UKC

Which Hard Shell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wi11 02 Dec 2009
I was wondering if people could help point me in the direction of a good hard shell, my main constraint being cost giving me a budjet of about £150 so far I have found the ME Prolite, Berghaus Axis and MH Terra jackets all within this price bracket, so I was hoping hat people could give me their views on these jackets and point me in the direction of others that may be suitable. I terms of use I will be looking to use it for year round activites climbing and walking as well as skiing.

Thanks

Will
OP wi11 02 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11: anyone?
 beh 02 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11: What size are you? Looking at RRP is quite limiting, perhaps something to be found on offer.
OP wi11 02 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11:u'm a medium, and the jackets I've listed above are all on offer with rrp between 180 and 260
 iccy 02 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11:

I'd have a look at the Rab Latok Alpine. I've recently bought one after hearing nothing but good reviews from friends who have had them for while. If you have a look round you can get them for ~£170.
 monkeys 03 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11:
Got a Kongur, red, Medium for sale at £180 if its of interest to you (RRP £280, although retails as cheap as £240 sometimes). Brand new unused, and a bit too big for me. I'm assured by the staff at Tiso and Go Outdoors that the Kongur is far far tougher than it looks (50 out of 50 in Trail magazine tests, and the only ever bit of kit to achieve that !).
 Luuuke 09 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11: I swear by any ME kit! Its just really well made and well designed! I have a changabang and love it! But when come to replace ill get a kongur i think. My friends jackets of equivalent age and price just dont seem to be as good.
 Only a hill 09 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11:
I got a good deal on a ME Morpheus jacket recently. Rate it very highly.
 uncontrollable 09 Dec 2009

> ME kit! Its just really well made and well designed!

I had a Ogre from ME, design was good except the waist drawcord was a pain when wearing a rucksack and lots of condensation in the pockets. My real grieve is that the zips started to fail after 1 1/2 years (narrow zips from the pockets first, than the pulley from the main zip). Meaning, even though the material of the coat was still in excellent condition, the coat wasn't usable.
Tried to contact ME (2 times) about it and never even received a reply
have to say my image of the company changed rather radically.
 iksander 09 Dec 2009
In reply to wi11: The OR Mentor was going for £160 at V12 a while back - looks great, anything with pitzips is a good idea in this country
 antoniusblock 09 Dec 2009
search for karakoram jacket on google. its the mountain equipment karakoram jacket. theres a website selling the 2007 models for £95.
In reply to wi11: Hi wi11, on that budget look at Cotswold's online store...they often have big reductions so you could pick up a £200+ jacket for £150. All the best mate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...