UKC

NEWS: Snowdon Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Dec 2009
[cover, 3 kb]Here are some photos of Snowdon, North Wales, taken this morning and some safety advice for winter hill walkers.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51080
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 31 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: Hi Mick, Your photo captioned trinity gullys doesn't actually show the trinity gullies. Instead it is the face to the left. i think three cave route goes up there somewhere.
Anglesey Pete 31 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: Pretty much daily updates from one of North Wales most enthusiastic activists!

http://wwwbaggy.blogspot.com/
 Michael Ryan 31 Dec 2009

Cheers Mark and Pete.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 31 Dec 2009
 TobyA 31 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: Mick: "If conditions are wintery, take crampons and an ice axe, goggles, a map and compass"

Goggles? Pah! Googles are for wusses. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3bhSo6922y4/Szvtl8pC3_I/AAAAAAAACA8/y9TdvJPnxRs/s... (Y Gribin on Tuesday)
 perfectvirus 01 Jan 2010
 Sl@te Head 01 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8437103.stm

Anyone know the real story behind this news item?
 tobykeep 01 Jan 2010
In reply to Sl@te Head:

think that's pretty accurate actually!
 Elfyn Jones 01 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Hi Folks
Just come in from a rescue/search for fallen walkers on W side of Snowdon about an hour ago. There is is considerable windslab possibility on west and south facing aspects. There is quite a bit of wind blown and redeposited snow, and was still snowing heavily at 8pm above 2000ft. We dug some pits in deep snow at 2700 ft just south of the Snowdon Ranger path, and found a depth of some 18 inches of windslab above a frozen layer, with a layer of graupel or unconsolidated crystals below that. On testing the block sheared with very little pressure, just some light hand pressure.

I guess this means that in particular many grade 1 or 2 gullies in Snowdonia could have some real avalanche risks. Also remember that just because a gully generally does not have this aspect, there could be elements or side walls of the gully that still accumulate redeposited snow.

Have fun but play safe!

Phil Benbow 03 Jan 2010
In reply to Mark Reeves:
Hi Mark it is three pitch gully you are thinking of,
three cave is in cwm glas
 Tom Hutton 04 Jan 2010
In reply to elfyn:
Went into Cwm Cneifion on Sunday and it looked to me that all the W/NW facing stuff was pretty loaded at the top with a strong wind blowing over Y Gribin. Was pleased that there didn't seem to be anyone on any of them. Hidden Gully was in superb nick though.
 brieflyback 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Tom Hutton:

Might be worth starting a new thread to highlight the latest warnings, in case people think that the first post and photos actually relate to 'this morning', as opposed to last Thursday.
 Michael Ryan 04 Jan 2010
 gareth higgins 04 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:
no point in advising people to take crampons,ice axe,etc if the have no experience in using them.experienced mountaineers will carry them and know how to use them.the message is confusing making inexperienced or novices think they will be safe if they carry ice axes crampons.people dont have access to warnings,unless they have access to climbing forums and warnings on tv.even if you put signs up they wouldnt read them.there were people in trainers and normal clothing on the pyg track on saturday carrying carrier bags.i even saw a walker with ice axe and mountain clothing sliding down the pyf track on his backside narrowly missing a group of walkers walking up.absolute stupidity.im sure they think that snow and conditions on the hills are like the snow and weather in their garden.you cant stop them.if they are stupid,let them kill themselves.unfortunately rescue teams and rescue helicopters have to go and save them.im sure if they had to pay for the rescue they would think twice before going out..i think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...