UKC

Oakenfold: Music: Increasing Dyno Reach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 28 Feb 2003
Having trouble on a long reach or dyno.......are you vertically challanged.....stumpy arms....have negative ape index?

Give this tried and tested technique a try for dynoing on boulder problems.

On your Walkman or iPod have Night Stalker from Paul Oakenfold's Travelling CD (Disc One).

The track is 5 mins and 41 seconds long. At 1m 55s, 2.04s. 2.19, and 3.15 there is a rise in the music.

If you time one of these "rises" in the music to coincide with the dyno on the boulder problem I guarantee success (OR YOUR MONEY BACK).

Well.....it worked for me.

Mick

ian 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:
thought you were into cool music after reading some of your threads before refering to dj shadow.
Far from the madding cows 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Sheep on drugs got me thru the crux
Long Range Sniper 28 Feb 2003
Thats what you get get when you listen to jumped up quasi pop chart mullet techno wank. If you want the real deal check the Plump DJs mix live at Fabric that'll make you jump
cows 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Long Range Sniper: Mullet techno wank I love it , in fact I'm going for one.
OP Michael Ryan 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Long Range Sniper:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA)

> If you want the real deal check the Plump DJs mix live at Fabric that'll make you jump

Will do. I'll get this afternoon when I feed the cats at my friends house ; o )

M

ian 28 Feb 2003
if you wanna check fabric sounds out? i would go for the james lavelle 01 fabric live. easily has to be the best of the fabric series
Yorkshire_Lad 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Forget any of this stupid dance music if u want music to really get ur adrenaline flowing listen to some old metallica albums guarunteed to get u flying up the walls!!
In reply to Yorkshire_Lad:

What...like Led Zepplin?

M
not exactley my choice but still a hell of a lot better than the music made by some guy sat at a computer looping samples over hundreds of times!!
> not exactley my choice but still a hell of a lot better than the music made by some guy sat at a computer looping samples over hundreds of times!!

You mean like Roger Waters? You know...whatisface from Pink Floyd.

M
ian 28 Feb 2003
you know allot about production of dance music then? ha ha
What the hell r u on about i start talkin about thrash metal music and ur bringin up pink floyd?!! (although comfortably numb is quite a good song) I mean James Hetfield not roger walters!!
ian 28 Feb 2003
rekon the only half decent thing metallica have done is so what on the mtv awards a while ago. ( comedy value )

> What the hell r u on

Air and cheese butties, and a cup of tea now and again.

Oh you mean like Napalm Death, they are one of my favorite rock and roll bands. I really like 'em.

They do swear a lot though. That puts me off a bit. I can't listen to that "type" of music when the Vicar comes around to preach to our morning prayer club.

Mick
No i mean like good bands napalm death are pretty much shit!! As in bands recognised for their status and quality of music as in Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns and Roses (although axel rose is a tit!!)
ian 28 Feb 2003
have to agree with you about a rose. anybody who spells there name as a anagram of oral sex is a tw*t.

I'm a Basscadet, what are you?

Mick
Well i play bass guitar but i'd have to say im a metal head, cos im not a mosher, and im not a goth!! I dont go into the whole clothing thing i just love the music!!
innes 28 Feb 2003

Music is a funny thing isn't it? I mean, for Mick it's Oakenfold (I don't know why) and for you it's Metallica (don't know why either).

Horses for courses I guess. For me, to help with a boulder problem it would probably have to be silence. In fact, thinking about it I've done some of my best problems whilst holding a conversation and not thinking about the moves at all.

Strange how you wouldn't, say, look at a painting to get inspiration to wire a move, or read a passage from a book. Maybe if we put scuptures next to difficult problems they would get more ascents. Mmmm.... I seem to be rambling.
In reply to innes:
> (In reply to Yorkshire_Lad)
>
> Music is a funny thing isn't it? I mean, for Mick it's Oakenfold (I don't know why) and for you it's Metallica (don't know why either).

Hold on a sec Innes. I like some Metallica.....I have.....what's the word......electric....no not that......ecstatic....no not that one either........exotic.....nope......acetic...no not that.....auxetic..........ascetic....shit...

Diverse....that's it. Diverse taste in muzak.

Mick
As do i! i listen to everything from mo-town to metal but i dont class dance crap as music sorry but thats my opinion!!

I have a solution to this whole thing me and my friend have been climbing exactley the same amount of time we're both roughly the same build and skill!! The difference is he listens to oakenfold like mick and i listen to metallica!! Our local bouldering wall has just been re-set so on sunday we will have a competition each listening to our respective music, and ill post the results on here after!! I cant say fairer than that!!

That's funny.

I make little distinction when it comes to dance music....I dance like a banshee to Stevie Vai........and Annbjørg Lien and her hardanger fiddle.....stamp my feet to Stuff Smith.....

I'm sure u get the picture.

But I will concede, when it comes to motivational climbing music it is quite often looped electronic music for some reason.

M
innes 28 Feb 2003

Brian Eno (apparently) decided that he would test a theory about music. He recorded the sounds outside his house for three minutes, then listened to the tape on his walkman or whatever lots of times as if it was his favourite single.

After a while, he said that he came to love the 3 minute recording like a piece of music. Especially the bit when the car door closed and the woman with a pram walked past.(!)

Erm.... oh...my ramble is going on again. Anyway, what I'm saying is that anything is music if you put it in the right context. That includes dance, even metallica.
In reply to innes:
Well now that depends what u define as music!! music in my definition is thought about, purposeful, well constructed, and well written but dance music and the tape of street sounds are simply noises that some people enjoy the sound of!!
> (In reply to innes)
> Well now that depends what u define as music!! music in my definition is thought about, purposeful, well constructed, and well written but dance music and the tape of street sounds are simply noises that some people enjoy the sound of!!

You are talking out of your ass....I mean arse now young Yorkshire_lad.

Electronic dance music is very very structured and it appeals like all music to the rhythmic centers in the brain......and yes even the ultimate knob-twiddler himself, Mr.Eno and his "street sounds" is stuctured, purposeful and well constructed.

Try again.

M
How can i be talkin out of my ass if im expressing my own opinion and i also specified well written and purposeful which u sed nothing about i noticed!! But i think u r confusing structure with repetition!!
> How can i be talkin out of my ass if im expressing my own opinion

That's easy, your opinion is arse.

> and i also specified well written and purposeful which u sed nothing about i noticed!! But i think u r confusing structure with repetition!!

Repitition is a structure you knit-wit.

Purposeful? All music is purposeful whether it is the intenion of the composer or not.

Try again.

M

now now no need to get insulting over the whole thing!! my opinion is just as valid as yours!! u still missed out well written!! and if u want well written, well structured, and really, intentionally purposeful music see the band i have been talkin about all the way through as they have been critically acclaimed by Mr Micheal Kamen the head of the san fransisco symphony orchestra!!
> now now no need to get insulting over the whole thing!! my opinion is just as valid as yours!!

Not if it's wrong it's not.

All music, of whatever genre, is stuctured, written and purposeful. Some more than others. Now what you actually like is down to personal taste or opinion. And that you can't argue with.

So you like Metalic Rock above Electronic dance music. That's fine. That's your opinion and is respected. I happen to like both. Both genres are well wriiten have structure and are purposeful.

Do you see my point?

M

Im confused now! First u say my opinion is wrong then u say u respect it, the point i was making is how can an opinion be wrong! and what happened to the whole point of this string which was to see which music aids climbing the most which i intend to find out in the next couple of days by the experiment explained above!!
> Im confused now! First u say my opinion is wrong then u say u respect it,

There's fact. Water is a liquid. Now if you're opinion is that water is a solid. It's wrong.

So you said that electronic music has no structure, purpose etc. Well it does, that's fact. Now an opinion would be that that structure and purpose is crap...you can't really argue with that, especially if you've got good reasons.

You could say that you find the repititive structure of electronic dance music boring and annoying. You can't argue with that.

Is that clearer?

M

FunkyNick 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Yorkshire_Lad: Nah.. the so called experiment you say you are gonna do won't prove a sausage I am afraid... far too many other variables around for you to be able to make any judgement about the effect of the music.

Besides, the effect of one style of music on you, may be the similar to another style of music on your mate... so have you thought that it may not be which genre is best, but more how each person responds to each style of music?
U say water is a liquid, fine, if u freeze it it becomes a solid then the opinion that water is a liquid is true!! All opinions can be correct it just depends on the way that you look at them!!
sorry the opinion that water is a solid is then true i meant to say
> U say water is a liquid, fine, if u freeze it it becomes a solid then the opinion that water is a liquid is true!! All opinions can be correct it just depends on the way that you look at them!!

Bad example.

I diagree some opions can be wrong.

You give me an opinion that is wrong and prove me right.

M;0)

I cant because it's a persons feelings towards something!! Their opinion is not wrong it simply conflicts with your own or even with what u think u know as fact!! Even fact has been proven wrong!! at one point everybody KNEW the world was flat, and at one point everybody KNEW the atom was the smallest thing in the world even fact can be proven wrong.... In my opinion!
> I cant because it's a persons feelings towards something!!

No, an opinion is a strongly held belief, it's not necessarilly correct.

So: does electronic dance music have structure? You know musical structure, is their a pattern?

M

> Even fact has been proven wrong!! at one point everybody KNEW the world was flat, and at one point everybody KNEW the atom was the smallest thing in the world even fact can be proven wrong.... In my opinion!

Those were both opinions that were found to be wrong.

M

If it is a strong belief then in their opinion it is correct!! Which is what im trying to get accross!!

Well as i say it depends how u look at it!! I say its all repetition and if u look at the parts that are repeated they are often just noise which has no musical structure at all!!
> (In reply to Yorkshire_Lad)
>
> Those were both opinions that were found to be wrong.
>
> M

But at the time they were right until they changed them to the world was round etc
scawf vu 28 Feb 2003
> If it is a strong belief then in their opinion it is correct!! Which is what im trying to get accross!!
>
> Well as i say it depends how u look at it!! I say its all repetition and if u look at the parts that are repeated they are often just noise which has no musical structure at all!!

Unlike heavy metal eh!

FunkyNick 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Yorkshire_Lad: Have been reading with interest your obsession with the fact that dance music is not in fact music...

But I am just wondering when you think it stops being dance music? Is something like Nine Inch Nails, Ministry (the band, not the club) or KMFDM metal or industrial dance? Or how about the Prodigy? Chemical Brothers? Moby?
In reply to scawf vu:
Er yeh actually have u ever actually listened to the stuff im on about?!!
 FunkyNick 28 Feb 2003
In reply to scawf vu: Was gonna say the same thing...

Have you heard Extreme Noise Terror??
> [...]
>
> But at the time they were right until they changed them to the world was round etc

Are you drunk?

No at the time the world was round, the opinion was that it was flat.

Now with lots of evidence we know that the world is round.

So the opinion that the earth was flat was wrong. It was wrong at the time and it's wrong now.

Of course your opinion will probably be that the earth is a TRIANGLE, but of course you would do because you've been listening to far too much Heavy Metal which in my opinion f*cks up the mind.

And my evidence for that is your posts Yorkshire_laddie.

ta-da,

Mick
In reply to FunkyNick:
Well that depends on ur own personal opinion!! i mean i dont class NIN as dance but prodigy are kindve a crossover thing!!
 FunkyNick 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Yorkshire_Lad: But surely NIN are repetative.. and partly electronic.. omg.. they use sampling as well..
Well excuse me for trying to have a decent conversation but im talking about OPINIONS being correct not them being the same as fact!! can u not simply take somebodies opinion as read i'm not down playin urs y do u feel u have to downplay mine?
In reply to FunkyNick:
Ive only heard like 3 of their songs so im only judging on what ive heard!!
 FunkyNick 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Yorkshire_Lad: Well then.. perhaps it might be that electronic repetitive stuff can be music.. and that just because you don't like dance music doesn't mean it isn't music...
In reply to FunkyNick:
God how hard is it to get a point accross!! It's my opinion it doesnt have to match urs u dont have to start an argument over it because it differs from yours!! It's a F**king OPINION!!
 FunkyNick 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Yorkshire_Lad: Yeah... but surely when that opinion is wrong...

Hehehehe
In reply to FunkyNick:
If thats ur opinion!!
innes 01 Mar 2003

That was all fun. I was watching that Hannibal film while you were arguing. It was horrible, especially the bit about the pigs.

Anyway - you ask how hard it is to get your opinion across.

I think if you're happy with the way you've written your opinions, if you are happy that they have been written clearly enough so that other people can understand them, then that's all you can do. If you feel that people still are not understanding you then either you have not expressed yourself properly, or you are not understanding them.

There was some stuff going on about the difference between opinion and fact which I don't think you were really listening to. Of course it is a FACT that your opinion is that dance is not music. That doesn't mean it is a fact that dance is not music.

On a bit more of a ramble, which seems to be what I have been doing this evening.....

Michael Kamen - wasn't he musical arranger on The Final Cut (Roger waters/pink floyd)? I didn't know he was into Metallica as well. I guess every genre (no matter how unpromising) has its examples of fine music.

innes 01 Mar 2003

Those Apple people - they know how to make stuff desirable. iPod, urrrrgggg I want one.
Long Range Sniper 01 Mar 2003
In reply to ian:
Ive got all the Fabric releases mate. All top notch in my opinion. James Lavelles Global Underground mix is f*cking ace. play it loud brother....
Long Range Sniper 01 Mar 2003
Dance music is like all music. The cutting edge remains dynamic, cool, fresh and interesting. once anything which looks like it will make a major record label any green it is simply watered down and regurgitated by a music producer who then thrusts it into the charts. You cant generalise this music. Nor can you generalise rock music. The spectrum is too wide. Anyone who dismisses dance music without listening to what is out there is ignorant.
Open your mind

ian 01 Mar 2003
In reply to Long Range Sniper:
i got the james lavelle global underground. yes is totaly cool. and whilst on the subject of rock and dance music. has anybody heard the collabaration between unkle (james lavelle is one half of unkle) and queens of the stone age.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...