UKC

Flooding affecting Kendal festival?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrisprescott 20 Nov 2009
Does anyone know if the flooding is having any affect on the festival? How bad is Kendal at the moment?
In reply to chrisprescott: in Times article

Several areas recorded record rainfall for November. Gale-force winds are expected and the Met Office has issued 30 flood warnings and more than 70 flood watch alerts.

The Mayor of Keswick, Andrew Lysser, said homes had been evacuated after the Greta burst its banks yesterday morning, with the level 5ft higher than normal. He said: β€œIt is raining now, with another ten hours of rain forecast.”
OP chrisprescott 20 Nov 2009
Just found on the website that the festival is still going ahead, guess I'll be packing the canoe! Any ideas which roads are flooded at the moment on the way to Kendal from the M6?
Lizzie 20 Nov 2009
In reply to all:
I know we're all outdoorsy types and there will be a sense of 'saving face' so everyone will manfully go. But is this really sensible?
what do you think?
 Petarghh 20 Nov 2009
In reply to chrisprescott: Travelled to kendal yesterday via the "shut" Shap road. It was pretty bad conditions wise, and from the areas we drove around, the flooding wasnt too extensive (but then we only went to the wall). The M6 was very slow moving last night. was meant to be kayaking today. Cancelled due to Keswick being a total no-go!
Lizzie 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Anonymous:
my thoughts exactly.
 Jim Lancs 20 Nov 2009
The heaviest rain has been to the north and west of Kendal ( Wndermere / Ambleside and the north). Seathwaite in Borrowdale has had over 12 inches of rain.

The River Kent is pretty full and there's the usual heavy rain deep puddles on the A591 by the Travelodge, but generally it's not too bad. The Westmoreland Gazette site has the latest road news. http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/li/traffic.in.Kendal If the 591 stays shut, come off the M6 at J36, go east towards Kirkby Lonsdale for 300 yards and then left to Kendal on the old A65 via Crooklands and Endmoor.
Lizzie 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Jim Lancs:
what if i'm coming from A65?
 Tall Clare 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Lizzie:

take the right turn on the last roundabout before the M6 - that takes you onto the old road Jim mentioned.
Lizzie 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
thank you

i realised this morning, outof all the various shoes and boots i own, i don't have any wellington boots!

a trip to matalan maybe.
 sutty 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Lizzie:

Wellies, nay you need a fishing tackle shop and waders, maybe.
 DR 20 Nov 2009
In reply to chrisprescott:
This is from Cumbria Police this morning. This isn't an over-reaction either - don't try and travel through the Lakes from the north to Kendal just for the Festival - all the emergency services are stretched enough as it is and don't need to deal with people getting stuck for non essential journeys. You should be able to get to Kendal from the south but leave early - it's going to take you a while!

I've seen nowt like it yesterday - attempted to get to work in the north from Kendal and every road bar the motorway was closed. You could have water-skied down Kirkstone there was that much water on it.

Davie

Emergency Services Flooding Update - 09:45

The rain is stopping across the county and the Environment Agency is expecting a break in the weather today causing river levels to fall across many areas of the county. However there are still concerns of the amount of water on high ground that is entering the water courses and flows remaining very strong. River Derwent and River Eden are expected to remain high for at least the next twelve hours.

More rain is forecast for Saturday and Sunday.

There is currently only one confirmed missing person. This is the Cumbria Police Officer who went missing in the early hours of this morning whilst taking part in the rescue operation around the Northside area of Workington. A search operation is underway and we have assigned a liaison officer to support the family. This is an extremely difficult time for the officer's colleagues, who are still committed to supporting the community and dealing with the flood situation.

The emergency services are taking part in a large scale operation in the West of the county, particularily around the Cockermouth, Keswick and Workington area. This involves Police, Fire, Ambulance assisted by the military who are checking homes and assisting anyone who may be trapped.

Police are asking people to take a common senses approach to ensure they remain safe.

Do not drive unless essential
Do not walk through floodwaters
Do not try and unblock drains yourself.
Look out for vulnerable friends and neighbours.
Have torches, mobile phones, waterproofs, water, radios with batteries, medication and other essential items at hand in case you cannot get home or need to be evacuated.

Members of the public are continuing to be urged not to use bridges as vantage points to view the flood waters. This could be extremely dangerous and the public are advised to stay away from bridges and use caution and common sense.

Two bridges in Workington have collapsed including Navvies footbridge, Southside Road Bridge and Northside Bridge.

Engineers are attempting to monitor bridges for structural damage but it is difficult to do this while waters remain so high.

People are being urged to avoid all non-essential travel in Cumbria. Many roads are closed and impassable.

People are asked not to go out on the fells this weekend as the ground is saturated and high winds are forecast. Mountain rescue teams have been fully deployed in rescue activities and continue to be a valuable support to the multi-agency approach.

Due to the severe weather 999 calls from Workington, Cleator Moor and Harrington are currently not getting through. People in these areas are being asked to call 0845 33 00 247 to reach all emergency services.

brieflyback 20 Nov 2009
In reply to DR:

I think the point about MR being committed in the towns this weekend, and requesting people not to go on the fells is worth repeating.
Lizzie 20 Nov 2009
In reply to :
I realise this is a shallow questions considering the circumstances, but I'll ask anyway.

If advice from authorities is not to travel, then can we get refunds on tickets to Kendal. It's an expensive weekend.

clearly i look like a shallow tw*t asking this and i am actually much more concerned about the people there and that they are ok. but I've asked anyway.

thanks
(abuse now?!)
 skeev 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Lizzie: Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me. Contact the organisers? (that way they might be able to resell your tickets on the door)
 Jim Lancs 20 Nov 2009
The situation is really grim in the north and west of the Cumbria. Kendal is in the south east of the county.

There are no problems with the M6 from either north or south to J36. There is a good route from there to Kendal.

At the moment, access to the KMFF is nether hazardous, insensitive or antisocial.
 net 20 Nov 2009
In reply to chrisprescott: The weather around Kendal is by and large a lot better today!

The centre of Kendal itself is fine - it's the roads to and from it that have some rather large puddles that are a bit of a problem, but it seems that many roads in the Kendal area are starting to reopen.

There are travel updates here: http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/li/traffic.in.Kendal/
 net 20 Nov 2009
In reply to net: (by the centre of Kendal I mean where the Brewery is, as there are houses that have flooded because of water backing up through the drains etc and houses just outside of Kendal that are very flooded by the river - but it's not likely to affect those coming from out of Kendal to the film fest.)
In reply to net: and the heavy rain predicted for Saturday and Sunday?
 net 20 Nov 2009
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: I was just pointing out that Kendal is not at present looking like Cockermouth, and the forecast is not as bad as it was for Wednesday/Thursday. There highest tides (which were backing up the Kent) have now also passed, which should hopefully make a difference.

Whether you come to the festival or not is entirely up to you - I was just pointing out that most stuff in town was up and running normally last night.
Wrongfoot 20 Nov 2009
In reply to chrisprescott:

Speaking as a man with a GF who's been up all night in the incident room I'd steer clear.

The flood levels may have peaked at around 3am but hardly fell at all the ground is absolutely saturated and any rain will effect levels directly. There is no latency - expect worse tonight and Saturday when the next front comes through. The worst is not yet over (although most people at risk are now evac'ed).

Stay at home. Don't for a minute think you are supporting the area by still attending the film festival. Your prescence will slow down the return of services and interfere with much needed help. Right now the community in the Lakes doesn't need extra people.

IMO if the FF organisers had any sense or concern for the local community they'd have called the FF off already. I expect that many of us hardcore climber types will no doubt soldier on and through to the festival oblivious to how selfish we are being in this case The festival may still be a success biut that's not the big picture is it?
 brieflyback 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Wrongfoot:

Apparently the A65 is currently closed near Austwick (just W of Settle). Not sure whether this is weather related, or just the normal pillockry.
 Jim Lancs 20 Nov 2009
The River Kent in Kendal has dropped by about four feet in the course of the day. All roads in and out are clear, with the exception of a puddle on the north side of the A591.

Things will continue to improve over night as no more rain is forecast until Saturday afternoon / night. The Met Office is less than 60% confident that this will amount to more than 25mm. (This is less than one sixth that which fell on Thursday). Heavy showers are then forecast for Sunday.

People have to make up their own mind whether to go, but there's no ground swell of opinion amongst the people in Kendal that people should stay away. Nothing really exceptional has happened in the SE Lakes; it rains round here quite a lot. I'm not denigrating the problems they've got in Cockermouth and NW Cumbria, but it's very different to round here.
OP chrisprescott 21 Nov 2009
Up in the South Lakes now, and its not really been to bad from our point of view and Kendal seems clear enough if people are considering still coming up. We've only seen one obvious area of flooding and that was just a small patch yesterday around the two BP garages on the way into Kendal, but that had also cleared by the time we headed out of Kendal in the evening.
 kevrob77 21 Nov 2009
In reply to chrisprescott: I was in Kendal last night. Took J37 off M6. No issues at all. Saw premier of The Asgard Project. Glad I didn't miss it, it was awesome!
 Jim Lancs 21 Nov 2009
The 'French Market' and the official turning on of the Kendal Christmas lights both went ahead today with massive crowds.

Add in everyone at the Film Festival and the town is packed.

Officials from the Lake District Tourist Board (the second largest sponsor of the KMFF) are delighted.
Wrongfoot 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Wrongfoot:

Well I think it's fair to say I overstated the case for staying away. The South Lakes weren't as awful as was suggested to me.

Hope those who went enjoyed themselves.
 imkevinmc 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Wrongfoot: Well said !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...