UKC

Kinder Downfall - latest!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 22 Dec 2009
Afternoon all
The approach road in Hayfield is well packed snow and I'd recommend bunging a spade in the boot if you are headed up that way.
We wandered about 2 thirds up to the downfall and simply knew it'd be in less than ideal nick. The streams around the paths are running fine with no ice build up at the edges at all, if they aren't frozen, the falls won't be either was our thoughts and we shuffled back to the car. There was a fair bit on snow coming down and the ground isn't frozen so it made for hard work walking in it. There is also a big build up on branches, telegraph wires etc (4inches) so I think that indicates little wind. Little cooling wind maybe meaning the air temp too high for fat ice to form yet. T'was a nice walk and got us in the festive mood but being a gritstoner I can't justify scratching my way up the downfall in anything less than ideal conditions. I've waited 25 years so a bit more won't hurt eh. I was first inspired by the black and white photo of the frozen falls in the 'Rock climbing in the Peak district' book that i still have!
<There were still a few parties heading up as we were coming down so maybe a more indepth report to follow>
 Danzig 22 Dec 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: Good walk, eh? As a rough guide-if the resevoir is well frozen, then the Downfall is (usually!) In 'nick. Shame there isn't a webcam to view!
oggi 22 Dec 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
Walked up to Crowden brook this morning and it was 0 degrees at 500m. The streams were running freely and there is about 18 inches of soft fluffy snow. Not cold enough for ice. We have had about 3 more inches in Buxton today so the ground will be well insulated. I think we will need to wait a while for the icefalls in the Peak to come in.

If it keeps snowing then I will get the touring skis out. Well family days until Sunday now so have to hope.

Doug
 JR 22 Dec 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:

Gotta pick the routes guys! Had two great days on Mam Tor and Back Tor. Back Tor was very well frozen today.

Have a look... Will put any pics from today up later...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=128865&id=511049657&l=c3f2c92...
 JR 22 Dec 2009
In reply to oggi:

There's a little bit of skiing to be had from mam tor down to back tor.
OP wilkie14c 22 Dec 2009
In reply to JR:
Yea I read a report <yours?> and had it in the back of my mind but we had a mare on the roads and couldn't see a way into Castleton so didn't want to risk it. We couldn't aford the addional hours from home by getting there via Kinder either.
Well done on Mam Tor mate, a rare classic grabbed indeed!
<Tips hat>
 Eddie1234 22 Dec 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: Also had a walk up today, got just past the falls walking in from Upper Booth, these still had water coming down them but were surprisingly frozen aswell with a good few inches of ice, was a complete white out on the top of the moors so never bothered pushing on to the downfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...