UKC

Westway - Self belays?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevez 17 Jan 2010
Does Westway have self belaying devices? If so what sort of grade routes are they on?
 stewieatb 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez: Nothing on the website. If they did, they would probs be redpoint devices, which were recalled a few months back. So unlikely.
 tommyzero 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez: I remember a thread where one failed and a climber got injured. I don't think there was any conclusion/understanding reached but I am pretty sure they were removed.
Mazza 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez:
They used to, but someone got injured so they took them away.
 phildavies84 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez: deffinatly none of them there at the moment.
 k_os 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez: the biggest distributor of autobelays issued a stop notice as a result, so id be surprised if any uk walls are using them
Chris Ellyatt 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez:

Yeah Westway can be really funny about belaying, so I doubt it. I remember telling my friend who was leading once that he had accidentally back-clipped, because he had been climbing all day and was really tired. Next thing I know, a couple of instructors come out of nowhere telling him he is not experienced enough to lead, and asking what qualifications he has! Absolutely insane...

Chris
 stewieatb 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Chris Ellyatt: Sounds worse than Kendal. do you mean back clipping or z-clipping?
Chris Ellyatt 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez:

Yeah just back clipping, he definitely didn't Z-clip! I just think it's ridiculous. They're clearly doing it out of insurance concerns or something, but everyone makes mistakes after a full day's climbing.

Chris
In reply to stewieatb:

I think the guys at Kendal wall are pretty chilled.
 stewieatb 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Chris Ellyatt: Bah. One wall I climb at has no instructors, no floorwalkers, just some dude who turns up once in a while from the shop that owns it, checking tickets. I love it. It's sweet up north.
In reply to stewieatb:

Ingleton, per-chance?
 stewieatb 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet: The man knows his stuff people
 cfer 17 Jan 2010
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to Chris Ellyatt) Bah. One wall I climb at has no instructors, no floorwalkers, just some dude who turns up once in a while from the shop that owns it, checking tickets. I love it. It's sweet up north.

My local wall, which is actually one half of the sports hall is like this, If I get there early I also have to drag the mats out as well. No belay check or instructors, just a notice saying use this wall at your own risk

chris_j_s 18 Jan 2010
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to Chris Ellyatt) Bah. One wall I climb at has no instructors, no floorwalkers, just some dude who turns up once in a while from the shop that owns it, checking tickets. I love it. It's sweet up north.

Long may it continue. Ingleton is a great place to train and Alan is a legend!!
Benny 1664 19 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez: To be fair, if someone is too tired to climb at 100% (by your own admission) then I think its time they go home. Thats how accidents happen...
OP stevez 19 Jan 2010
In reply to stevez:

You need to explain that !!
Chris Ellyatt 19 Jan 2010
In reply to Benny 1664:

Ok fair enough I suppose - we did stop climbing after that. But it more the massive overreaction from the staff that I was annoyed about. It made me feel quite unwelcome to be honest, when they started openly criticising us just because of a back-clip.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...