UKC

Mount Meru/ Ol Donyo Lengai - Tanzania

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 THE.WALRUS 26 Nov 2009
Mount Meru/ Ol Donyo Lengai - Tanzania

Has anyone out there climbed these two peaks in Tanzania.

Can anyone recommend a local tour operator?

Prices?
 Axel Smeets 26 Nov 2009
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Been up Meru. Non technical 3 day plod with brilliant dawn views of Kilimanjaro on summit day (see two of my photos). 2 camps with alpine style huts. More of a safari than a mountain climb. Walking most of the way with mild scambling required on summit day. Also the parasitic volcanic cone emerging from the collapsed cliff face is really interesting. Easy and enjoyable mountain
 Axel Smeets 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Oh yes. Went with UK tour operator which subbed out to a local company but can't remember the name - sorry. It's whoever Jagged Globe use.
 Dave C 26 Nov 2009
In reply to THE.WALRUS: Oldonyo Lengai has been and may still be active and is most likely closed unless you have specific permission. A couple of volcanologist friends of mine were on it in 2007 while it was erupting and had to do a runner. Interesting one to visit though as it is currently the only active carbonate volcano on the planet (all the others erupt silicates.)
OP THE.WALRUS 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Axel - I like you photo of Kili from Meru. I'll be quite happy if I can come back with a shot like that...
 rilem 26 Nov 2009
In reply to THE.WALRUS

Meru : When we went a year ago our guided group (organised with Team Kilimanjaro) had to be accompanied by a park ranger(with gun) for our protection, who we picked up at the park station at base. Others were arriving at the start and just organising the park ranger on spec. There were plenty of porters available for hire and we got the impression we could have organised it ourselves (and saved money).
OP THE.WALRUS 27 Nov 2009
In reply to rilem:
> (In reply to THE.WALRUS
>
> Meru ) When we went a year ago our guided group (organised with Team Kilimanjaro) had to be accompanied by a park ranger(with gun) for our protection, who we picked up at the park station at base. Others were arriving at the start and just organising the park ranger on spec. There were plenty of porters available for hire and we got the impression we could have organised it ourselves (and saved money).

Thanks - that's useful information.

I take it, you need to bring your own tents and food etc if you intend to pick up a guide/ porters at the gate, rather than sign on with an organised trek....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...