UKC

getting a Joe Brown book signed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 22 Nov 2009
hello

I've recently been given a first edition of Joe Brown's 'The Hard Years'. I thought it would be nice to have it signed by Mr Brown himself. Any ideas how I might go about this?
 Dominion 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Turn up at Buckingham Palace when he gets his knighthood, wait until he's just been knighted by HMTQ, then stride up, and ask if he could sign your book.

||-)
 winhill 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Very few people know what's Joe's signature looks like so just do it yourself.

Also then you can enter a congratulatory message, something along the lines of 'Thanks for everything Clare, I don't know where I'd be without you, our relationship is one tie I hope never gets cut'.
 Dominion 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Dominion:

Although, more seriously, there are people on this forum who know him, and I suspect you'll get a discrete email sooner or later, with some sort of assignation.

You'll have to turn up at Froggatt wearing a whillan's harness, carrying a first edition of Hard Rock, and solo Brown's Eliminate, then Joe will sign your book!

mr rob 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: you should just buy the book from joe browns shop. mine was signed and i think all the ones they sell are
OP Tall Clare 22 Nov 2009
In reply to mr rob:

er... I already have the book. As mentioned in the OP. Thanks for the thought though.
 Blue Straggler 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Dominion:
> you'll get a discrete email

Just the one, on its own? ||-)
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to mr rob)
>
> er... I already have the book. As mentioned in the OP. Thanks for the thought though.

I think he knew that and was suggesting buying another copy
In reply to Blue Straggler:

oh. It's this copy I'd like signing though.
 Dominion 22 Nov 2009

Well, some of the others will discreet, and some will be blatant!
In reply to Tall Clare:

I knew that. mr rob may have missed that point, admittedly.

I am going upstairs for my second nap of the day, so that I won't be crabby on the Internet later
 Dominion 22 Nov 2009

> I am going upstairs for my second nap of the day, so that I won't be crabby on the Internet later

Blimey, I've had serious insomnia since Thursday, and have had 6 hours sleep since Thursday morning.

Can I use that as an excuse?
jackcarr 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

All the copies he sells in his shop are signed, but aren't first editions.

I'm sure he'd be happy to do it. Just rock up to Llanberis or Capel Curig and ask!
 robdan 22 Nov 2009
In reply to jackcarr: Does he actually spend much time at his shops nowadays ?
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'll swap you for my signed copy. Actually, you can just have it. Not likely to suffer my way through it again...
In reply to featuresforfeet:

I haven't read it yet - I collected it yesterday. I've also got, amongst others, a first edition of Terray's 'conquistadors of the useless', but I feel my chances of getting that signed are somewhat slimmer...
 JimR 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Does it matter which Mr Brown it is? Maybe Gordon might do the biz?
 mattrm 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ring them up and ask nicely if he'll sign it if you put it in the post to them with an SAE. It's the obvious way and IMO well worth a try.
In reply to JimR:

It might be a bit self-limiting of me but I can't help but think that having the author sign the book has a little more relevance than some randommer. Or Gordo.
jackcarr 22 Nov 2009
In reply to robdan:
> (In reply to jackcarr) Does he actually spend much time at his shops nowadays ?

He's almost always in the Capel Curig shop when I'm there. Ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes last time I was in there. Bloody nice bloke, but you'd never think to look at him now he's one of the greatest climbers ever!

pog100 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have a good friend who knows him personally and climbed with him up to a couple of years ago. I can ask how 'prickly' he is about such things ... The friend is a Huddersfield chap, you might even know him!
In reply to pog100:

Oo, that would be good. I'm wondering who you might mean...
In reply to Tall Clare: I bumped into him once at Tremadog. He let me absail down his rope.

Who wants to touch me?

(Sorry, that's not very helpful but I honestly just can't go more than 12 hours without telling someone).

(It was three years ago).
In reply to Shaun L:

guffaw!
 Rob Exile Ward 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Shaun L: I pee'd next to him 40 years ago in the Padarn Lake Hotel and still tell people. (Though it's a lie - I got so excited when I realised who I was standing next to that I suddenly lost the urge).
 Dominion 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Could have been worse, you could have been overtaken by a sudden, immediate urge to shake his hand...
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Shy bladder syndrome...nasty!
 Conf#2 23 Nov 2009

Hahaha, that's fantastic!
 mr mills 24 Nov 2009

Used to play pool with him years ago at the Vic in Llanberis and always beat him, bad looser, very competitive and a bit of a hussler, but not good enough for the local hot shot !!!

If you want him to sign you`r book, just ask any of the staff at Joe Brown`s at Llanberis or Capel Curig and I`m sure they will sort it out for you
OP Tall Clare 24 Nov 2009
In reply to mr mills:

thank you - I'll do that next time I'm over that way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...