UKC

Crampons for small feet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RachaelH 11 Jan 2010
I have small feet ( size 4) and have struggled to get a pair of crampons to fit my boots. It's possible to shorten many models by using a shorter bar, the main problem is that the actual footprint of the crampon is too broad, making my boots slide around on the crampon even when tightened up.

Anyone had similar problems/any suggestions for crampons to try out- thinking of technical cramps for ice/mixed climbing really.

cheers
Rachael
seaofdreams 11 Jan 2010
In reply to RachaelH:

BD Cyborg fits my partners boots and shes size 2.5!!

what boots are you wearing?
skarabrae 11 Jan 2010
In reply to RachaelH: hi there, my girlfriend has size 4 feet, she uses my old grivel G12 crampons, i just had to make the joining bar shorter by cutting a bit off with a hacksaw. the bar has all the adjusting holes to go down for even smaller feet, you just have to cut a peice off where it sticks out the back of the crampon.

davey.
In reply to RachaelH:
My feet are a bit bigger (6.5). I ended up hacksawing the bar to make it fit length wise. Before I did this there was a bar protruding from the back of the crampon.
The crampons are dmm aiguille. They might be a bit narrower. The toe box points out over the front a bit too.
Paul F 11 Jan 2010
In reply to RachaelH:

What kind of binding system are you using?
Forget Grivel(for length) BTW unless you're handy with a hacksaw.
OP RachaelH 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Paul F:

I have had a pair of Grivel G12s and a pair of Cyborgs both with the metal bar thing ( don't know what it's called!) at the front- neither of these cramps seem to work- I can shorten them fine but there is still a lot of sliding around and on the Cyborgs in particular, the front points are miles off the front of my boot.

I have a pair of Nepal Extremes and La Sportiva Trango Extremes- boots fit fine
skarabrae 11 Jan 2010
In reply to RachaelH: i have the same boots & same crampons, you may need to get a different bar (the bar that joins the front section of crampon to the heel section) ahh yes, the centre bar!! as there`s asymetrical bar & a asymetrical bar & i cant remember which one you`ll need for your boots (only £10 for pair of bars) & this will align the points correctly.

davey.
skarabrae 11 Jan 2010
In reply to davey_briggs: sorry that should say ;- symetrical bar & an asymetrical bar.

davey
 Jaffacake 11 Jan 2010
In reply to RachaelH:

I'm size 5 and have grivel g12s that the shop kindly took a saw to for me to shorten the bar, used them on SM lites and Nepal Extremes without problems.

When I borrowed a pair of g12s (without the bar chopped in half) I couldn't get them to fit, nor could the instructor of the course I was on and I ended up swapping with him!
OP RachaelH 11 Jan 2010
In reply to davey_briggs

cheers, will give it a try!
Paul F 11 Jan 2010
In reply to RachaelH:
> (In reply to Paul F)
>
> and a pair of Cyborgs both with the metal bar thing ( don't know what it's called!) at the front- neither of these cramps seem to work- I can shorten them fine but there is still a lot of sliding around and on the Cyborgs in particular, the front points are miles off the front of my boot.

The front bail should have diferent holes at the front to get you toes more over the front points. Have you tried adjusting this?
seaofdreams 11 Jan 2010
In reply to RachaelH:

sounds to me like something is set up wrong. It could be either or both the length or shape of the bar however without seeing the boot and the crampon i think we will all be clutching at straws.....

if the crampon is "wobbling" side to side it would suggest to me that its not on snug enough. but i would assume that you have tried that already.

If you have climbed XI should you not have this sorted by now!
seaofdreams 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Paul F:

beet me too it
 kathrync 11 Jan 2010
In reply to seaofdreams:
> (In reply to RachaelH)
>
> BD Cyborg fits my partners boots and shes size 2.5!!
>
> what boots are you wearing?

I am the partner in question I currently use Petzl Vasak crampons, and before that I was using Petzl Sarkens. They both fit fine, although I had to take a hack saw to the bars to stop them sticking out the back.

As Sea said, I have also successfully had Cyborgs on my boots, although I couldn't tell you how they were set up.

My feet measure at 2.5 and my winter boots are around European 36 or maybe 37 (3-4ish). The are La Sportival Nepal Evo Gtx, the green ladies version if that is any help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...