UKC

More feet problems ! Trench Foot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 30 Nov 2009
Following on from the recent blister thread, I've decidied to do something regarding my feet.

I went for a 30 mile walk on sunday, now I wore a pair of B2 boots as they seem to fit my fit like a glove and I like the stiffness of the sole. However, as you can imaigne my feet get quite sweety; and wet from swamps and streams.

The boots were a bit wet to start off with, as was the sock; a sealskin waterproof one.

After about ten miles a started to develop extremly painful trench foot. Now I know I shoudn't have put wet socks and boots on, but when they are dry I still get trench foot due to sweat.

I don't want to change the boot, so what can I do to stop my fit getting trench foot ?

I saw these, http://www.wslackandsons.co.uk/shop/1000-mile-socks/1000-mile-ultimate-line... , would these work to take away the sweat to keep it on the outside of the sock ? How about some sort of paramo sock ? Could I find a cheap paramo item and sew it into a sock ?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
 remus Global Crag Moderator 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi: I doubt you were getting trench foot, as that requires your feet being wet and cold for prolonged periods of time (12 hours+).
In reply to remtherockclimber: Well, I understood my condition to me that.

They get wrinkled all over, and these wrinkles eventually turn very painful and some into small blisters. After about 48 hours of rest, it all clears up.

NB: this happens on both feet and all of the underfoot is affected
 Dan_S 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

Which boots are you using? I'd go down the route of making sure the boots are "waterproof" using an appropriate treatment rather than using "waterproof socks" like sealskinz.

A coolmax liner sock, and a non-cotton outer sock would work together to keep your feet feeling dryer.
 RockAngel 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi: My son had trench foot last week due to the heavy rain and having to wear school shoes. He ended up being sent home from school and in the doctors and needing a weeks worth of antibiotics.
In reply to Dan_S: I used Salomon SM Lites. I tested them in a bucket of water last week, and the socks and they are still waterproof with no leaking. Whats special about the coolmax liner socks ?
In reply to RockAngel: Now thats quite serious, shame
 LastBoyScout 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

Would have thought B2 boots were plenty waterproof on their own and the Sealskin sock is doing you no favours, so ditch it! It will be stewing your foot in it's own juices, hence the problems you're having!

I recommend using coolmax liner socks and an appropriate version of the Bridgedale socks, which are mainly wool (although anything similar will do). In your case, maybe the amicor liners might be worth considering, if you can find anywhere still stocking them.
 mlmatt 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

Have a word with your docter about getting a perscription strenght anti-perspirant? This is the only thing I can think of if your feet sweat that badly.

Btw that doesn''t sound like trench foot. I think your skin is just getting puckerd and weak from being dreached in sweat. You should dry them out then moisturise them well (E45 cream).

good luck

MRE
moonraker 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi: Personally I would seek proper medical advice.
If you haven't already, try googleing symptoms/preventing/cures for trench foot...I've had a look as I too suffer from excessively sweaty feet when in ankle high boots but I don’t get trench foot, there are socks that say they can “pump” moisture through a wicking strip, up the back of the sock. Do you get foot odour problems, if so; it is possible that antibiotics can help (something I was unaware of).

What is trench foot?
Trench foot, also known as immersion foot, occurs when the feet are wet for long periods of time. It can be quite painful, but it can be prevented and treated.
What are the symptoms of trench foot?
Symptoms of trench foot include a tingling and/or itching sensation, pain, swelling, cold and blotchy skin, numbness, and a prickly or heavy feeling in the foot. The foot may be red, dry, and painful after it becomes warm. Blisters may form, followed by skin and tissue dying and falling off. In severe cases, untreated trench foot can involve the toes, heel, or entire foot.
How is trench foot prevented and treated?
When possible, air-dry and elevate your feet, and exchange wet shoes and socks for dry ones to help prevent the development of trench foot.
Treatment for trench foot is similar to the treatment for frostbite. Take the following steps:
• Thoroughly clean and dry your feet.
• Put on clean, dry socks daily.
• Treat the affected part by applying warm packs or soaking in warm water (102° to 110° F) for approximately 5 minutes.
• When sleeping or resting, do not wear socks.
• Obtain medical assistance as soon as possible.
If you have a foot wound, your foot may be more prone to infection. Check your feet at least once a day for infections or worsening of symptoms.

Dan_S 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

The boots should be pretty much waterproof to start with, so I'd imagine the problem, assuming that no water is getting in over the top (not using a gaiter?) then the wetness is down to the sealskinz socks not being breathable enough. If you are worried about the boots not being waterproof then apply some of this stuff http://tinyurl.com/pktgvf

Coolmax liner socks will wick water away from your foot keeping them dryer. They are also smooth, if you wear them with another thicker, sock (not cotton) then you should reduced the chances of getting blisters too.

In reply to Dan_S: Don't use gaiters, the boots are very waterproof so most rain water stays outside.

As I'm sat here on the PC now, with a pair of business socks and running trainers on, my feet feel hot and sweaty. I'll try and get to an outdoor shop today to see what socks they have. I'll book an appointment for the doctors if UKCer's think I need to seek professional advice on the issue. I've had the problem for many years, but do more climbing than walking so never really bothered me much.
 Murderous_Crow 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

Hi

Definitely ditch the waterproof sock. As was pointed out above the foot will simply stew in its own juices. The use of gore-tex and other 'breathable' materials in walking footwear is completely redundant: the outer of most boots will prevent any wicking whatsoever. A waterproof liner is useful in preventing water getting in, but that's not the only problem here, as your sweat is causing wet feet anyway.

Apologies if this is teaching your grandma to suck eggs. Start with looking after your feet well. Remove excess callus with a pumice - tough skin is fine, anything which is cracked or massively thick is not. Moisturise, keep the nails trim. Check regularly in between the toes for deteriorating skin - a sure sign of fungal infection. You can dab a little surgical spirit between the toes which seems to help prevent bogginess. Spend as much time as possible with your feet open to the air. When out in the hills, get your boots off every few hours and do a foot inspection: remove the wet socks, check for blisters/hot-spots, towel off, dust with some anti-fungal powder and put dry socks on. The poster who suggested wool socks is spot on, I've no experience with coolmax liners but if they wick they will help. Have a pair of flip-flops / sandals to wear in camp. Anti-hydrals may be just what the Dr ordered, but be careful, it's important not to dry the feet out excessively.

3leggeddog 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

I suffered with this for 15+ years, trying allsorts of lotions and potions, alcohol rubs, KMnO4 etc

On the advice of a friend of my sister (chiropodist) I treated my toenails using curanail and started using head and shoulders shampoo as shower gel. Hey presto, no more footrot. During treatment it helps to wear flip flops whenever possible to keep feet dry, you can always add socks for winter warmth and additional style points.

As far as socks go, don't waste your money on posh ones. Use cheapo matalan cotton socks as a liner and throw them away afterwards. Microwave your thick socks to kill the spores in them
In reply to 5cifi: Having spent a lot of time in the army with wet feet my advice on walks of that distance (NOT FOR ONE DAY HILLWALKS) is:

..only use waterproof socks intermittently at most. DO NOT keep them on for prolonged time.

..change your socks regularly.

..when changing them, dry them and talc them too.

..you don't need any NASA specification sock.

..sensible footcare based on regularly checking and adjusting as above is the way ahead rather than doing pu laces at the start and hoping it'll all be alright at the end....a strategy doomed from the outset!

..wet feet expand and get sore with a bit of rash on them. That is categorically not the same as trenchfoot.

..consider a slightly thinner sock for later on in the long day when tyour feet will have expanded...a trade off between cushioning and dealing with swollen feet.
 GPN 30 Nov 2009
In reply to 5cifi:
This all seems like good advice:
http://www.britishhillwalking.co.uk/Articles/nfci.cfm

Anyway, trench foot is a walk in the park compared to Mulu Foot: http://www.mulucaves.org/photos.php?albumid=5316522226399705297&photoid...

George.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...