UKC

Into thin air- any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob wmc 22 Nov 2009
The film based on Jon Krakauer's book is on '5' tomorrow afternoon, is it worth recording or will I be wasting two hours of my life?
In reply to rob wmc:

I thought it was good, definately worth watching
 Dominion 22 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc:

Probably worth watching, but also worth looking at it from another point of view, not definitive.
 fleapitfan 22 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc:

Off topic, I know, but the book is very good. Caused a lot of contention IIRC.
 sleavesley 22 Nov 2009
In reply to fleapitfan: to be read as well as The Climb by Antoli Boukreev
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

ooops my apologies, was thinking of 'touching the void'.... never seen 'Into thin air'.
 RuthK 22 Nov 2009
In reply to sleavesley:
> (In reply to fleapitfan) to be read as well as The Climb by Antoli Boukreev

Yep, definitely worth reading this too to hear the other side of the story. Not half as black and white as Kraukner tells it.
kluz 22 Nov 2009
In reply to sleavesley: Found a book in Oxfam the other day while I was in London called Climbing High, A woman's account of surviving the Everest Tragedy by Lene Gammelgaard, should be interesting...
 sleavesley 22 Nov 2009
In reply to kluz: I have it - it is written in Diary form and i got quickly bored of it!
Not very well written - The Death Zone by Matt Dickinson is a good account of Everest along with Dark Summit by Nick Heil
 Pedro50 22 Nov 2009
In reply to kluz:
> (In reply to sleavesley) Found a book in Oxfam the other day while I was in London called Climbing High, A woman's account of surviving the Everest Tragedy by Lene Gammelgaard, should be interesting...

It ranks with the Beck Weathers account as being in the bottom two believe me.
kluz 22 Nov 2009
In reply to sleavesley: Yeah read Dark Summit recently very interesting, I do prefer the older pioneering books though...
kluz 22 Nov 2009
In reply to Pedro50: It was only shree squid...
 Pete Main 22 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc:Yes, I'd recommed it *** stars mayby out of five. Enjoy.
AlexLong 22 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc: the book was definitely worth the hours so give it a go Also as others have said make sure you read other perspectives ie: the climb by anatoli boukreev and the death zone by matt dickenson, they are another definite few hours of amazing reading!
 Pedro50 22 Nov 2009
In reply to kluz:
> (In reply to Pedro50) It was only shree squid...

You're right, almost any climbing book is worth reading
OP rob wmc 22 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc: Thanks people, think I will record it. Read the book years ago and thought it was ok, must read 'The climb' sometime though have heard its really good.
 d_b 22 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc:

The book left a bad taste in my mouth. Felt like a hatchet job.

I really disliked "into the wild" as well.
 The Ivanator 22 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc:
"The Climb" is not a literary masterpiece although it is a useful counterpoint to "Into Thin Air" (which is a better read). Far and away the best account from Everest '96 is Jamling Tenzing Norgay's "Touching my Father's Soul" which intermingles the account of the '96 season and his own ascent with his knowledge of his father's ascent in '53. Jamling had a Western education but grew up in a Sherpa community so his book has a unique understanding of where all those on the mountain are coming from, worth seeking out!
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 23 Nov 2009
In reply to The Ivanator: Another interesting tome is 'High Crimes' by Michael Kodas. If only half the stuff in the book is true its scary !
 dickie01 23 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc:
What times it on?
 Co1in H 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC):
> (In reply to The Ivanator) Another interesting tome is 'High Crimes' by Michael Kodas. If only half the stuff in the book is true its scary !

It's not! Ask Russell Brice.
 RockAngel 23 Nov 2009
In reply to rob wmc: the film is pants.
 RockAngel 23 Nov 2009
In reply to RockAngel: will have to read the anatoli boukreev book as I've not read that account of the 96 season on Everest. The book by the sherpa definately looks good too.
 whodared 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Co1in H:
> (In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC))
> [...]
>
> It's not! Ask Russell Brice.

Tell me more.

I found Kodas's High Crimes just about the most depressing book about mountaineering that I have ever read. All the stuff about thieving from tents etc.

Newbuild100 23 Nov 2009
In reply to whodared: Im laid up for two weeks after knee surgery. Ive seen the film before but will watch it again BUT only cos its better than watching that twonk Jeremy kyle.
Im bboooooreedddddddddd with tv already !
 Newbuild100 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Newbuild100: What a load of Pish !
 Al Evans 23 Nov 2009
In reply to Newbuild100: I thought, considering how badly the film could all have gone wrong, it was bloody excellent.
 Al Evans 24 Nov 2009
In reply to Newbuild100:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) What a load of Pish !

It's actually a very accurate reconstruction of the events on Everest in'96, the phone call from Rob to his wife was worlwide news at the time as the tragedy unfolded live on most news networks.
 The Ivanator 24 Nov 2009
In reply to whodared:
"High Crimes" is indeed depressing, and whilst I'm sure there has been some unsportsmanlike behaviour on the big E in recent years, there have also been heroic and unselfish acts.
Kodas seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, call me cynical, but I'd think spending thousands of dollars and not making the summit might have something to do with it.
 Newbuild100 24 Nov 2009
In reply to Al Evans: Yes, agree that the film was pretty accurate. Its just the cheesy way it was done that puts people off I think. Very second rate for that.

(Incidentally, its STILL the best book ive ever read)
 The Ivanator 24 Nov 2009
In reply to Newbuild100:
"Into Thin Air" is a decent read but doesn't rate amongst the great literary works of mountaineering. Try a strong dose of Herzog's "Annapurna".
 Newbuild100 24 Nov 2009
In reply to The Ivanator: Yes, will try that. Its on my list.

I read "ITA" in two nights, in a youth hostel "sitting room" a few years back. I was that engrossed that there could have been any number of things go on around me, and I wouldnt have known about it.
In fact, there probably was !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...