UKC

Mountain Marathon Trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 13 Jan 2010
Hello fellow mountain runners/walkers/plodders,

I've juut entered my first MM (Saunders) and will hopefully be entering the RAB soon.
My question to you is this:- It says I need leg coverings. I think I'll be running in shorts. What do you recommend? Nothing ridiculously pricey.

Cheers,

MAtt
 jfw 13 Jan 2010
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

some thickness of tights depending on time of year/forecast temp eg ronhills, powerstretch etc (decathlon will do some if you have a store near you)

PLUS

waterproof pants

OMM ones look nice (don't rustle) but are pricy

innov8 do lightweight running waterproofs which don't break the bank

SFM 13 Jan 2010

Given half the chance I prefer to run in shorts but if it's cold then wear running leggings. Ronhills probably the most versatile things that come to mind.
I do also tend to carry Montane featherlite trousers too though. Even just with shorts they make a huge difference to warmth levels. Not sure about Rab or Saunders but they are sufficent for the LAMM kit regs.
 probablylost 13 Jan 2010
 galpinos 13 Jan 2010
In reply to SFM:

Saunders is waterproof with taped seams, don't think the featherlites are waterproof are they?

For tights, I've ended up with some Nike ones. They're a powerstretch type material and are so comfy to run in it's untrue. They are warm though so only come out when it's baltic to run in, they are cozy if it's a chilly mid-camp though.

I've got a pair of the OMM kamea-somethings as waterproof, due to getting them cheap and the fact you can actually run in them. They're not the mpst waterproof though.
 SFM 13 Jan 2010
In reply to galpinos:

Ah right. The Featherlights won't do then as just showerproof.

If I had to get waterproof trousers to run in then would probably get the Kamleikas too. I hear they're about as breathable as a tesco carrier bag though!
In reply to galpinos:
> Saunders is waterproof with taped seams, don't think the featherlites are waterproof are they?

I think the Montane's are windproof, not waterproof. I need to sort out some waterproof trousers for the Edale Skyline race, even if I'm not going to wear them

> I've got a pair of the OMM kamea-somethings as waterproof, due to getting them cheap and the fact you can actually run in them. They're not the mpst waterproof though.

Really? That's rather disappointing I was planning on getting a pair, because I thought they were the only proper waterproof trousers that you can actually run in.
 galpinos 13 Jan 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
> (
> Really? That's rather disappointing I was planning on getting a pair, because I thought they were the only proper waterproof trousers that you can actually run in.

I've got the old ones, hence I got them cheap. The new fabric (it has changed) might be better. They probably are waterproof and instead, as SFM mentions above, they're maybe not breathable. When I've actually run in them, it's been in the OMM 2008 when the weather was horrendous - I just wore them with just underpants underneath as I didn't want to get my leggings wet and was warm enough and damp, hard to tell with bare skin) and on training runs when I've felt damp at the end of the run.

They do the job, are comfy to run in and mostly get worn at the mid-camp in order to keep warm. I'm a pretty sweaty runner so any trousers will struggle with me in them so don't let my opinion put you off, ask other people who've got them!

(I missed out on the Edale Skyline, gutted, it fills up really quickly)
ice.solo 13 Jan 2010

get the lightest tights you can find but make sure you can get em above your knees if it gets warm.

my friend used the inov-8 pants in a japanese MM and said they were the worst pants hes ever had. no zips, super sweaty.

i use MHW conduit silk (epics i think) and theyre ok.

those who wear the haglofs seem happier (maybe because theyre wealthier for one thing).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...