UKC

NEWS: Scottish Winter Conditions - Full Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Jan 2010
[Skyscaper Buttress with climbers on Gamma Gully in the background, 3 kb]This is the fourth of our regular series of Scottish winter conditions updates from Dan Goodwin of MountainPlan.com.

Dan gives a round up of what has been climbed, where good venues for the weekend might be and also some very important links to avalanche and weather information. There are also reports from Mike Peascod and Mike Lates.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51507

PTatts 28 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Any idea if the curtain on ben nevis is in?
 3leggeddog 28 Jan 2010
In reply to PTatts:

I know it sounds old fashioned but use your brain. The curtain is little higher than the pictured cascades, same aspect, even feeds into them. What do you think?
 Dan Goodwin 28 Jan 2010
In reply to PTatts:

It's not there yet the top section has plenty of ice on it however the lower slab pitch was very thin earlier in the week, some more build up is required for the full length to come in !

Thanks Dan
 PTatts 28 Jan 2010
In reply to 3leggeddog:
I would think that it usually requires more build up than the other things around it and given the other response it would seem it's a pretty sensible question.
But what do you think?
 TobyA 28 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: Is there no news of the Great Prow on Blaven being done? Who by? How hard? etc. It has been mentioned a couple of times in the forums now.
In reply to PTatts:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Any idea if the curtain on ben nevis is in?

Looked at it yesterday and the bottom half is not even close. It has taken a bit of a hammering in the thaw
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> (In reply to tatz45)
>
> I know it sounds old fashioned but use your brain. The curtain is little higher than the pictured cascades, same aspect, even feeds into them. What do you think?

CIC falls can often be in when The Curtain isn't.
 Jamie Hageman 28 Jan 2010
In reply to TobyA: Simon Richardson and Iain Small climbed it on the 10th. VII/8
 TobyA 28 Jan 2010
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Cheers Jamie! I wonder if Mr Richardson will ever slow down?
 Jimmy56 28 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: The classic area of Antealch?
 3leggeddog 28 Jan 2010
In reply to PTatts:

> But what do you think?

I think we should be done with it. There should be a spreadsheet produced every Weds evening with ticks or crosses by each and every route.

As to the curtain, I would have given it 50/50 chance, plenty to go at all around it if its not there.

I have only just entered my 40's and already I feel old, out of touch and bewildered by new fangled modern practices

Tom Last 28 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing photo of Skyscraper Buttress.
 malx 02 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News: Is the clanger not a well established winter route?
or am i thinking of something else?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...