UKC

Tremadog guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 01 Jan 2010
So is the new guide for my favourite area going to appear in 2010?

And will it have:

* stars
* a graded list

And some grade changes too just to stir things up a little?
 Mike Raine 01 Jan 2010
In reply to JonC:

we're hoping to launch it at this year Tremadog Festival, everything is on track at the moment. Yes it will have stars and graded lists
OP Skyfall 01 Jan 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:

Thanks for the update.
 mr mills 01 Jan 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:

I thought the idea of not giving routes stars was to spread out the climbing onto routes which are good but not given stars !

This eliviates pressures on routes which are given stars thus cleaning up the more esoteric routes which otherwise wont get any traffic.

Some of the popular routes at Tremadog (especially Bwlch Y Moch)are already showing signs of polish.

mills.
In reply to mr mills:

I think what actually happens at Tremadog is that most people only climb the routes they know are definitely good (either because they've heard about them, or that get a great write up in the guide) and as a result the traffic actually gets more concentrated on fewer routes and lots of 1 star routes have disappeared into the undergrowth. I've certainly encountered my fair share of plant matter on perfectly good routes there.
 ark05 02 Jan 2010
yea i dont think polish is much of a problem at trem... not like sand stone... problem is the less popular routes get overgrown. have climbed and cleaned some great routes at trem fest that have been forgotten.
 ark05 02 Jan 2010
limestone*
 Rog Wilko 02 Jan 2010
In reply to victim of mathematics: change the star system so that every reasonably worthwhile route gets at least one star. Then no-star routes would attract only those who had done everything else and many more routes would be routinely climbed.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Jan 2010
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> (In reply to victim of mathematics) change the star system so that every reasonably worthwhile route gets at least one star. Then no-star routes would attract only those who had done everything else and many more routes would be routinely climbed.

Which is what some of us have been doing for years!

Chris

OP Skyfall 02 Jan 2010
In reply to victim of mathematics:

> I think what actually happens at Tremadog is that most people only climb the routes they know are definitely good (either because they've heard about them, or that get a great write up in the guide) and as a result the traffic actually gets more concentrated on fewer routes

This is exactly what happenes, and was compounded by the existing guide being so bad at getting to you to the base of a route (so again everyone just climbed 1SITC etc).
In reply to mr mills:

This was discussed heavily on this site back in 2001.

Article here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=17

Alan
 mr mills 02 Jan 2010
In reply to adamki:

Have you done Vector lately !

As stated on the other post, BMC volunteers such as yourself have done a lot of gardening work on Bwlch Y Moch and opened up some realy nice forgotten/lost routes, also the tree surgeon has cut down/trimed many of the Sychamores which obscured the bottom of many routes.

I think the new guidebook will be better than the last one, with better descriptions of approach and of the routes themselves !

I would be in favour of some kind of markers at the botom of each buttress as I know that finding the buttress can be a bit of an epic at times.
 martin heywood 03 Jan 2010
In reply to JonC:
> So is the new guide for my favourite area going to appear in 2010?
>
> And will it have:
>
> * stars
> * a graded list
>
> And some grade changes too just to stir things up a little?

Like the guide before last you mean?
The one that also included Cwym Silyn?
Let's hope so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...