UKC

Rab Sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
niki 23 Dec 2009
Hi guys, need some help.
Has anyone used Rab Expedition Mountain 1000 or Quantum Endurance 800 bags? A friend of mine goes on expedition this summer and I'm helping him buy some gear(his English is quite poor). I recommended him Rab as a manufacturer, because I have some Rab gear and love it, but never had such heavy bags. We can't get the chance to see the bags, so we're leading only on manufacturer's description. So has anyone used one of them and what are your impressions? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.
 galpinos 23 Dec 2009
In reply to niki:

What does he want to use them them for? Altitude and temperatures?
 Steve Perry 23 Dec 2009
In reply to niki: I've used a Rab Quantum Endurance 600 and an 800, both are very, very good bags. I haven't used the Rab bags without the pertex endurance outer but after camping out in cold damp conditions as well as dry I would say it's probably worth paying a little extra and getting it, it does keep water out of the down. They've had lots of use and are still in vgc. A friend of mine also has a Quantum 800 which he's used extensively in Patagonia/Atacama and other places, he too loves his. The 800 I found is a little warm for only the coldest of Scottish winter nights but that all depends if your a cold or warm sleeper. Certainly more suited to expedition in colder climes, so up your street. Top notch!
 Andy Saxby 23 Dec 2009
In reply to niki:

Not used the Rab bags you mention in your OP. However for Exped. Bag I would recommend you at least look at PHD. http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/

You can e-mail them your requirements & they will give you there advice & then tailor make the bag for you in about 3 weeks.

Regards
Andy
 Rourke 23 Dec 2009
In reply to Andy Saxby:

Where he is going?

I have used a Rab Summit 900 at 7500m and it has been fine - I am a warm sleeper
shauno 26 Dec 2009
In reply to niki:

Ive got a Rab Quantum Endurance 400 for light weight mild trips but the thing I will say about these bags is they are quiet slim and not much room in them if your a decent sized bloke. My other bag is a Western Mountaineering Antelope with Gore Windstopper outer and these bags are awesome.
 SteveHolmes 26 Dec 2009
In reply to niki:
Hi Niki,
I have a Rab Expedition 1000 bag but I am currently selling it on ebay. Its not that its a bad sleeping bag as it kept me warm at -18 in Nepal. The bag itself is manufactured so you could if you wished wear a down jacket inside the bag, for example, at high camp on Summit day. Because the expedition bag is slightly wider at the top I found when I wore just a base layer to sleep in I got cold spots around my back and had to tuck the bag underneath me. I would imagine that this problem is reduced for a heavier person as they would fill the upper part of the bag and reduce and 'baggy' spots. Another person on the exped had the same bag and had no complaints as I did.
I can only advise to try the bag before you buy it. Actually take the time to get in the bag in the shop, wearing both t-shirt / down jacket etc to see how it fits. For me personnally it kept me warm down to -18 but not without adjusting the way I slept inside it. For me it was too much of a comprimise.
Hope this helps
Steve
niki 29 Dec 2009
In reply to galpinos:
He's going this summer in Caucas- on Mount Elbrus (5642) wich is not that high, but his plans are for the year after to go to Hymalayas so he want to invest in warmer, more serious bag.
niki 29 Dec 2009
In reply to commandoclimber:
As I said in the OP we can't get to see the bags- we're from Eastern Europe so we don't have decent retailers of outdoor companies, plus the prices are at least 30% higher than stuff sold elsewhere. I'll check ebay.
shauno 30 Dec 2009
In reply to niki:

If you want a warm bag that will work in the high mountains and need to buy online get this one. http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Western-Mountaineering-Puma-Gore-WS-...

Can't recommend these enough they are top quality.
Removed User 30 Dec 2009
Buy Polish Cumulus Alaska 1300 Mine cost me £190 I slept in it during -20 C and have too unzip it because it was too worm inside, comfort is -30, and it hold attitude record. If you order in Polish zloty currency its much cheaper then in Euros. http://www.sleepingbags-cumulus.com/ they have as well 1100 version which is good as well, you can even request one with different pertex material.
Žubra 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Rourke:
Hey there,
I read your comment on RAB s.b. I am interested in purchasing RAB900women´s, which should be similar to RAB900. However I can´t find any reviews on this bag. What is your opinion on it?
Thanks
Žubra
Žubra 31 Jan 2010
In reply to Removed UserMorfinel:
Where did you get your Polish Cumulus Alaska 1300?
 Siward 31 Jan 2010
In reply to niki: I have a summit 1100. I only got such a warm bag because I was able to pick it up used and it was the extra long version, which I needed. However it kept me toasty at New Year camping in Scotland (-14c) and, as others have said, a down jacket inside it and it will keep you warm as toast anywhere.
Build quality seems excellent. it is not Sheffield made but I have a Sheffield made Rab bag (too short!) and quality seems comparable.
m0unt41n 31 Jan 2010
In reply to niki: The Rab Expedition 900 or 1100 is now the Polar, a double bag which when you first try it has you wondering where on earth the instruction manual is because of the way its made.
The Rab Summit 1100 is comparable with the Expedition / Polar 1100 but significantly lighter and simpler. Its rated at -30C instead of the Polar at -40C but the difference is pretty irrelevant compared with the sleeping mat, whether you sleep warm etc.
 veteye 01 Feb 2010
In reply to niki:
I have a Rab bag which I used on Denali.(I cannot remember which one,but it is supposed to be good enough for 8000m peaks).
It was warm enough,but my main gripe was that in cross section it was made of two u-shaped bags,one inside the other.Every time I moved camp, and stuffed the bag away, the inner bag came out.Consequently every time the bag was used in the tent again I had to use my feet to push the inner bag back in again.This became tedious.
 jongupta 01 Feb 2010
In reply to niki:

Hi I have the Rab 900 - and think its amazing. rated to - 24 i think and ive never been cold. Had -21 inside my tent on Aconagua and i was toasty.

I rate Rab down gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...