UKC

Almscliff Bouldering - Worth it today?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlistairB 27 Dec 2009
I was wondering if anyone has been up to Almscliff recently and could tell me if it's worth a visit for bouldering today? Since I'd be getting the train from Keighley and that's a fair amount of effort I'd like to know if I'm going to spend all day showering in meltw*ter or not. Looking to climb primarily in the font 6c - 7a (+ if I feel lucky!) range, have my eye on stuff like Dolphin Belly Slap and Crucifix Traverse, I was thinking that they might be relativley dry with being steep and well below the top.

Otherwise I was thinking maybe the steep side of the calf at Ilkley?

Any input much appreciated.
OP AlistairB 27 Dec 2009
In reply to AlistairB: Based on the lack of responses and looking out my window, feck it, I'm going to the Depot.
 sutty 27 Dec 2009
In reply to AlistairB:

LOL, was just going to say forget it as spitting rain, been raining and there will be lots of seepage from the snow left in the cracks thawing.

Not a good grit day for bouldering I should think.
welcomevampire 27 Dec 2009
In reply to AlistairB: The steep face of the calf at Ilkley is dry.
 Nige M 27 Dec 2009
In reply to AlistairB: Only just seen this but Almscliff was pretty good this weekend all things considered.

All problems on DWR area dry EXCEPT DBS which was wet due to run off on the arete. Crucifix Traverse also dry. Lots of other things climbable besides these.
OP AlistairB 28 Dec 2009
In reply to AlistairB: Sweet, thanks for the input guys, I'll give it a go later this week baring any sudden downpours. Yeah, I had a feeling the steep face of the calf would be dry, it's just that eliminate problems aren't really my bag and I'm too much of a punter to climb the "proper" ones since they're all 7B or harder from what I remember. Family is moving to Ilkley in January though so I'm sure I'll have time to beat some of the classics on that wall into submission over Easter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...