UKC

OI NEWS: Opening July 2010: Reading Climbing Centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Jan 2010
[John Dunne inside future Reading Climbing Centre, 2 kb]Reading Climbing Centre is being developed by John Dunne, the man behind Manchester Climbing Centre and the new Harrogate Climbing Centre (that opens this month). John is well-known for his first ascents of many modern grit classics including New Statesman at Ilkley and Widdop Wall.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2389
 brieflyback 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Long-awaited! Unfortunately about six years too late for me...but I'd be surprised if this wasn't going to be a busy and very successful venue.
 DreadyCraig 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
At long last! The last thing I heard this had fallen at the final hurdle, glad it's still going ahead.
 Monk 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Excellent - at last there is a public face to back the rumours up. And it is a relief to know that there is someone with experience behind it too, rather than a sports centre-type set up. I really hope this works out.
 brieflyback 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Out of interest, where exactly is the building?
 Monk 12 Jan 2010
In reply to Martin76:

In an industrial estate just off Elgar road.
 John2 12 Jan 2010
In reply to Monk: Good sized building, but where can people park?
 rousse 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Fantastic news, had almost given up hope!
 brieflyback 12 Jan 2010
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to Martin76)
>
> In an industrial estate just off Elgar road.

5 mins walk from my old place. Grrrr...

Good location though, handy for the uni campus and the main roads.
In reply to UKC Gear:
Excellent news. A decent wall within reach of maidenhead....where do I sign?
 JPGR 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Things are definitely hotting up the wall front down south.

University of Surrey apparently open theirs in April. Is nice to have a bit of choice.

Means a choice of possibly 4 good walls within 40 min of me. Makes up with the nearest decent rock being 2 hours away.
 EscapeArtist 13 Jan 2010
This is SUCH good news, I live in Maidenhead, so all I can say is... Where do I get my annual pass from!?

Can't wait for this to open, very excited for the website to go up and some pics and design plans to get uploaded!

Think if I ask nicely they will let me live there?
 Chris Sansum 13 Jan 2010
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Monk) Good sized building, but where can people park?

Some info about parking is in the planning application here:

http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/Committee_Services/Planning_Application...

Sounds like they have access to a maximum of about 88 spaces.
 dimwit18 13 Jan 2010
excellent cant wait for it to open, from bracknell will be much easier to access than westway, and hopefully more parking than the 10 spaces at guidlford craggy
 Chris Sansum 13 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Particularly interesting to Reading locals is that it looks like you will get a 'Your Reading Passport' discount to use the wall (like you can get at council-run leisure facilities). It would be good if this means not having to pay £8.50 a session like Craggy.
 EscapeArtist 14 Jan 2010
In reply to dimwit18:
Have to get that Ankle fixed up first Dimwit!
 simoncov 14 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
Fantastic news! This will be a great success, plenty of ppl climbing at Craggy come from Reading. Members in the Reading Mountaineering Club (http://www.readingmountaineeringclub.org.uk/indoor.htm ) are really excited about this.
 Tom Woolgar 14 Jan 2010
Excellent news! At last berkshire will have something vertical to climb up, should give craggy island a run for their money. Lets hope they change the routes more often, craggy's recent routes have been up for nearly 2 months!

(sussexclimber should be berkshire climber 4 years and counting . . .)
 dunky 18 Jan 2010
In reply to simoncov:

Wooooooooooo! yes very!
FreshAL 19 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

woo hoo! walking distance fom my house too!
Tomska 27 Jan 2010
OMFG!!!! At last!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was dead in the water & I'd given up all hope.

Woohoo!!!

I've had to give up climbing because I need to work at the weekends till the summer and Craggy is too far to manage on a weeknight. 3 months without a climb so far & I'm getting out of shape. This is a 10 minute jog from my house!

Fecking yay!

Has anyone any experience of Manchester & Harrogate then? Can we expect great things? TBH anything with 100 topropes and a load of bouldering is going to be a marked improvement on sod all, which is what we currently have...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...