UKC

Winter Conditions in Ireland? Any ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom G 11 Jan 2010
So any Irish routes in condition? Saw some potential in the last few days but still nothing worth climbing yet!
I know one group went on Carrot Ridge but didn't hear how they got on yet...
Anyone?

Anyone have any pictures?
 Darragh 11 Jan 2010
Loads, especially in Kerry, which has had the best conditions in living memory (though I gather there's a fairly high avalanche risk just now). I was stomping around hills in Connemara last week and wished I had skis. (Now back in Brum - more's the pity) There's much less consolidated snow and ice there than in Kerry, but potential high up on north facing slopes, on Mwealrea and Maumtrasna, which are a bit more inland and also give good seepage.

Just check the recent forums on Climbing.ie:
http://forum.climbing.ie/index.php?board=12.0
 Frank4short 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Tom G: Where have you been, living under a well insulated rock? There is absolutely bucket loads. These are the best conditions in living memory in most places. Everywhere is in or at least was until yesterday. Check out the forum on climbing.ie for info on what's getting done. Plus I suspect that only accounts for at most maybe of half of the activity going on.
OP Tom G 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Tom G) Where have you been, living under a well insulated rock?

I've been working in a busy A&E dept for the last 2 weekends and most evenings so have been unable to get out into the hills. Have first weekend off in 3 weeks so here's hoping

The rock IS well insulated though!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...