried to beat my time every time by running just a little bit more of it. Within a couple of months, I could run most of the way up and all of the way down. I'm never going to be a fell runner, though!

it's the best thing I've done for years. I've got a lot more confidence for climbing, my blood pressure is significantly down etc etc.
In reply to Martin76: Everything that I need, how often did / do you go?
 darthbeemer 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis: The Old adage mate

Eat less move more

No I hate running and Cant stand Gyms either

I ususally do cardio work with shuttle sprints (or jogs to kick off)

Ie run 100 metres then do 10 press ups run 100 then 10 situps etc

better if you do a semi fast walk as welll to a local park or football field is ideal mine is 2 miles each way so its a fast walk takes about 25 mins then 30 mins of running and cardio then walk back in about 30 mins and make sure you stretch afterwards!!!!!!

Best thing is as you get fitter you just add more repetitions or make the exercise harder ie spiderman pressups and hand claps etc

typical set i do is

Pressups
sit ups
leg raises
squats
burpees
squat thrusts
ab scissors
lunges
spiderman press up
pull ups if theyve left the goal posts out lol

2 times a week and when you swim trad water in between lengths

hope this helps
 brieflyback 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

At the beginning, at least four times a week. Obviously, you have to avoid injuring yourself, which is why I didn't go flat out and try to run miles, but just tried to get my heart rate soaring and breathing hard by walking fast uphill.

I also built a home wall and was on that a fair bit, so a bit of indoor climbing twice a week or so wouldn't hurt.

You could join the fit club on here - you can set goals, which can be weight loss, running times, grades, whatever - and it looks like you get plenty of encouragement to hit them. My incentive was a university climbing club reunion weekend, and a picture of me where I looked exactly like my dad!
 ahaynes 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Used to like running through the woods, but knackered ankle after bouldering fall put paid to that. Got exercise bike. Rather boring, so set-up in view of TV - much better.
I did 30-45 mins every other day on the bike burning approx 400 kcal at a time (approx heart rate of 130). Porridge, fruit and toast for breakfast. Normally sized lunch with no desert. Small tea - perhaps just fruit, or maybe a smaller helping of what everyone else is having (used a smaller plate so the small portion didn't look too small). Stopped most alcohol (not completely), sweets, cake and chocolate and most biscuits. Have a "splurge" day every 2 weeks just as a treat.
Dropped 3st4 YTD. 5'11'' and 11st0.

I'm a beginner climber and mostly climb indoors. The promise of improving my grade and having more fun through better strength/weight ratio keeps me going. Set reasonable weight loss targets and publicized my progress via excel graph on the kitchen wall and on FaceBook ==> the kids give me grief if my weight goes up!

Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck.
 brieflyback 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

My standard run/walk is only about 3.5 miles, but involves about 250m of ascent. That takes me around 40 mins now, so still not rocket pace.
 brieflyback 19 Nov 2009
In reply to ahaynes:
> (In reply to John Lewis)
>
> Dropped 3st4 YTD. 5'11'' and 11st0.
>
Blimey. Good effort. I couldn't lay off the chocolate enough, clearly!
 Flicka@work 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Top tip: build up slowly so you don't break yourself. Running is quite addictive but you need to rest too. Cycling and swimming good alternatives for rest days from running. Remember, your knees and ankles won't be used to the pounding so they may take longer to build up than your fitness levels. Don't trash them! Listen to your body. But learn to differentiate between the lazy feedback and the genuine pain feedback. Err on the side of caution but don't take the piss.
Get some decent running shoes, they DO make a difference. Go to a decent shop and tell the bloke what you want and get some that are right for that. Road running needs more cushioning, for example. And I believe your gait can affect it too. And some shops can analyse your gait and tell you which shoes will be best for you based on that and your requirements. Living near London, finding such a place probably won't be too difficult!
Run what you can till you need to stop, walk a bit, then when you can run some more. Repeat. Sweat a lot. Curse a lot. Eventually go home feeling really good.
Oh and cut down on beer and meat. Eat healthily and in moderation. Snack healthily. Treat yourself though, or you'll give up too quickly out of being feckin miserable.

And most of all....learn to enjoy it!! And find a running partner (any lazy old mate will do!) so you can cajole/curse/mock/encourage each other along.
In reply to Flicka@work: Hi Ya wondered how long it would take you to tell me this!

Lay of Meat and Beer you expect me to do that?

I dont really eat sweets etc, but yes eat bigger meals than I should.

3.4 stone good work

ahaynes 19 Nov 2009
In reply to Martin76: Taking the hill into account I would say that's pretty darn good!
 sanjeetm 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

First off - congrats on taking a positive step! I'd say basically what the others have said, eat a little less, do some cardio! Plus, it's good you say you can go days and even weeks without smoking, ever thought about just giving it up completely? You will feel alot better, your cardio performance will increase substantially, and you will live longer - a win-win situation!
In reply to sanjeetm: Only started smoking again about 18 months ago and yeah I know I'll stop probably soon, last smoked monday evening. Just really smoke in certain circumstances and then until I finish the packet. Before that I had stopped smoking for 20+ years
 brieflyback 19 Nov 2009
In reply to ahaynes:
> (In reply to Martin76) Taking the hill into account I would say that's pretty darn good!

Just calculated it on mapmyrun - 227 metres up, 3.8 miles. Having said that, around 40 minutes has never meant under 40 minutes, and I normally can't talk for about half an hour afterwards...
In reply to Martin76:
> ........and I normally can't talk for about half an hour afterwards...

I feel better already
 3 Names 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Hi John

I went from 14 to 12 stone in 18months

My advice

Stop drinking alcohol.
I replaced my drinking time with more climbing.

Always eat 3 meals a day
. I never used to eat breakfast, so by lunch time I would be really hungry and would eat a lot.
Now I force my self to eat a slice of toast every morning & that see's me through till lunch time.

dont eat any sweets or snacks.
Cut out all extra sugar in tea etc.
Remember no one is born with a sweet tooth, if you stop eating sweets after a while you wont miss them.

Well thats what I did

Good luck

bagger 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

I remember reading somewhere (probably an advertising slogan) "the hardest part of going to the gym is getter there". Its totally true - you finish work, its cold, dark, wet and windy - do you really fancy trekking to the gym to do something you dont really enjoy?

I find the best way is to get "free" exercise. eg. cycling to work - it takes about the same time as getting the bus. Or, at lunchtime deciding to go to the sandwich shop that is a bit further away. Try and incorporate something that kills two birds with one stone (obviously circumstances will dictate what you can do - but there might be something).
In reply to bagger: something I should mention I travel for work and no week is regular let alone day so getting regular excercise is not so easy, but I know it would make it easier to get into the routine
Chris Ellyatt 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

I hate running for the sake of it too! But what I try to do to keep myself fit and active when away from the crag is to take up something more exciting than solo fitness pursuits. For example, I play squash a few times a week against a friend. Gets a good hour of exercise done for the day!

He beats me almost all the time, but it's good to have a challenge!

Chris
 aphex 19 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:
stop smoking, do you want cancer, heart disease, your legs to drop off, a stroke?
 sanjeetm 19 Nov 2009
In reply to aphex:

Well phrased, the tough love approach
 VS4b 28 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

The run/walk advise is good. Its easy to start, hard to keep up but quite addictive/habit forming. Get yourself started!

I did this kind of thing in June, went from not being able to run for 69 secs, to 10k in Sept and half marathon coming in new year. Oh yeah, also been dieting and so far lost 4.5 stone in 6months which makes the running (and pretty much everything else) much easier.
 bouldery bits 28 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Agree with the running advice, but I would also say, stop smoking full stop!
 Tiberius 28 Nov 2009
In reply to bouldery bits:

Funnily enough I was recently re-reading Ron Fawcett's book on climbing. I bought it 20 something years ago when I used to climb. Almost every other page describes him having a roll up between climbs, and for one 'special' climbe he describes having a cigar and matches in his chalk bag...how times change.

As for exercise, the most important things is to find an exercise that you get on with. For weight loss you're looking at extended cardio type exercise, so running, walking, or my own favorite, cycling. Because you need to exercise for an extended period, it's important that you find something that you're going to stick with. Totally pointless if you get fed up of it after 20 mins.

I'd also advise getting a heart rate monitor, then you can plan and follow through targetted exercise that will be most effective (or record the fact that you didn't carry it through so understand why you didn't lose weight).
 The Ivanator 29 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:
Book some crazy expedition that gives you a target to get fit for, always works for me. Then the bonus is you lose even more weight whilst you're away, I treat a mountaineering/mountain trekking expedition as my annual diet plan. I'm sadly now at the point where the benefits of last summer's Ladakh trip are fading, time to start planning the next adventure!
ice.solo 29 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

i will say to you what was once said to me (tho for a different unfitness issue):
'get your shit together'.

worked for me.

strong but not fit is not strong. sorry. hauling an engine block but not doing 10 pull ups is not relevant.
healthy but not fit is not fit either.
running and cycling well is fit - not one or the other.
doing what you like and avoiding weaknesses is a cop out - you wont get genuinly fit that way.
same for thinking theres some secret quick way.
yes, theres an elusive secret - hard f*cken work. elusive because many dont ever seem to realize.

smoking wont help. its not as bad as they say, but if you cant give it up you wont make any other serious fitness decisions either.

yes, i sound like a prick (or mark twight)
i though that too about the person who said it all to me (who wasnt mark twight. would have listened better if it was maybe)

the good news is you can do this.
what i reckon is:

only ever do meaningful, quality training. never 'workout' - TRAIN.
forget fitness - too middle of the road an objective. youre a climber, harden up. think CLIMBING. focus on that and everything else will sort itself.

use what youre already good at as your rest window. grind out 40mins of running then do 15 miles on the bike to get over it.

use pull ups, pushups and core stuff not just as exercises but more as indicators - to see how youre progressing with everything else you do.

group exercises together to focus on aspects of what you need climbing (upper body, heart rate, core etc). go hard then rest with a set of something else.

dont obssess with the gym. a medicine ball, set of dumbells, set of rings, strong wooden box and dip bars in the garage will do as well.

dont expect to enjoy training for serious results - it cant happen in your comfort zone.
but you will enjoy immensely the results a) because you work f*cken hard to get there and b) because the results will make a real difference in lots of ways.

how long will it take?
not long before you start to see an improvement. muscle recruitment, confidence and technique will be noticeable in a week or so.
the rest depends on the quality of your deep training - oxygen absorbtion, endurance, functional strength - and these things will hurt to improve. how fast depends on how much youre prepared to cope with.

train recovery seriously. see the difference between rest and recovery. nutrition is most of this. smoking is serious setback here.
recovery is an indicator of how prepared you are and the only way to find out is to apply what you train for.
go hard then mop up the results.

all sounds like macho rambo hogwash, but quality climbing fitness needs applied focus.
its well worth it and you will feel good about it once youre rolling.

good luck.
oneday you will say this shit to someone else yourself.

The Ivanator 29 Nov 2009
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> good luck.
> oneday you will say this shit to someone else yourself.

That'll be after you've whupped Chris Sharma in a climb off!

Murderous_Crow 29 Nov 2009
In reply to ice.solo:

Excellent post.
In reply to Bimblefast: Sounded like an Alan Partridge inspirational talk to a group of highlighter pen salesmen to me.

Go for it!
 thin bob 29 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis: have targets. Interspersed running & walking & all of a sudden, could run for an hour. Proper running shoes & a decent top & socks helped, like putting on your fave climbing shoes before a route.
Always eatingbreakfast and changing to a big lunch & light tea helped. Being veggie made it easier, no kebab frenzied & thinking about what to beat instead of pecking the nearest pie
 thin bob 29 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis: eating well when you're travelling is difficult, isn't it?!?! Maybe take stuff with you? Pasta/lentil salads, spiced up, soup?
And good luck, pal, you can do it!!
In reply to thin bob: I started my regime this week taking cold wholemeal pasta and salad and fruit to work for all my lunches. Stopped drinking at least mid week. Ok I stuck to muesli which was like bloody trill, for my breakfast but it did stop me wanting to go buy a spam and egg butty at 10am every morning.

I havent trained since I stopped playing football over 10 years ago. My target is that I just want to yomp into winter routes without it affecting my climbing or slowing anyone down.

Had my first run yesterday.
 thin bob 29 Nov 2009
In reply to Fawksey: good on yer. A bit of instant couscous with chilli& mint brightens things up, just boiling water.
Running in winter can be perversely enjoyable...making it a mile in the pissing rain & flicking the v's at the sky on the way back..y'haven't beat me ya bastard!
Good luck, give 'em, hell!
 teflonpete 29 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

I'm 42 now and a regular smoker. A couple of years ago I trained up for a sponsored bike ride where I wanted to complete 30 miles in two hours.
15 miles on the bike three times a week got my weight down to 12st 4lb.
Did the ride in 1 hr 58 mins and then packed up the cycling and now weigh 13st 6lb.
I've started getting out for a 3 mile walk (45 mins) as a warm up before fingerboard training and watching what I'm eating a bit and now losing about 1 lb a week for the last 3 weeks.
Getting out on the bike would shift the weight faster but cycling in the dark and the rain doesn't really inspire.
Planning on packing up the smokes again in the new year and need to be doing something other than munching chocolate to get through the first few weeks.
 Flicka 29 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

One more thing for running: Get one of those watches that tells you how far you've run and the amount of time it's taken. That way you can see your progress in figures (as well as your figure :-p). I think SCC has one, ask him about it/to see it if you havent come across them yet. I like knowing how far I've run and being able to plan how far I want to run.
 radson 29 Nov 2009
I watch this purely for the articles.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/
OP John Lewis 29 Nov 2009
In reply to Fawksey: looks like time is running out for me too, Nagged by one relentlessly to get running, then a long chat with two good friends today about running and now a good mate has told me we are going running together every week and he knows I wouldn't let a mate down.

Oh andf one fag in two weeks, and eating nuts etc and being a bit more carfull about what I eat (well OK anynoe who has watched me eat this weekend would be forgiven for not believing that last statement)

snorbie 29 Nov 2009
In reply to radson: ive just added it to my faves ill be as fit as a butchers dog in no time lol
 marsbar 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis: I like to have something to aim for, a little expedition maybe or an event. I've just signed up for the great north swim (yikes what was I thinking lol) because if I don't have a goal I will just drift. Oh and I have a dog who makes me walk miles each day. I like to change activities cause I get bored, and I like to exercise outside or in/on the water, the gym is not my thing. I love being on the water and can kayak all day but rowing on a machine I just can't be bothered with it for more than a few minutes. Aqua aerobics can be hilarious if you don't mind being surrounded by crazy old ladies and if you put the effort in its quite good. Anyway good luck.
 marsbar 30 Nov 2009
In reply to radson: Got a version of that for us girls? For the articles obviously.
 Rob Naylor 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

British Military Fitness mate!

I joined at the end of April 2008 aged 52 and weighing over 18 stone. The trial session nearly killed me. I couldn't run (using the term loosely) more than about 200 yards.

At the end of August I started running "properly" with BMF mates and by the end of Sept was regularly running 10k and weighing in at 15 stones, doing 5 BMF and 2 running sessions per week.

Just one year after I joined BMF I'd run 3 half marathons, all in under 2 hours, and the London Marathon in just over 4.5 hours, from a base of bugger all!

Since then I've had all sorts of injuries and the weight's crept back up a bit, but it's been the best and most motivating exercise routine I've ever done. And the good thing is that you can do it anywhere there's a session. When I go down to Devon to work, as I do every couple of weeks, I just pop along to the Exeter BMF rather than my normal Tun Wells one.
OP John Lewis 30 Nov 2009
In reply to Rob Naylor: Rob, Thanks for that really motivating and helpful. Got a plan now to get started and someone to push me to get on with it. I'm sure if I can get through the first few weeks it will work.
In reply to John Lewis: Right tried it 1k in 6 mins, 2mins run, 1 walk 1 run, 1 walk 1 run done.

Old fat lazy John gone........... well started going.
 thin bob 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis: good on you, John. Soon have you doing 50 minute 10 K's! Honest!
In reply to John Lewis:

Go to altitude for five weeks. I lost a stone... and can't really afford to, as you know!!
 Flicka 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Woooooooo!!!!! :-D
 brieflyback 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to John Lewis) Right tried it 1k in 6 mins, 2mins run, 1 walk 1 run, 1 walk 1 run done.
>
> Old fat lazy John gone........... well started going.

Nice one. It will be easier next time.
In reply to John Lewis: Ive just got in John from my run up and down Pendle Hill. Im liking it! (Apart from when I ran into a cattle grid in the dark, boy that hurt my shin.
In reply to Fawksey: we'll get fit yet, or broken on the way, well done sir!
 iain_cbr 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis: Well, like the old adage says, it's easier if you train with a mate. I work shifts, so my training times are when other folk are asleep or something.

I think I'll just adopt you as a training partner. I need to lose a stone and improve my cardio, so I think a run every other day will be the best place to start.

I tried a while ago, but I just find it so BORING!!!! Well hopefully this tim, I'll have a bit more staying power. I'll put some up tempo stuff on my MP3 player, which means that Burt Bacarach will have to take a baack seat for a while.

My last route was a straight up the road and back again. It starts with a nice gentle downhill then up a nice testing gradient. I've got a mile marker and then I used to turn round and come back.

Starting tomorrow!!!

Iain.
In reply to iain_cbr: your on, obviously I'm a bit of a way back on your standards though
 radson 30 Nov 2009
In reply to iain_cbr:

the new nike/apple system is a new way of keeping motivated while running.
 iain_cbr 30 Nov 2009
In reply to radson: Cheers, but can only just afford an actual apple, nevermind a new gizmo.

Time to upload 40 licks and see how far The Stones can take me!

iain_cbr 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to iain_cbr) your on, obviously I'm a bit of a way back on your standards though

Hell, I can't run it all the way! I can't even run it one way! I just get there and back as quick as I can. I've just worked out a 3.5 mile run which I would like to be doing by february or there abouts. That's my target. That and losing the stone of extra weight...
In reply to iain_cbr: In that case welcome to the club!
 mattrm 30 Nov 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Well you chaps have managed to inspire me. I wore thin kit on this night's run so I had to run fast to stay warm. Worked as well, 5k in 29:19, 30 seconds off previous PB.

Keep it up gents!

And my personal hint would be to mix it up, do a bit of everything, cycling, swimming and running. Just peg certain sessions as certain things, 20 mile bike ride as steady endurance, interval runs for speed etc etc. Do some 'easy' sessions and some where you go all out.
In reply to John Lewis: I have an egg rising on my shin where I ran into the cattle grid
In reply to Fawksey: you had me wondering what you were saying halfway through that sentence lol
In reply to mattrm:
5k in 29:19, 30 seconds off previous PB.

You are clearly not right for this old codgers thread.......

good work keep going!
ice.solo 01 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

good shit!!

its the effort that counts not the numbers.
so long as its less than easy youre pointed in the right direction. reward yourself by tomorrow doing it with a 15kg pack, winter boots, no shirt and at 5am. then 80 pull ups and a cold swim.

just messin.

100ks is only 100 of those and youre already 100% further along the track than the f*ckers who just talk about it.

alan partridge would be proud.

old fat lazy john was a mooching loser takin up room on your sofa and eating your food.
new fit crazy john is much more interesting.

go hard
OP John Lewis 01 Dec 2009
In reply to ice.solo: Tnx must do it again today! but will be away for work so need to find a new route. not the distance just the regularity for now!
 brieflyback 01 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Have a look on mapmyrun.com and type in the location where you are going. You might be able to find something suitable for a fast walk/run/stagger among other people's routes.
 Peakpdr 01 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis: try hill running , sprint up hill for 60 sec slow jog back down , run up , repeat around 5 times , 3 times a week
 staceyjg 01 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

A great little MP3 player that I bought which is perfect for running with:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132949

And congrats John, very impressed, I must motivate myself to get out running again!!
Bob kate bob 01 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis: If you rope climb indoors, after your usual session drop a few grades and on a toprope go for as many climbs as you can on the same route. That will definately get you burning calories and you won't have to make a special effort as you will already be there.
OP John Lewis 01 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis: tiny bit further and walked there and back, and ran 3 mins before walking tonight
 iain_cbr 08 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis:
It's been a while and I have to be honest and say that I haven't been out as often as I planned. However, tonigh, I had a Forrest Gump moment!

I got to the usual mile marker where I turn round and go back home, but I said b*llocks to it and carried on. I added another mile to my round trip!!!

I didn't run it all, but things are definately improving. I'm not getting into times and everything, as long as I'm back before my wife starts worrying, I'm fast enough!

How's things going with you?
In reply to John Lewis: I had my third run over Pendle Hill in 8 days last night. Bloody awful weather but it makes it more satisfying afterwards.
 Trailhound 08 Dec 2009
Stick at it, whatever you decide to do. Don't forget that it is hurting the boys at the sharp end of a training regime as much as it's hurting you. Fitness is 70% in the mind, condition your thinking and it will pay dividends. Watch your diet and moderate the alcohol, but most of all quit the fags.
ice.solo 08 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

keep going.

going that extra mile and keeping it random is the key.
its too easy to set comfortable goals and feel strong just matching them.

when youre feeling good push on. when youre feeling crap, at least get out there.
always push something to some degree. one foot in front of the other.

its totally all in the head. dont hardwire into easy fixes. keep it fresh.

OP John Lewis 28 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis: All,

Been a while and for a time I seemed to be making no headway. But due to some interfering do gooders I managed my first 1k without stopping, and am regularly managing 2.5K 2-3 times a week.

Now to set a target 5K in Feb non stop.

Feeling better and fitter and the coughing has stopped.

So how are you all doing?

In reply to John Lewis: I lost 3lbs over Xmas and have added yoga.
In reply to Fawksey: i seem to have lost £1000's & despite the effor put weight on.

But feeling fitter was the aim!

Well done though
 iain_cbr 28 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis: Lost 5lb's, but no idea how. Even double checked on my folk's scales. I've been eating smaller portions of my food (which tends to be reasonably healthy) and only eating if I felt hungry.

My waistline's not getting any smaller though!

Been doing plenty of push ups and pull ups, but not too much cardio. Probably explains why I've not lost any from my waist!

Last time I went for a run, my hip died on me (I'm 31, not 70!!!) so I've not been out since.
 iain_cbr 28 Dec 2009
In reply to iain_cbr: Good doing, you two, by the way. Might try yoga, too. My flexibility is dire.
dinkypen 28 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

Just read (OK, skimmed) this thread for the first time (not on UKC a great deal these days!) and ....

1).. way to go, John n Fawksey and all others on the path to fitness :-D Starting out is THE hardest part. It soon becomes addictive!
2) Fawksey - try mixing 'no added sugar' muesli with a few branflakes n cornflakes to lighten it up a bit - it becomes far more palatable, believe me! You can also add chopped dates, raisins, nuts, sunflower seeds n whatever else tales your fancy
3) As you pick up the distance, don't forget to build in a stretch routine
4) If you happen to have a bad run, don't beat yourself up over it. It was a one off, honestly. The next one WILL be better!
5) As you gradually push yourself harder, you will discover a weird pleasure in the pain of exertion - beating previous times for given distances/regular circuits may become an obsessive pasttime It's all good!
6) Get kitted out for all kinds of weather - running in the rain can be incredibly exhilarating :-D

Have fun and ...bon courage à tous!
In reply to dinkypen: Interesting point to note, may be of some help to others.

Got a copy of 9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakes, and read the first section this morning about making the same mistakes because we don’t take the risk to try differently or try something outside our comfort zone. Very similar to some sales based training I did a few years ago, the best sale people are the ones who take risks or go beyond what they are comfortable with.

Starting to run was an immeasurably big step which I was convinced I would fail at, and it would be eminently embarrassing. To be honest to my goal I was failing, but I was willing to keep on failing for a month. For the first few times I went at night to secluded areas just to not be noticed, and tried very hard to do well. Being shown a strategy, running at a sustainable pace, and then going and working that out for myself, has resulted in success. A success that defeats the failures to that point, they are beaten and gone.

I could point to many things that this has been true for me, but the point is......

Take the risk of failure, keep taking it, the real fail is when you stop trying, in the meantime who knows what you might find you are able to do.
In reply to John Lewis: mmmm failure : )
 groovy_nut 28 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis:

A wonderfully eloquent point, and so true. Thank you John.
 iain_cbr 28 Dec 2009
In reply to John Lewis: Nicely put, John!
OP John Lewis 11 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Well folkes time for an update.

Tonight managed to finish 5K in alternate 3 min sections of running and walking 36 mins total. I know its not much but to me it's a huge turn around.

According to the scales I've actually started to lose weight as well 4.5 lb. in the last week, again not much, and a large bowl of pasta tonight may have messed that up now

Next aims are to complete 5k non stop (mid Feb), and maybe settle with that 3 times a week for a few months just for the satisfaction.

Faggs - last one a month ago (and none for the 2 weeks before that)
Booze - no longer daily, but 2-3 times a week and then only one, except special occasions of course (really large glass of red tonight by way of celebration)

And I might be starting to like it!
 iain_cbr 11 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Nice one, John!!! I'm glad it'a going well for you. I'm not doing too good with the running, I'm sure I buggered my hip up last time I went out! I've been doing circuit training indoors though, which seems to be helping I've gained a bit of muscle up top, and the jeans are definately feeling more slack.

Keep it going John, and let me know how you're getting on.
OP John Lewis 11 Jan 2010
In reply to iain_cbr: keep it up yerself and post on how your doing as well. it all helps the motivation.
 Flicka 11 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

<Applauds>
 ring ouzel 11 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Gaun yersel John! I went out running today for the first time in 2 years. Managed 30 minutes alternating between walking and running. I reckon I should be running 30 minutes continuously in a month. This is what happens you see when you talk to young people about getting out for more walking and climbing. You realise that they have a head start on you so you need to catch up. Yes TobyS, DonaldM and Heather Monkey - I am talking about you!!
 teflonpete 12 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
Well done John, stick with it. Good on ya!
OP John Lewis 12 Jan 2010
In reply to teflonpete: pete, how you doing? - did you get off the tabs?
 brieflyback 12 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Good effort to motivate yourself in these conditions.

I may need a kick up the arse to get out there myself, I have noticed the effects of Christmas and an elbow injury starting to manifest themselves...
In reply to Martin76: Your lazy half hearted numpty, get your arse out there and start working, no ones going respect you for sitting around bleating about it, only getting on and doing something.

Consider your arse well and trully kicked, report back within 24 hours with a progress update or there will be worse to come!

J
 brieflyback 12 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Cheers....but its coooollld outside....!

Can we make it 48 hours?
In reply to Martin76:
>
> Cheers....but its coooollld outside....!
>
> Can we make it 48 hours?

Run faster / further then you pansy! Do you think it will be much warmer on Thursday?
OP John Lewis 14 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: So Martin76 cant you take the pace, even this pathetically slow one!

Come on go for it
OP John Lewis 18 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Well folkes I'm still going for it. Week 3 day 1 of the plan and still able to complete it and do a little extra.

less than 2 months ago I couldn't run 500 meters

Today I managed 5.5K and ony 23% walking. in 35 minutes

Legs don't ache, thanks to some great advice from Zygoticgema
Coughing stopped after the 3rd week
Breathing and speed getting closer to a sustainable rate

All on target to complete 5K in Feb non stop. Would like to beat 30 mins but time is less important than doing it.

How you all doing then?

Flicka 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

<Applause>

ring ouzel 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Wk 2 and still struggling on. Went for a run in a local wood yesterday but it still had deep snow. I was either running in foot deep wet snow or on ice where people had been walking, my stabilizer muscles got a really good workout! Today I am going to do some 'comfort' exercise and do some kickboxing.
 Robo 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

My dilemma is that I'm above my climbing weight but don't have a lot of fat to lose. The more I run to burn fat the more weight I'm likely to put on my legs.

I'm away with work at the moment so 'm going to try and na dbe as active as I can, 1 night of the week doing long steady cardio (running 5k, maybe a bit of rowing), 1 night a week bouldering, 1 night doing more weights.

I'm hoping that increasing activity will keep me fit and strong, and help me trim down a bit. It seems like the fitter I get at the moment, the more weight I put on!
 mark mcgowan01 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Hi John
i'm 41 and 14.5 stone - just started trying to get fit again (mid life crisis!). started cycling first and doing basic pull-ups to get the body moving. also began a meat based diet to help things along. i could probably on do 6A french at moment but should progress as weight drops off and fore arms wake up - although it hurts more in the morning when your older...
OP John Lewis 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Welll done guys, it's not about beating each other just doing something for ourselves.

I'm learning a little regularly and still enjoying it makes it easier and more benificial. Sharing what you do also helps get positive feedback and encouragement.

Keep going!
 chris gooder 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Well done John for making the effort to get fitter.
If you are training alone do you find it hard to get motivated? I do, but
when I'm out running I'm glad I made the effort.
Look forward to seeing the new you and climbing with you again.
Cheers,
Chris.
 Robo 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

I think it's more a question of habit than motivation. If you go for a run every other day, or whatever, then you'll do it not out of a burning desire, but because it's what you do.

Otherwise, for motivation I imagine myself with no exercise, as a big, wheezing fatty and imagine my ideal shape on the other end, and take the steps towards the desired outcome!

However, I'm slightly baffled how to go about shedding weight...
OP John Lewis 19 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: I don't have a problem motivating myself, I have set a target and I will just make sure I dont let a day or rep slip. As someone said the hardest part is going to do it.

Posting here and on FB does help because like many things in life if you can hold yourself accountable to someone, then you apply enough pressure on yourself to achieve it.

My first couple of outings were very intimidating, just like the first time I went to a climbing wall and thought I would look like a pillock. In fact others watch you and advise, encourage and mostly are just glad you made the effort at whatever grade.

So we have to kick off the self imposed need to compete with others and accept that we may fail and of we keep working at it we may suceed, just like dogging a climb just beyond our ability level.

IMHO thats the best way to get better at anything

Chris yeah climbing soon sounds good, I recon the fitness is starting to have a positive effect on my climbing as well

OP John Lewis 25 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Still going guys! 4.6K 30 mins
 mark mcgowan01 25 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
be like Elvis -'go man go!'

well done...

ive lost another 2lbs this week - 40 to go!
 Tall Clare 25 Jan 2010
In reply to mark mcgowan01:

apparently I've lost 2lb in the last week so I have eight to go. If someone could tell me to get my fat arse off the sofa and go out for a run-ette this evening that would be marvellous, ta.
 pog100 25 Jan 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

I wouldn't presume! I was brung up right, me.
 mark mcgowan01 26 Jan 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:
get my fat arse off the sofa and go out for a run-ette this evening that would be marvellous, ta.

Tall Clare 26 Jan 2010
In reply to mark mcgowan01:

hah! working until 9pm tonight so the next one will have to wait until tomorrow morning. Thank you though
 waterbaby 26 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Well done John. You seem to be like a rolling stone, gathering fellow runners.

I've seem to be having injury probs again, hope it's going to be something and nothing. Can't afford all this down time-first the snow, then this. Debating whether I can run tomorrow or not, I shall wait for the morning, fingers crossed
 waterbaby 26 Jan 2010
In reply to marsbar:

Hey, I'm doing the Great North Swim, too. I want my head examining, exciting though (I think).

Good luck with it.
 The New NickB 26 Jan 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

To be blunt, you are carry an extra three stone, running is not fun in that position, the smoking won't help either. II would start with and hour of brisk walking each night and a healthy diet. Get out on the bike for a couple of hours at the weekend.

Don't try and do things you hate, the secret is regular exercise, it does not need to hurt to gently improve fitness and lose weight, but it does take a commitment of time.
OP John Lewis 26 Jan 2010
In reply to The New NickB: I know that only too well. Gave up the smoking, started modestly, and now on a program that seems to be working. Lost 9lb since the start of the year.

Wilst initially i hated the idea of running, it has become an obsession and whilst hard I am enjoying it. Oh and my last run last night did not hurt so I feel I am getting somewhere.

The biggest risk now is giving up. Have to keep going!
 mark mcgowan01 26 Jan 2010
set an exact objective for 6 months from now:
- a new climbing standard or something along those lines
Marc Johnston 03 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Hey,
I'm in the same boat. Roughly 5'8 - 5'9 and weigh approx 15stone.

I admit I haven't been climbing in a while, hence why I'm on here to start again but I just don't seem to be able to shed any weight.

I stopped smoking and drinking altogether, go training at least 4-5 times a week which involves things like running, squash, CV equipment in gym, cycling.

Got a fairly decent diet but never seem to lose weight, I always seem to stay the same weight even though people say "have you lost weight?" lol and also noticing it myself in the mirror.

I'm guessing i'm just replacing fat with muscle but thats not really what I want lol would be nice to drop a few stone.
OP John Lewis 08 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Well, Ladies and Gents,(and the rest of you of course) I have a little announcement to make...........

According to the scales this morning I have lost the first stone.

(although a second check to let Mrs L confirm the fact resulted in them going back to their old lieing ways, and making it 13 pounds. (barstewards)
Daithi O Murchu 08 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

well done keep going,

dont start treating yourself to cakes just yet
OP John Lewis 08 Feb 2010
In reply to Daithi O Murachu: unfortunatly the weekend (being two birthdays might have included soem cake, although I suspect there was worse as well in the form of liquid nourishment)

Just run 4.6k in 32 mins only two 1 min walks! woooo hooooo
OP John Lewis 15 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis: And finally done it 5k non stop 30:59. Can I give up now pleeeeeeeese, I'll be good honest!
 VS4b 15 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

well done.

Now you need to do 10k without stopping
OP John Lewis 15 Feb 2010
In reply to VS4b:
>
> well done.
>
> Now you need to do 10k without stopping

Already got my plans & thanks to everyone who encouraged me to get this far.
 PontiusPirate 15 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

I can't say much more than 'keep up the good work'

Come December I reckon you may want to ask for a heat rate monitor for Christmas!

PP.
In reply to John Lewis: you take it easy, dont want you having an acute myocardial infarction, trust me Im a doctor (not).
 KiwiPrincess 15 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
just saw this.... good work!
Very motivating as I had a chesty cold and haven't felt up to exercise for about 3 weeks so I'm going out to huff and puff what I can in this state, before I loose all the fitness I had.
OP John Lewis 16 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Thanks!

PP, starting to think about getting GPS watch thingy but dont think money will streatch that far for a while.

Fawksey, good to see you about again, how's your own fitness coming along. I seem to have stopped losing weight again, but 12lb lighter than on NYD.

Kiwi, As you probably know the hardest part is just getting out there, gof for it.
OP John Lewis 28 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Still going folks! Every time small improvements. How you all doing?

J
 mark mcgowan01 28 Feb 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to John Lewis) Still going folks! Every time small improvements. How you all doing?

getting there John - Ive lost a stone now and am at wall twice a week with old climbing buddy - getting psyched for some serious training now - just need to avoid injuries that will stall my quest!

go for it...
OP John Lewis 10 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Still going, have entered a 10k in July but there is also one in May that has a significant reason for me to do.

So today I went out so see what might be possible

9.52k in 1:01:29.

5:45 walking in total and about 1:30 of that was sorting out my MP4 player, which switched off automatically 45 mins into the run.

Hmmmm 10 sub 1 hour, in May?

And Basically a Stone lighter than New Years Day.

So all good

How about anyone else?

J
 3 Names 10 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Hey thats great work John keep plugging away.
I just noticed when I last posted on here I weighed 12stone, im now down to 10.5
 was 10 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis: I ran 4.56 miles in 41 mins last week. I find the ipod is a great distraction and keeps you running to the beat! At 14 and 6 and a half stone I don't have much weight to lose but I can feel a difference in endurance and running efficiancy.
OP John Lewis 10 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Dr Sidhead - blooming good effort sir, I note that you got from 14 as well, I must try harder!

Wilfred - really you are not even close to old enough yet or heavy enough, running at less than 10 stone is just cheating!

Seriously well done, wish I had maintained it rather than gone for the lose then regain it method.

J
 VS4b 10 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Good effort people!

I've been 'benched' due to a stress fracture which meant i missed my planned half marathon last weekend. Gutted. Especially as i had got my wky miles up to 25+ and got through a 14mile practice run too. So, now waiting to get running again and trying (not very successfully) not to eat too much birthday cake/chocolates.

PS - I think running under 15st is cheating let alone 10!
ice.solo 11 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

nice one all.

ive havent followed your progress for a while - good to see youre all actually taking it on face first. go hard.

JL, of course you will do under 1hr for the 10ks - dont f*cking let yourself not!

only those who go to far, know how far they can go!!
OP John Lewis 13 Mar 2010
In reply to ice.solo: Tnx, I read the Liams ultra running thread with great interest and some understanding and noticed your comments on there.

I never thought I could run, ever. Wednesday was a watershed, very nearly doubled my distance, found a very different runner in me on the second half, almost forgetting running and enjoying the freedom I have created for myself. The first half was just warming up and settling into a pace by comparison.

Ached on Thursday, but not enough to not go for a short run with a friend who wanted someone to go with him for his first ever run. The aches dissapeared, in fact it helped them to go. Was amazed at how far I had come, pacing, pick ups, managing my cardio rate, breathing etc, finished with a great long sprint at a pace way beyond anything I could have imagined upt0 3 months ago

Bouldered for several hours badly on Friday night but having been out clubbing Thursday till 4am I was shockingly bad.

Took today off, but eager to get out for my shorter hilly run again tomorrow morning.

Getting interested in just how far I'm going to be able to take this, for the first time I can see how a marathon distance is possible, longer even, although really I'm probably more interested in a sprint tri or even an iron man in the long run. Starting to think about getting back to swimming again as well, and applying what I have learnt about me and running there.

Thanks for your comments and advice.
 Trangia 14 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Hill/mountain walking is really good, and aim to keep up a good pace without too many stops. It's also enjoyable, and you can do it solo if there is no-one to do it with.

If there are no mountains near you aim to do good long country walks around you. Again keep up a good pace and aim for about 6-10 miles or more. With the lighter evenings coming in you can build walks into your evening routine. You like cycling so intersperse cycle rides in to get a change. Chose routes incorporating hills.

Set yourself quality walk/cycling/climbing time around your work schedule. Early mornings or as I say above evenings now the days are getting longer.

Go out walking or cycling regardess of weather (subject to safety considerations). As soon as you wimp out due to rain/cold you loose the momentum, set a schedule and stick to it. So long as you avoid weight inducing food (sweets, chocolate, cakes etc) it doesn't really matter if you eat large healthy portions of wholesome food, because if you have a good walking/cycling regime you will burn it off.

When you go cragging don't necessarily aim for crags near to the road, chose ones with long walk ins and treat the walk in as part of the overall experience. Your criteria should be the quality of the climbing rather than it's convenience for car access. That's not to say you shouldn't do a mixture of both!

Keep you alcohol consumption down to a minimum or even cut it out. If you can go days and weeks without smoking then cutting it out completely shouldn't be a problem.

Build exercise into you daily life. Eg Don't use the car for short journeys, walk instead. Never take lifts up, always use stairs. Jog up stairs rather than walk. Is walking/cycling to and from work feasible?

Don't expect an instant result, it takes time. By varying the terrain and venues you will make the walks interesting and will want to do them for their own sake. The weight loss and increase in fitness will be a welcome byproduct.

You have to be prepared to change your life style for ever, treat your regime as a way of life, not a chore which you are doing on a temporary basis to get fit. Once you get fit, keep it that way, beware of "relaxing" and slipping back into the old ways.

I've put "relaxing" in " " because it's an attitude of mind where you think of laying off exercise as some kind of reward at the "end" of the regime. It isn't - it belongs in the past. Your reward is feeling fitter for ever, but it needs to become your lifestyle.
ice.solo 14 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
nice one john.

good to here your still raving too - never let running take over you life (it can easily become an obsession) dancing for 8hrs straight is as much an endurance event as running 8hrs is.
tho assistance is often allowed

and yeah, even the great dean karnazes talks about day after running to get the cogs turning again.

try for the long distance stuff. really, its a world of its own and translates well to any other pursuit.
md@r 14 Mar 2010
This is a nice simple beginners jogging plan for getting started at
http://www.nike.com/europerunning/flash/train/pdfs/beginners-5k.pdf
OP John Lewis 31 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Still going folks, 9K hilly run last night 1:02:22 all non stop.

Anyone else?

J
 waterbaby 31 Mar 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Excellent, John, you kept it up.

How weird, I was wondering earlier, as I went out for a 'jog', how you were getting on

I've not run for 2 weeks due to sickness. I was just getting back on form too, it's a shame. Today was hard, just because I was so stiff and awkward. I'm going to go see the Doc again about my ? bursitis, it's now getting on my nerves. I need to know what is actually wrong and if there is anything I can do about it. Otherwise I won't be able to increase my distance, as the pain is holding me back.

PS. I'm still fit though
 jfw 31 Mar 2010
john - having read this thread for the first time i am intrigued as to what advice zygotacaemia gave you to stop your legs aching??
OP John Lewis 31 Mar 2010
In reply to jfw: Well when zyg gave it it was free but apparently now qualified, it's of commercial value so I'm not sure I should share it

Zyg over to you!

(basicall 4 simple streatching excercises Calves, Glutes, Quads and back that I did religiously before and after running, which particularly when I started really helped.)
ice.solo 01 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

there ya go. its all in the hills eh?

if you search about theres all sorts formulas for translating hills into distance and applied exertion etc. nerdy - but anyone whos ever run a hill thinks about it.

ive been outta running action too - nasty, stupid accident at the indoor wall left me hobbling, but this weekend im might be back to it - dont think ill manage 9ks tho, certainly no down hills. 3 weeks just doing pull ups and on a rowing machine has me straining at the chains.

me thinks youre heading towards the hydration pack-and-fell shoes syndrome. chuck a headtorch and a few gels in a little pack and head out for a few hours. good for the soul.
really, the leap from 9ks to 20ks will be fast (tho from 20 to 30 can be hard) and on a nice day, by yerself across the hills it all makes sense. believe the hype.
OP John Lewis 01 Apr 2010
In reply to ice.solo: Mate, thanks for all the advice and encouragement, I must point out that these were road hills and a bit of track, I do live in London.

Sorry to hear you've been out of action and I really inderstand how you must be chomping at the bit to get out again.

Having done that I can see that the doubling of it wont be so bad either, but finding the time will be hardest, with a family to consider, not been climbing enough either.

Last weekend was away in Pembroke and woke up and just went for a 4k just to loosen up before climbing. What a difference.

J
OP John Lewis 12 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis: I know its all getting a bit mundane but I have just completed 11.51K just for fun, slow but enjoyed the evening runnign a rough track out along the river and back

I've even entered two sponsored 10k runs, the first on in May in memory of a young man from here who died on Boxing day in the Atlas Mts. Any contribution to his memorial Award to fund similar young men getting the opportunity to adventure would be gratefuly recieved.

J
ice.solo 13 Apr 2010
just completed 11.51K just for fun, slow but enjoyed the evening runnign a rough track out along the river and back

a long way from the guy last year who said he could run 100 yards and hated it.
well done.

that extra 1.51k will do you good for the 10k race. let us know how the race goes. japanese banking system makes donation (and any other bloody transaction) difficult, apologies.
OP John Lewis 13 Apr 2010
In reply to ice.solo:

> that extra 1.51k will do you good for the 10k race.

Thats my thinking at least one run over the 10k per week will give the opportunity to finish the 10k with some style I hope. Some doubt about doing it in the hour though, but that may just be because the last few ruins have felt difficult, hence just going for fun.

This was 50% rough track as well which with the zig zagging about and ruts made it all a bit tougher as well. Had to walk more than I havd hoped.

J
ice.solo 13 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

its all out the window anyhow for races - everything changes. things you never thought mattered suddenly do. its a whole lotta fun.
get in there and go hard, and watch what the good runners do.

i got in my first run in a month last friday. hobbled in like a cripple after miles on the flat being overtaken by old ladies on bikes - but lovin it.
not matter how it hurts, always better than not doin it.
OP John Lewis 15 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis: BUGGER! 150mtrs short of 10k in the hour! same course tonigh (rough track to about 9K then road) but in 1:13:52 3:27 faster.
ice.solo 16 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

take it easy!

10ks in an hour is decent full stop, plus youd run an 11.5k and whatever else well within the tapering period when youd normally not run much at all, then you do another 11.5 on trail a few days later...

...im not sure whats to get strung out about.

think about it across the month or so and 10ks in 61mins or so as part of a weekly mileage of whatever youre doing and it maybe a blip on the day, but as part of an endurance thing its great.

dont beat yourself up on the numbers when the overall output is pretty good.

next time taper and youll thrash that time.
OP John Lewis 16 Apr 2010
In reply to ice.solo: sorry dont really understand that?

Monday went just for fun and it felt really good, (walked at 20 and 40 mins then often after the hour but did not care I wanted just to enjoy and I did.

Thursday thought of all the runs I had done and just fancied this one again, (they were both the same route) felt good so went for it, but a little determined to run non stop 10k and so nearly did it, then short walk (had pushed hard in the last 500m to get to the 10k 1 hour.

Really really enjoyed it and felt good all the way, just wanting it to be fun, sorry if it sounded all time concious and that the Bugger was much less serious than it sounded honest. I can see that 10k in the hour is do able in May
OP John Lewis 17 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Ok looked up tapering, basically run 50% less the week before the 10k, (8th May) taking 3-4 days complete rest before.

Yeah had planned that, how does 11.5k, 10k and a 5k each week until the weekend before then 11.5 one week before and a gentle 5k 4 days before then just rest till the actual race?
ice.solo 18 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

sorry john, that cam out all wrong.

what i intended to say was take it easy on yourself, and that your time was good considering you didnt taper - that a week off before would have had you blasting that 10k/hr time.

i think you did awesome, and to be able to race just for fun is admirable - its too easy to take it too seriously.

tapering is a many and varied thing thats quite disputed (runners are no less opiniated about the seemingly trivial than climbers are).
what you suggest above would be a good experiment to refine from.
me, i think its a matter of tapering intensity over distance, ie keep your milage up as its what prepares you, just dismiss the time, hills and stress so it doesnt actually damage you.
then a week before just walk with short bouts of gentle running.

theres an old site called ultrunr.com thath as a world of info on it - very uncommercial and posted by liftime ultra runners elite and average, people that are real and love running.
it wont answer your questions, but it will certainly show you what the sharp end is thinking.
OP John Lewis 18 Apr 2010
In reply to ice.solo: Thanks Ice, Your comments and advice have been really helpful over the months, and really helped me achieve this.

Went for a 4.5k easy run yesterday with a friend who has just started, really slow but also very relaxing.

It's unbelievable to think I can put in an hours run just for fun and have only minimal muscle ache the following day and I really like being able to say that.
 DWilliamson 22 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

I read this thread pretty much in its entirety last week, and it got me keen to finally do what I've been putting off for a couple of months at least - start running.

Got out today and did 5km; turns out it's not quite as awful as I thought it was going to be. So thanks for the inspiration! The trick now, I suppose, is to keep it up...
ice.solo 22 Apr 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

right then! its catching on.

one foot in front of another and just remember: sometimes fun needs to involve a bit of hurt.

thinking like a runner is half the fun. sooner or later when youre driving along you catch yourself thinking 'hmmm, i coulda run that' or 'that trail looks cool'.
its weird, same bit of road on different days can be gliding by effortlessly or grinding away soul destroyingly.

good luck to all those who persevere and dont let the 'why?' and the 'what for?' stop them.
OP John Lewis 26 Apr 2010
In reply to DWilliamson: Well done, good start it all makes sense in the end and becomes enjoyable.

did a 4k 3 times non stop on saturday early after out drinking on the friday night and just sweated the beer out and it was great. There were some little tracks running off and but for the fact I was determined to complete the 3 laps I was being enticed to run them as well.

Need to think about nutrition more now, seems to have the biggest effect on how a 10k + run works out.

Keep up the good work
OP John Lewis 08 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Ladies & Gents......... (and anyone else who feels left out of that group)

I made it

10k in under the hour (59:21 officially)

Woooooo Hooooooo

Thanks for all the encouragement from you all.

Keep going!

J
 waterbaby 08 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Yay John, well done
 Steve John B 08 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Top effort, good on you. What's the next target?
 lithos 08 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

way to go ! nice one - now for the half M ?
In reply to John Lewis: Try Caving great cardio!!!
ice.solo 09 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

never doubted it john.

four and a bit of those and you got yourself a marathon!

(and cheers for the sane words with that lunatic the other day)
OP John Lewis 09 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Can't believe that I'm actually putting this down but spose it's a way of holding myself accountable.

Targets -

Faster, need to work towards 3k in 15 mins next, will start with an aim of 16:30 and then work at improving the time. Starting this week
On the race I did 2k 11min 5 at a new pb of 27:44 (whole minute faster)

July London 10k The aim had been sub 55 but I doubt this is possible but to improve on yesterday by at least 1 minute.

Finally to run a half before Christmas, not necessarily a formal half but at very least the distance.
ice.solo 09 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

if it helps, for half marathons its not unusual for the second half to be a lot faster than the first.

the first is hammering out the bugs, then the second is opening up and (for people that excel at the distance) pushing it home.

at a competitve level the half is really difficult as its just short enough to smash out.
full marathon times are gradually being influenced by half times - not the other way.
halves are run much faster than the first half of a full.
as a competition they sound like hell - but as recreation 20+ks is a great distance, time to really get into the process and cover some ground. also nutrition and hydration begin to make a big impact.

ive heard a good way to train for halves is to simply set a turn around point and try and make as much a time difference possible on the return.
any distance will do to start.

you may find the gap between 10 and 20ks will be surprisingly small - more a matter of your head and your stomach than your feet.

you will do it. you have so far.
get a good drinking system nailed asap and be ready to go thru the shoes.
your addicted, admit it
 escalator 09 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

I've liked this thread, it gives me a warm feeling the way it pops up every now and again, and the fact that John has been given so much support.

Well done John, keep it up.
ice.solo 09 May 2010
In reply to escalator:

yeah. its great seeing john progress and be so forthright about it - not looking for shortcuts and getting the buzz of it paying off.
pretty good 6 months effort.
 Brass Nipples 09 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Is there any form of aerobic exercise you enjoy? If there's something you enjoy you'll more liely keep it up with fitness as a side benefit.

Are there any opportunities to cycle to work or perhaps in the evening? Try increasing your mileage or doing a regular circuit and trying to do it a bit faster each time.

Do you ride a road bike - how about off road to mix it up a bit?
OP John Lewis 09 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis: It's been a great thread, made possible by all the contributors, Thanks

OP John Lewis 10 May 2010
In reply to ice.solo: feel like I need to consolodate the 10k a bit more yet, try to improve speed, and the strategy for running it, not just finishing although I can see thats coming along already just as it did at 5k

Thought about nutrition a bit on Friday (big pasta dinner early evening and no alcahol), then couple of boiled eggs and one bread roll and capachinno for breakfast 3 hours before the run. Seemed to work well, no stitch and energy remained good throughout the race. Little post race ache.

Low distance this week but aiming for times, 3k in 16:30 as a start point.
Bri Edinburgh 20 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Awesome effort, not very often i read every post on a thread!
rossjmc 20 May 2010
In reply to Bri Edinburgh:

Read the whole thread through as well. That's fantastic John. You seem to have come such a long way since you started. I'm very happy for you. Keep it up.
ice.solo 20 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

hey john,

dont go too nuts with the pasta meal the night before - its one of those old myths thats a bit out of date.
if your system isnt glycogen rich prior to the night before a single big meal wont really help, and the meal can be better spent with half protein/half carbs and regular size.
me, i make it sushi, but its not for everyone.
the post race ache can often be a sign of not enough protein. make sure you slam a solid hit straight after the run too.
and on the run as well if its long enough and you can eat on the hoof.

often the night before meal is the main culprit with morning-before bowel/timing issues.

a big pasta meal TWO nights before is good tho.
gives your system time to integrate it then lighten a bit before the run.

your breakfast sounds good. like the pasta, try and make the carb stuff as unprocessed as possible (wholegrain, flax seed etc).
and god bless us all with coffee - cant imagine running without the stuff (and its not banned anymore). even dean karnazes the running guru and near raw food freak allows coffee - 'lifes more colourful with it' he says.

nail the nutrition side and youre most of the way there.
no point having the finest engine and chassis if you put crap into it.
 mattrm 20 May 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Good effort mate, keep it up!
OP John Lewis 02 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Ice, Thanks as always will give that some thought!

Well folkes been a week or so (been off for 4 days of climbing etc including some serious walkings with gear)

The fist 6 months completed, now startign the second

wee bit rusty 30:19 5k flat, but just went on the spur of the moment, and walks about 40 secs, went off too fast (again, muppet)

It has been a great thread, take heart and get out an prove how much more you can do than you think!
Franklin the pedantic cat 02 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

John,

Your last sentence implies you're ending the thread. Please don't. Your acheivements have been an inspiration to people who've posted & some who've not.
OP John Lewis 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat: I could no sooner end this thread than anyone could, certainly not my intention to end it!
Franklin the pedantic cat 03 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
certainly not my intention to end it!

Great! Good news.

ice.solo 04 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

for sure, this is one of the few posts thats not a gripe about bolts, grades, israel or prices.
nor is it armchair theorising over get fit quick supplements and finger injuries.

actual positive progress done with a bit of fun is great stuff and always good to see your progress john.

keep the ball in the air.
OP John Lewis 06 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Humph

Seem to have gone backwards, had to cut my 11k run in half yesterday, felt bloated and unfit! even had to walk several times. Put some weight back on (not much but I really feel it)

Not sure if its the weather (much hotter atm) bad nutrition, only going on the spur of the moment, or just a lack of the millitary regularity I had been used to.

Must and will push through though!

J
OP John Lewis 07 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Ok so Saturday must have been a one off, back tonight and did a PB on my long route, and felt so much better. OK so few walking minutes but what 3 in 1:13:34 not the end of the world and I only went out to enjoy it.

J
OP John Lewis 21 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Ok so I've gone and got a HR monitor, more opportunity to obsess

Now much reading and I work out the following

42 Male Max HR 178 bpm (220-age)

resting HR 70 bpm

targets
long slow run 60-70% 135-146bpm
Aerobic 70-80% 146-156%bpm
Anerobic 80-90% 156-167%bpm
VO2 Max 90-100% 90-100%bpm

So went for a run (10K) yesterday, 1m warm up then tried to keep pace to stay below 156, however slow I went I struggled to keep it below 164. 1:07:00

But legs hardly noticed it recon I could have turned round and done it all again without stopping.

But how slow do I have to go? what HR should I aim for? it does not seem to make much sense to me.

OK weight sticking at 13.7-13.10 (have been a bit naughty on eating recently though), times sticking at about the hour, trying to get 3 10k in a week.

Advice please, anyone!

On a plus 3 lovely ladies have commented on me looking trimmer
 staceyjg 21 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
>
> On a plus 3 lovely ladies have commented on me looking trimmer

Am I one of them??? yes, I know, stop procrastinating and get out running...

*picks up trainers and heads for front door muttering something about inspiration*
 mrchewy 21 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: You really need to find out what your own maximum heart rate is - that formula is just a average really. Lots of people have a higher maximum and on the flip side, lots have a lower one.
Personally at 44, I can still get into the 190s fairly easily, Derek who I was walking with at the weekend can still achieve high 180s at the age of 58, yet I have triathlete mates who struggle to get over 170, despite being ten years younger than me. I'm sure someone will come along to tell you how to find your maximum.

If you train to a heart monitor... it always seems to keep you going to slow, I think everyone feels the same but it does work.
 staceyjg 21 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

OK, can I jump in on your thread, seeing as though you have inspired me to start running again.

First run since before Christmas, other than in the gym on a treadmill. Very bad indeed, did 5k and it took me 40 mins, I'm used to running on a flat curcuit, but since moving house I have no choice but to run up elevations, I don't suppose it helped with the heat and the fact I had my dinner when I came home from work, hopefully it will improve over time.

Thanks John
In reply to staceyjg: Now Stacey, we have already considered your a 42 yr old male, you were not included but you do win brownie points for calling us the same age, you baby

Seriously though well done a hilly 5k would take me 32 even now. Now time to set some targets, let alone running after dinner.
 wilding 21 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

I like Daniels running formula:

At 65-79% of maximum heart rate (HRmax). Daniels recommends that most training miles are performed in E pace.

So should be under 140 bpm for you.

You are going too fast!

Bit of advice from Noakes

The 3RD LAW OF RUNNING INJURIES:
Each Running Injury Indicates That the
Athlete Has Reached the Breakdown Point

Running at 164 bpm all the time is asking for an injury

People always seem obsessed with speed. Run at your warm up speed for the entire run.
In reply to wilding: That was the slowest run I have ever done, and felt the easiest and there was no post run ache at all.

Even walking I was well above 150bpm.

I totally agree, I have tried too hard at times, and there is risk of injury going too fast, I have done 7 months and 250+ miles and had no injury.

I'm not obsessed with speed but in comparable times for the same distance, I'm working to 55min 10k on July 11th if I can. but really it's about being fitter than I was.
 wilding 22 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Sounds like you are enjoying the running. I have to admit i find it hard to run as slow as daniels suggests.

OP John Lewis 22 Jun 2010
In reply to wilding: Thanks, not so much enjoying the running as enjoying what it is doing to and for me
XXXX 22 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

I've only just seen this I think!

You need to work out your max heart rate as someone has already said. Best do this under supervision and don't kill yourself! I did it on a treadmill, by running hard for 5 minutes up hill and resting for a minute. I then upped the gradient and did it again, repeating until I was basically dead.

Turns out my maxHR is about 178 and I'm only 27! If your maxHR is actually 170 then you're pushing it. If it's actually 200, you're fine! Also measure your resting heart rate properly. Mine was about 55 when I did it sitting down, but wearing the monitor during the night it got down to 35! As you can see, the whole thing is far from an exact science.

Basically, HR monitors are quite nice to have but don't take it as gospel. Go on how your feeling more than anything else.

elsewhere 22 Jun 2010
What's a practical way of measuring *maximum heart without a treadmill and just a simple heart rate monitor that shows instantaneous heart rate?

* not sure if it's maximum or some lactic/aerobic limit
 crieff427 22 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

I'm convinced in the power of long walks for building up a base of fitness, if you are starting from being not-very-fit / slightly overweight.
I'm fairly fit and lean, 6' 0'', 71kg, in the gym a lot etc, but I don't do any long walks apart from hiking in and out of the crag. Recently I went for a 12 mile walk with a friend and we both forgot our wallets which meant the halfway pub lunch was out of the question. We walked the last 6 miles both totally famished and by the end I felt as wasted as if I had done a big alpine day, but in a different way. I came to the conclusion then that long walks with minimal but sufficient food and water intake is a great way of shedding weight, building stamina and laying a base for fitness. But, like all my training ideas, this is largely intuitive and may complete balls.
OP John Lewis 23 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: For both days I have been out with it on the Max and Ave HR have been very similar 171 and 163 respectivley. Yet one was attempted as a fast 5K run with a max out sprint (to establish VO2 Max)
whilst the other was a slow easy 10k.

Maybe I'm a diesel with a very limited power band!

Going to have to work it out for me specifically I guess.
 robotninja 23 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

John,

Thanks for this thread, I've just sat and read the whole thing from start to finish. I've just got in from a big (for me - 6 miles, 1h 40, with a 10k sack) walk and I'm now knackered, but reading through this and seeing how chuffed you clearly are with the progress is pushing me to keep at it.

Think I need to start keeping a more detailed log of what I've been doing and push myself to keep at it until I see more results.
OP John Lewis 23 Jun 2010
In reply to robotninja: Well done, Kept a record of dates times and distances (I've run over 250 miles since I started) It really helps. Overall I have got no quicker, but now go much much further.

It's been great all the people who have been motivated from here, keeps me motivated too.

J
OP John Lewis 30 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Been the most effort in a month so far

94.28 K
10:44:57 total time

Starting to taper now to the London 10K

Aim was for sub 55 but I'll now be happy with anything under 59:21. we really are not getting any quicker at the moment.
In reply to John Lewis: Thats 437 K since the 30th November
Peanuthead 30 Jun 2010
In reply to John Lewis: What a fantastic thread!! Keep it up John (although I do sometimes feel a bit like I'm prying into your private diary!) and well done to all you others who are getting inspired too, I've had a lazy week so I'll definitely be upping my game after reading all this!
In reply to Peanuthead: only post what i'm happy for you to read.

Glad you like it I do too.

Go for it!
OP John Lewis 11 Jul 2010
In reply to John Lewis: Evening all.

So today I did the London 10k with 24,998 other good people and a Hobbit

1:03:55 officially. Not what i aimed or hoped for. but what did I learn?

Over hydrating is a big problem, especially when your going to have to stand waiting for 45 minutes before the off.

The value of being able to warm up properly.

Need to sleep better before a big run.

Takaway food is not good nutrition.

Not to be so soft on myself mentally, no giving in and walking when you know you can do it really.

Heat does affect performance.

Other runners do get in the way.

And in just over 6 months I can turn my fitness around a lot. Now to finish the year as i started it.

J
 robotninja 11 Jul 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Congrats! Best of luck with the next six, although from your mindset so far I doubt you'll need it.

Chris
 davegs 13 Jul 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

This all sounds a bit similar to my position except I started running at Easter. We also had a fat club in work so that motivated, so far lost a stone and are a hell of a lot fitter. I agree with John, it makes you feel good.

Keep it up.
OP John Lewis 09 Aug 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

Finding running in the new area hard to get going but I will get there.

This morning I checked weight again and 13.1 thats 27lbs less than 1st Jan(using the same scales)

Not smoked since Feb but for one night in June.

Had a health check today at the new Doc's

Weight 13.5 apparently, dressed and shoes so Ok

But BP is high, really wished I had that checked in Jan as well

They took 4 readings with Sys of 179, 169 and 159 all inside 5 mins but they want me to get below 150 or are sugesting I should go on medication

Did surprise them when they asked about excercise though, 15-20k running a week, 2-3 climbing sessions often including a day outside a week

Oh well needed more motivation.
ice.solo 18 Aug 2010
In reply to John Lewis:

just keep puttin one foot in front of the other. some effects are felt sooner than others. for the exercise youre doing after just half a year, you havent blown a gasket yet - so wait and see what future BP tests say i reckon.

im just back running after nearly 3 months including 2 on the baltoro climbing less than i wished.
body fats way down and its a shock to the quads, but lovin it - especially along the costal trails in hong kong, with high humidity, lots of water and just shorts and shoes.
OP John Lewis 19 Aug 2010
In reply to ice.solo: hey not seen yo uabout for a while, glad your back running.

Did 12k last night planned 10 but got a bit lost in new area. 65m of ascent. 1:24

Slow but longest and most climbing and new route and confused at times, had a bit of walking particulary last 4k.

Ache a bit today but glad to get back to the distance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...