UKC

Tiger of the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Bantam 04 Jan 2010
Over the festive period, during the inevitable 'General Knowledge' quiz, the lone mountain question was "What mountain is known as the TIger of the Alps?". I had no idea. I am an avid reader of mountianeering history, but had never heard of this before. I guessed, correctly, the Matterhorn (on the grounds it had to be something famous to be in a general knowledge quiz) - but a quick google only shows quizes with the above question in?!

Anyone know more on this 'nickname'? Or is it just a self-fulfilling bit of quiz 'trivia'?
In reply to The Bantam: Because it is elusive, sharp and kills people?
OP The Bantam 04 Jan 2010
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

...as do countless things. And baring in mind it has a ridge named after another big cat...
 Duncan I 04 Jan 2010
In reply to The Bantam:

Did you mis-hear? May be it was a Yorkshireman asking which mountain was 't'Eiger of the Alps?' - in which case the answer wouldn't have been the Matterhorn. Hmm.
OP The Bantam 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Duncan I:

Haha - being from God's County myself I would have spotted that! T'was a Southerner.
 victorclimber 04 Jan 2010
In reply to The Bantam: could it have been The Tiger of the Alps,,with Mountaineer in front,not Mountain,that would make sense
jackcarr 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Duncan I:
> (In reply to The Bantam)
>
> Did you mis-hear? May be it was a Yorkshireman asking which mountain was 't'Eiger of the Alps?' - in which case the answer wouldn't have been the Matterhorn. Hmm.

Hahaha. I almost spat out my milk when I read that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...