UKC

New Zealand in the winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
XXXX 23 Jan 2010
All,

I'm off to NZ for 6 weeks in July and really want to get some walking and maybe some easy peaks in while I'm at it. So, does anyone with experience of winter in NZ and the great trails in particular have any advice?

Do you need crampons/ice axes? Do we need 4/5 season bags? etc etc. I know that out of season the huts are unmanned and there are talks of avalanche zones in my guidebook on the Milford track. What I really want to know is how much gear/experience will I need?

Also, does anyone have any experience of going up some small peaks? I'd like to get guided up something reasonable (bearing in mind it's winter and the Southern Alps are treacherous) if that's possible. What peaks are there that we could get up ourselves if possible?

Finally, what shouldn't we miss?

BruceM 25 Jan 2010
In reply to Eric the Red:
Hi. I'll start you off...

Arthur's Pass is mid south island and a popular spot for "less serious" mountaineering, which in winter could be likened a bit to Scotland. You can do small peaks, or ridges with just ice axe and crampons, but you need to be pretty good with a map and compass to do anything in NZ really. Especially in winter.

AP includes Mt Rolleston, which in winter is loads of fun. You could get yourself up (the low peak anyway) with excellent snow/ice/navigation techniques and weather forecasts. But Mt Bealy, or Avalanche Peak are good snow/ice walks that will give you good views and a feel for your abilities and the area.

http://www.softrock.co.nz/mg/index.php

There are loads of multiday walks in the area too. Which will get you a million miles from anyone in about 10 minutes.

You often need to carry snow chains or have a 4WD to get into places like this in July. It's not deep snow that's the problem - unless you are unlucky. Just ice. No salt grit in NZ.

Camping or hutting-it is fairly cool, so yes, a good bag is pretty essential. But it is not antarctica. Nor is it quite as cold as Scotland in winter.

Unfortuantely, I don't know about the "Great Walks". Reading this about the milford track:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/southland/te-a...
I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't spent quite a bit of time on easier winter stuff in NZ first. Tramping in NZ in winter requires pretty good survival skills. You don't get that sort of experience in the UK.

Have fun. Be safe.
 KiwiPrincess 25 Jan 2010

Conditions could be anything in July

People ski tour/snowshoe the Milford, The avalanche danger is very real 100 av paths and the road is often closed. The situation can change depending on weather and good information is available from the Road crew who are avalanche experts.

Avalanche net has good snow condition warnings so be prepared to be flexible. last winter had terrible avalanche conditions, and everywhere was High danger for months, so bound to be better?

For peaks and Tracks you will need crampons and ice axe but these can be hired from outdoor stores and Guiding companies in Christchurch, Wanaka, and Q town...possibly other places too. Avalanche gear and some knowledge, and a partner would be useful in the hills.

There are lots of guiding companies around, Winter will be fine for doing peaks if the weather/ conditions are good

There are heaps of peaks well worth doing from small day trips up behind the ski fields( like single cone Remarks, or Ben Lomond above gondola in Queenstown) to Big multi day things like Aspiring etc.
 Tom Last 25 Jan 2010

Make sure you take up the offer to hire chains when you hire the vehicle. For one thing it'll be much cheaper than buying, and even if you don't need them, there will be some roads (eg Milford Road) that you won't be allowed down without them.
 Banned User 77 25 Jan 2010
In reply to Eric the Red: Tappy was a great winters day out, nice quiet area.

http://sarzlogblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/tapuae-o-uenuku-august-2005.html
XXXX 26 Jan 2010

Thanks guys, that's a brilliant start. I've been in touch with a guiding company out there and they won't touch anything but ski-touring in August. I wonder if a weeks skiing in Queenstown will give me the sufficient experience!? Hope so, that would be 'totally rad!'

I have a few Scottish winter climbs under my belt and I've been up a few 4000m Alpine peaks including Mont Blanc. My nav is where it needs to be for pretty much anything but my avalanche awareness is fairly rudimentary. (I can dig a pit and kick it like the best of them.) I'm going with someone who has pretty much no experience of crampons though.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a good multi-day yomp? Iain - that climb looks good, did it require pitching at all?

Tall Clare 26 Jan 2010

He doesn't post much on here but it might be worth dropping AdrianC a line to pick his brains - he guides round there.
Thickhead 26 Jan 2010

Are you going to the North Island? The Tongariro circuit is a good multi day hike and you can do the three major peaks as you like from there, the danger would mainly be from volcanoes rather than ice but crampons/axes needed.

Def avalanche risk on the Milford trail and not sure how you get to/from the start/end as the boats presumably aren't running at that time of year (although don't really know this). The Routeburn is shorter and as spectacular with 2/3day hike over high land (can be done in a single day but would be an epic). Kepler is the alternative, but doesn't go as high, wouldn't involve particularly great mountaineering skills.

There should be plenty of guiding companies around the Queenstown area and if ski-touring is your thing then that is the place to be.

Jealous, I fancy being in my old camper again and going for a run up the Routeburn like in the old days now
 Banned User 77 26 Jan 2010
> (In reply to Eric the Red)
>
> Thanks guys, that's a brilliant start. I've been in touch with a guiding company out there and they won't touch anything but ski-touring in August. I wonder if a weeks skiing in Queenstown will give me the sufficient experience!? Hope so, that would be 'totally rad!'
>
> I have a few Scottish winter climbs under my belt and I've been up a few 4000m Alpine peaks including Mont Blanc. My nav is where it needs to be for pretty much anything but my avalanche awareness is fairly rudimentary. (I can dig a pit and kick it like the best of them.) I'm going with someone who has pretty much no experience of crampons though.
>
> With that in mind, can anyone recommend a good multi-day yomp? Iain - that climb looks good, did it require pitching at all?

No Tappy is almost all grade 1 slopes. Pretty straight forwards. The main issue was the river. You walk up a gorge and literally ford that 80 odd times. We just took trainers and accepted cold feet, but the river was low, at times of heavy rain it would be much harder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...