UKC

Eco (Green) Climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Xodust89 14 Jan 2010
I've noticed a lot of talk about being green in the world of climbing. Everything has been talked about from how green our gear is to how green we're being while out climbing on the crag.

I personally feel this is a good direction to be going in as it helps to look after the environment we all enjoy every weekend, however a lot of my buddies couldn’t really care.

I’m interested in how the rest of you feel about all this?

Do you feel new 'eco friendly' gear costs more?

Do you go out your way to buy ‘green’ gear? (Even if it does cost more?)

Any tips for being greener out on the crag?

Dave
 toad 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Xodust89: Gear cost /design/ materials are academic. It's about how we travel, where we travel, and how often we travel
 Michael Ryan 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Xodust89:

A good article here at UKC

Environmentalism and Climbing: An Uneasy Partnership
by Es Tresidder Aug/2009
This article has been read 6,129 times

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2038

Huge forum discussion here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=368652
AGGIS 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Xodust89:
Agree with Toad, its about the way you travel more than gear.
Always try and buy gear made in the UK if i can, but thats to support uk buisnesses more than to be eco friendly.
 Dan J M 15 Jan 2010
In reply to Xodust89:

My sceptisism on the subject of global climate change forbids me to respond to this post in a constructive manner
In reply to Dan J M: Seconded
 tony 15 Jan 2010
In reply to Dan J M:
> (In reply to Xodust89)
>
> My sceptisism on the subject of global climate change forbids me to respond to this post in a constructive manner

There's more to the issue than climate change.

We should also be concerned about resource use - where do the raw materials for our gear come from, how are they extracted from the ground/grown/harvested/replenished/reused? What's the impact of the way the gear is manufactured - are harmful chemicals used, and if so, are they treated properly before disposal?

Getting hung up on climate change, whether you accept that it's happening or not, is only part of the story.

Dan J M 15 Jan 2010
In reply to tony:

No arguments from me there, tony. I couldn't agree more.
 BelleVedere 15 Jan 2010
In reply to Dan J M:
> (In reply to Xodust89)
>
> My sceptisism on the subject of global climate change forbids me to respond to this post in a constructive manner

I have always found this bit weird - that people who don't believe in climate change use this as an excuse for not caring about any other part of the environment.

It's maybe a bit hard for some people to believe in thing happening on a global scale that they can't see - but thats not an excuse for dropping litter, pouring oil into rivers or ripping out rare plants.

or maybe it is (the human mind is a weird thing)
 tony 15 Jan 2010
In reply to Dan J M:

So, taking away the issue of climate change, have you got any useful contributions to make?

Apologies to the OP, because I didn't really answer his questions.

I try to reduce my overall impact on the environment, by trying to reduce my use of resources. So, for all my male love of shiny things and new toys, I try to resist the temptation to buy new stuff. I have enough rucksacks and shoes and clothing and gear - I don't need anything new, regardless of how nice new things hanging up in the shops.

With all that in mind, the issue of paying a bit more for eco-gear doesn't raise its head very often. When it does, I am happy to pay more, within reason.

I also find it increasingly difficult to justify driving miles and miles and miles for an hour or so of personal gratification - I'm not so keen that a 200-mile round trip to a hill or a crag can be justified, so I don't do it. I have done it in the past, but shifting priorities have changed the way I think about these things.
 Dan J M 15 Jan 2010
In reply to tony:

Sorry my first post was abrupt, and also a little tongue in cheek. And in fairness climate change wasn't the subject of the OP.

I like to think I can leave very litte trace of my presence when I go outdoors. It seems like common sense to me.

Day to day I recycle, I lift-share, I don't waste water or electricity or gas.

However, and you may consider this contradictory depending on what significance you place on carbon footprints, I will drive fair distances to pursue my passions. I would make no apology for that.

When it comes to climbing gear, my turnover rate is low. When I need something I buy the best I can at the best price. Simple as.

malky_c 15 Jan 2010
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to Dan J M)
> [...]
>
> There's more to the issue than climate change.
>
> We should also be concerned about resource use - where do the raw materials for our gear come from, how are they extracted from the ground/grown/harvested/replenished/reused? What's the impact of the way the gear is manufactured - are harmful chemicals used, and if so, are they treated properly before disposal?
>
> Getting hung up on climate change, whether you accept that it's happening or not, is only part of the story.

What he said! I think some people can get so caught up in carbon footprints etc that they tend to completely forget about other issues.
 Mike Peacock 15 Jan 2010
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Xodust89) Gear cost /design/ materials are academic. It's about how we travel, where we travel, and how often we travel

Indeed. I've been using public transport to access the mountains for the last five and a half years, and in that time have only seen a fraction of walkers/climbers/scramblers/boulderers/mountaineers ever use buses or trains.

Not that I can blame them...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...