UKC

HotRock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob15 27 Jan 2010
I'm thinking of doing something like a hotrock expedition this summer, or something similar, has anybody had any experience of going on one?? Is it worth the money e.t.c ?
R
 Skyfall 27 Jan 2010
In reply to Rob15:

isn't the point to do "hot rock" when it's cold here? Like autumn through to spring?

Ok, the summer is normally just wet nowadays so maybe you are right....
OP Rob15 27 Jan 2010
In reply to JonC: Noo idea, i'm just looking into a few possible options for this summer, when I finish A-levels.
Benjii 27 Jan 2010
In reply to Rob15:
I went on Hot Rock From Delhi to Singapore and had the best time of my life! do it! you cant always be sure of the climbing, or where you are gunna sleep but you go from places no-body else has climbed with great people and great parties, to climbing meccas and amazing tourist sites all with out having to be great at organising your own trip. there is usually so many other people on the truck (not bus) at anytime that if you fall out with one person, it wont ruin a whole trip.

So much to say about Hot Rock

http://www.climbhotrock.com/
 Mowglee 27 Jan 2010
In reply to Rob15: I went last summer. Depends what you want out of it; you certainly get to go to some amazing places with a good bunch of people, they do much of the research and paperwork for you. If you just want to crank away 6 days a week on solid rock, perhaps it's not for you - lots of exploration, new routing, getting lost and plenty of choss (goes with the territory). Worth the money? You might do it cheaper on your own, but it would be harder to organise, and you would have a very different trip.

I specifically didn't go with them to south-east asia as I thought I could do that bit on my own with less faff and money, more freedom and more climbing. Tibet and Pakistan would have been more difficult to organise myself.

The South America trip looks wicked. Africa looks a bit dry and dusty to me...

The best thing about it I think is afterwards, you have a new bunch of climbing mates from all corners of the world.
 znewsham 27 Jan 2010
In reply to Rob15:

I am hoping to head out with them From Nairobi to Harare, if you look at the price tag of it, 11 weeks for £1900(ish) plus flights(£700) 11 weeks of climbing for less than £3000, with food and transport included, can't be bad!

You will undoubtadly get some kind of critisism from those "elitest" climbers who consider it beneath them to go on "organised" expeditions....who then sit and do nothing for the summer anyway....I have just learnt to tell them where to stick it!

Just make sure you take the cost of visa into consideration, I emailed Duncan today to find out the cost, the website says to allow £400 for visas for the whole trip, and the section I am looking at goes through about half the countries that require visa's so, who knows what it will cost. But it is another factor, oh, and insurance too.

Zack
 Mowglee 27 Jan 2010
In reply to znewsham:
> (In reply to Rob15)
>
> with food... included...

Read that bit carefully in the T+Cs. Always been an issue; if you want to stay healthy you'll have to supplement 'Hot Rock food' with proper food (i.e. protien) out of your own money.
Benjii 27 Jan 2010
In reply to gareth uglow:

agreed, the food budget could be more, but it would increase the price, just make sure you factor in a little bit extra... or practice eating very fast to be first in the cue for seconds
 znewsham 27 Jan 2010
In reply to Den5: I hadnt realised this would be an issue, that is very interesting, thanks for the heads up! Any recommendations here? Do I take stuff with me (difficult for 11 weeks, unless we are talking pills) does the expedition stop at places regularly to get extras, having not been on something like this before I have very little experience
 Mowglee 28 Jan 2010
In reply to znewsham: Maybe take some multi-vit tablets, nothing else. When packing, take half as much as you think you'll need. It's usually structured so you can restock every now and then, if you need more clothes/soap/shoes/anything-except-climbing-gear, you can buy it out there for much cheaper, support local people a little and not have to carry so much stuff through the airports.
king_of_gibraltar 28 Jan 2010
In reply to gareth uglow:

Just out of curiosity, how does it work? Do they pick people up from airports and drop them off as they travel around? Do they make organised stops to get food/supplies etc?
 Mowglee 28 Jan 2010
In reply to king_of_gibraltar: There's a rough schedule, with designated pick-up and drop-off places for people to leave or join. Usually a few days in a big city every 5-10 weeks. (eg Bangalore - Delhi - Lahore - Kashgar, each with 5-10 weeks between). Food is done day by day depending where they are, sometimes have to stock up for long periods away from supplies.
king_of_gibraltar 28 Jan 2010
In reply to Rob15:

Oh ok, sounds good. Cheers.
 Michael Hood 28 Jan 2010
In reply to Rob15: make sure you take out the relevant BMC insurance - my son was on HotRock in 08/09 and he strained a shoulder which would have prevented him climbing over the remaining month.

The insurance dealt with it very smoothly, flew him back pretty quickly and even "refunded" the portion of the HotRock fee relating to the bit he didn't do - BMC insurance was money well spent.

With regards to "extra" food, most of the places HotRock visits (maybe all) have a lower cost of living than here so it shouldn't cost too much to supplement.

Oh - one other thing - do not send your mother a text on a Saturday evening that asks "what time is high tide in Vietnam?" (or similar) without giving any further details!!!
 znewsham 28 Jan 2010
In reply to Michael Hood:
> Oh - one other thing - do not send your mother a text on a Saturday evening that asks "what time is high tide in Vietnam?" (or similar) without giving any further details!!!

LOL, oh gosh, I can see me doing something like that!! I always buy BMC insurance when I go away (the last 3 times at least) and I never use it, I broke my camera, but didnt get round to claiming(silly I know), luckily it still works, just with no screen.
 red.stiletto 28 Jan 2010
In reply to Rob15:
Second what Benji said! We were on just one leg of the same trip as Benji and it was the best money I've spent in my life so far! As mentioned, you've gotta be in it for more than just climbing; you'll find there's better ways of achieving that. But as a chance to experience another part of the world, especially if you don't have the experience/guts/know how to organise it all yourself (or people to go with!) it's unbeatable.

Re the food dunno what the fuss is about, yes the budget is measly, but you won't starve and as I remember it (China) it cost around 10p a day to supplement this with more food - maybe up to 50p if we were being really extravagant! You'll need some extra cash for incidentals whatever you do (beer, taxis, laundry etc)

Not sure if I could stick it for more than one leg though, but that's because I'm inherently an antisocial person and a miserable g*t - if you're a people person (like my OH) you'll love it! ;D
OP Rob15 31 Jan 2010
In reply to all: Thanks for the advice everyone, i think it's something I'll definitely consider for the summer, if I fail to get a group of mates to come with me
In reply to Rob15:
Definitely it'll be awesome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...