UKC

New Zealand Feb - Mar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arbu 16 Jan 2010
Going to be in New Zealand from 26th Feb to 24th March. I gather a lot of the mountains are getting a bit crevassed by this time, but Aspiring may be good from the west side. Anyone else going to be there and interested in joining up?
Ruahine Tramper 18 Jan 2010
In reply to Arbu: Unfortunately I am not going back this year. I think that late in the season most snow routes are out of condition but there are rock routes and some mixed ridges that should be doable if you can access them.

I climbed the NW ridge of Aspiring a few years ago in early Feb, however it should be possible later. I would recommend doing the entire ridge from Colin Todd Hut (via Shipowner Ridge) as it avoids the climbing on the Ramp and I think its a bit more interesting.

The West ridge of Aspiring (which is what I think you are referring to) is a rock route and apparently quite pleasant. I have not climbed this, but remember you will have to cross two glaciers to get to it. This may not be a problem but others with more experience of Aspiring will know more about this route and how easy it is to access. You could always email/ring the Aspiring guides in Wanaka and ask what conditions are like.

I have often thought of climbing the West ridge of Malte Brun (in Mt Cook National Park) which could be a goer that late in the season although you may have to access the ridge a bit lower than normal if the glacier is crevassed. Friends of mine have climbed that in early April. Supposedly a classic rock route, not too difficult and with an fun "Cheval" section.

Another option is to head further south to the Darrans in Fiordland and climb on some granite! Awesome country in there and objectives like the North ridge of Sabre would certainly be doable that time of year.

You could try posting for partners on
http://www.mountainz.co.nz/

Good luck!

Jono
OP Arbu 21 Jan 2010
In reply to Ruahine Tramper: Thanks Jono. Actually the NW ridge of Aspiring is what I meant and in fact I got the idea from a post I already made on mountainz.co.nz. I think I'll head for Wanaka and see if I can find anyone to climb with - if not I'll look to go hiking over the Cascade Saddle instead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...